So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. lewiss66

lewiss66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also noticed this bike is missing a little bit of torque at middle revs. Like the XT660 which is more a heavy bike than the XC but responds better at that revs ( makes easier to lift the front wheel). So I wonder if It needs more air to come in ( with a aftermarket air filter) and some fuel mods ( resistors to trick the injection system and increase fuel). If you look at the torque curve It's very flat compare to the 660XT one. The problem is that it might increase a bit more the fuel consumption and then the bike will run under 100 MPG wich is not much. The tank is now the one to blame for and I think that it'll be a good idea to make a new mod to increase the fuel tank this time by rerouting the exhaust pipe under the engine living some free rooms to increase the size of the tank on the left and side and no more heat on left leg as well.
    What's your point of view?
  2. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Remove the inside cover of the airbox. The one that directly covers the airfilter element. This improves engine responsiveness.

And fit a 14 tooth front spocket.
  3. lewiss66

Oddometer:
    Thanks Max Kool,
    Do you mean removing the snorkel? How does it feel like? Do you still ear the engine?:rofl
    No, seriously I was thinking of installing an aftermarket filter.
    Does it also do the trick for the torque?
    14 tooth F.sprocket might help but it'll reduces the top speed.
    What's the new speed know? I've heard that the shifting between 1st & 2nd gears is improved
  4. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Yep, the snorkel thingy. I did that after a week on my Xchallenge, and I don't even know where I left it. Never put it back on. It makes the breathe more freely without much extra noise. All it does is produce a nice throaty snarl in the airbox.

I can't speak for any aftermarket filters, I still use the stock ones. They the Unifilter option releases another pony. Low down torque has improved though with just the snorkel removed, which was what I was looking for.

The 14 tooth front sprocket does reduce top speed, and on the street you don't really need it. Come to think of it, the Xcountry comes stock with a 16 tooth sprocket, so gearing down to 15 tooth will be more than enough without sacrificing top speed too much. I have an 18" rear wheel where the Xcountry has a 17" one. One tooth down on the front still makes the bike go over 95 mph, more than enough for me.

My bike shifts good anyway, it has never been a problem. A bit notchy and when it misses a gear it's always my left foot who's to blame. I have noticed though on both my F650 Dakar and my current Xchallenge semisynth does improve shifting.
  5. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Asaracho's bike, now my bike, and also for sale.

Too many bikes, not enough cash.

Do like the front fairing I added, though...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
  7. deli-g650

deli-g650 bring'n the funk

Oddometer:
    pfb
    so....... you bought arasacho bike and now your selling it.
    also....
    did you put the high fender on that bike? ----pics----

also looks like you got the fly screen mounted up..... hows it working out for ya?
  8. lewiss66

Oddometer:
    Great, What about your fuel consumption now?
    Still over 100MPG?
  9. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    100 mpg?? I've never reached that.

It all depends on you right wrist anyway. The more hooliganistic you ride, the worse it gets. But it's always better than any bike I've owned before. Most of the time between 20 and 25 kms to the ltr.
  10. lewiss66

Oddometer:
    Hoops! I mean 50MPG:knary That conversions drive me --. Actually km & liters sounds better for
    me!
    I drive about 160 km before the light blinks! That's not a lot tough.
  11. lewiss66

Oddometer:
    By the way Max, What about rerouting the pipes like the duke KTM or desert rally bikes to leave some rooms to be able to increase the fuel tank on the left end side. Possibly a gain of 3 liters still under the seat!
  12. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I think I have a better option. :D

[​IMG]

Fuel range now exceeds 300kms.
  13. deli-g650

deli-g650 bring'n the funk

Oddometer:
    i also removed the airbox cover and intalled an after-market foam filter. my seat of the pants dyno did notice a little gain. that mixed with the remus exhaust and (wow) seems like a new bike...
  14. lewiss66

Oddometer:
    yep! I saw your mod. It's a great idea and nicely designed. I was actually thinking of a more city oriented fuel tank since I ride it 70% to commute to work.
  15. lewiss66

Oddometer:
    Hi deli-g650,
    Did you notice an increase in the fuel consumption with all your mods?
  16. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Yea, I'm still not 100% sure I want to sell it, but I put it up on craigslist. Not trying to make any money off it, just get what I have into it. Not sure how often I would opt for the Country vs. the 950. Definitely better city bike, definitely a better "low" bike for my wife to ride, but I like power wheelies.

No, just reposting the pic from the German web site mentioned. Note no TKC's, hand guards, and the big license plate...

Like the fly screen very much. It not only helps with airflow, but the bike looks better with it IMHO. BMW screen is way expensive, this one is only $70 or so.
  17. Jiminy Cricket

Jiminy Cricket Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    pfb - is the 950 really so good on trails that it can make up for the extra hundred pounds it has on the xcountry? I know it has a 21" rim, better suspension, and better ground clearance, but i was just wondering how far the weight difference with the xcountry might go toward making it a preferred trail mount - power wheelies and meter high jumps notwithstanding?
  18. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    In a word, yes.

It's pretty impressive on technical trails. It can be a bitch to pick up, though, especially when wheels up on a slope. Of course you have to be willing to get a few scratches on the bike as well.
  19. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    What is the V-strom doing for you that the X-Country or the Ktm 950 can't?
    Just asking.
    Rob
  20. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Totaly legit question...

The Strom is set up with much more street oriented tires, and is a great road bike IMHO. It also is better for two-up riding. My wife isn't all that fond of the back of the 950. I personally wouldn't do more than fire roads on the Strom, but I know many here ride them like a dirt bike.

I'll also add that having so many dual-sport bikes is definitely redundant. I just enjoy trying many of them. I've had every flavor of BMW GS except for the 1200, KLR's, DRZs, XR's and a few others. I often buy them clean and used, like Asaracho's bike, to avoid massive first year depreciation and sell them a few months or years later.

I even tried a Harley last Summer. A gorgeous Superglide custom. It took about 3 rides to decide I'll stick to dual sports!