rnickymouse failure Mulholland fest

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by wiseblood, Jul 31, 2012.

1. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
  2. lgajohnymac

lgajohnymac Ride wrench wait

Oddometer:
    Right at one year.
  3. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been a while, I see...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xBZWjwHgveY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man I been on this site for a few years and never came across this before..
  5. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was it the chain? I can't really tell.
    :ear
  6. Antiquar

Antiquar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At the very least you can see the detached chain as the bike is rolled to the shoulder. Whether that CAUSED the crash...?
  7. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    you can see him smack the brakes right as he goes into the turn.....either way its a pretty stupid way to crash
  8. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    that was crazy He definitely spit the chain way before the crash He then pulled His clutch hand up He must have over braked the rear because it wasn't slowing down as anticipated when He let of the gas ?
  9. joef

joef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Give that man a shaft drive.
  10. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    So what's the scoop up on Mulholland...a friend told me he heard CHP was doing roadblocks or something? :ear
  11. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Rear brake high side classic.
  12. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    However the chain WAS off before the rear lockup, you can see the loop of it hanging down.

THEN the brake light goes on.
  13. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    thats the first Ive heard of it..... it wouldnt surprise me. It's pretty out of control out there many weekends, especially when its warm. Man as soon as that needle dips below 65, its a ghost town
  14. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    \Full screen on my 21" monitor, I can see the chain is VERY loose. It comes off he waves and starts coasting hits the brake, then it looks like the chain got caught between the sprocket and swingarm locking up the rear tire. I'm gonna say it was the chain.

Maintenance.... it can hurt,:deal
  15. NCStephen

NCStephen Riding NC

Oddometer:
    yup chain loose,hanging down, off the sprocket and I think that is why his hand is up... as in a problem, ie signal he is exiting, there is also a sharp cluck just before the rear wheel starts to slide. Perhaps where it got caught as mentioned.
  16. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    I don't see how the chain locked the rear wheel so I'm saying it was the brake. After all, if the chain jammed locking the rear wheel, the rider wouldn't THEN put on the rear brake so I reason that the rider wasn't sensing a locked or dragging rear wheel when he put on the brake.

Therefore the brake was what caused the high side - not the chain. That's my reasoning but I can't prove it even to myself.
  17. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brakes. Step through the slow-mo replay, you can see the chain's flopping about all through the crash. Plus, if it had jammed, it wouldn't have un-jammed by itself.

Why is it the R6 owners? I had a kid come take a basic class; rode his R6 up after lunch, asked what I thought. (I thougth if you were clever, you would have got endorsed before the $720 ticket / court ordered class... but I kept that thought in my head.)

I reached out with thumb and finger and plucked the chain off the rear sprocket and said "I think you should fix that..." He had no idea that chains need any sort of maintenance or adjusting. :baldy
  18. Lep

Lep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the loose chain video I think the rear wheel locked up because with the chain off it was no longer connected to the engine. Hence no engine parts inertia to overcome before the wheel locked.

I thought the rider did a pretty good job of trying to warn following riders he had a problem and he would not have expected the rear to lock up so readily.
  19. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    No, no, not that simple. Chain coming off doesn't ALWAYS lock up the rear immediately. So chain comes off, bike is still rolling, he waves, starts to brake. You can see this in the video. The chain is off first, then the brake light comes on.

THEN a second later the chain gets caught, locks up. After the bike takes a tumble and the wheel isn't turning forward any more, the chain comes loose again.

It's possible and I'm willing to give him credit for that being the scenario. Otherwise there is nothing about the chain being off that would motivate someone to lock up the rear brake. The wave (for whatever reason) which came after the chain was already off, indicates that he was hardly in a panic.
  20. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not so sure. At first he's obviously on the front brake, right foot up on the ball. Then you can just barely see his right leg move and the rear locks up. As soon as the bike pitches enough to move his body, at like 1:29,you can see the wheel start moving again.