I need a decent adventure tail bag

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by scottrnelson, Oct 21, 2013.

1. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    When I'm out riding on the big KTM, I have two huge panniers that I can put a lot of stuff into. However, on the XR650L, so far it's been the few tools I can fit into the little tail pack thingy right behind the seat, or whatever I am willing to carry in a backpack.

I was on a ride on Saturday with a few other riders and one of the KLR650's got a flat front tire. He had a spare tube and the right tools to fix it in his tail bag (after using a big log to get the front wheel off of the ground). If I were on my XR650L on that ride and had the same issue I would be stuck many miles from anywhere and no way to fix the thing.

So I'm looking to put a metal rack on the back and would like to find a decent tailbag that can hold a first aid kit, a few tools, some bottles of water and maybe a couple of spare tubes. I would like something that doesn't need separate bungee cords to attach it to a rear rack, but that doesn't take five minutes of unwrapping to get to whatever is inside it.

What suggestions do you all have?

I would like to make my XR a bit more adventure ready. I figure it could be me next time with the flat tire.
  2. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had good luck with my Motofizz medium sized tail bag.

Straps on easily, securely, and accessible from either end. More straps and strings than is necessary, but the unessential can be easily removed.

I've used it on several weeklong trips including some mild off-road with no problems.

Available from Aerostich, so a bit pricy... http://www.aerostich.com/medium-motofizz-camping-seat-bag.html

No affiliation...

NFE
  3. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Okay, I can see that the Motofizz has everything that I want but the price. I have something to compare others to.

Now if I can find something roughly similar for about $120 less I'll be all set. :evil
  4. Auto-X Fil

Auto-X Fil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Okay, the Wolf tail bag looks good and I like the price better.

Anybody else have a recommendation?
  6. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use this on my V-Strom when I don't need the hard bags... Expands sideways when needed. Built in bungee cords...

No reason it could not work on an XR.. Under $60, so the price is right..

MotoCentric

[​IMG]

On the back of my Strom..

[​IMG]
  7. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
  8. D R

D R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at Pelican Cases? I've seen plenty of motorcycles with them bolted (using brackets) on to tail racks.
  9. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I'm not interested in anything hard attached to the back of the XR. I don't want anybody mistaking it for a KLR. :D

I'm after something that is fairly small when there isn't much in it, but can be easily installed and removed when the need arises. I'm thinking that I'll take it off of the XR and toss it into one of the KTM cases when I'm going out into the dirt on that one, then I'll stick it back on the XR when heading off for an "adventure". That way, all of the tire changing stuff and first aid kit will be in one place and I'll be more likely to take it along when I might need it. Plus I could attach it as a tail bag on the KTM and leave those big aluminum cases at home for some rides.
  10. gastone

gastone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out the Kriega stuff. A US30 would work well.
  11. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
  12. jeffjones

jeffjones "offroad shit"

Oddometer:
  13. bigphish

bigphish Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer:
    Wandering WNC and sometimes in Costa Rica
    MotoFizz. The best tailbag I have ever owned
  14. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I already have a tool bag from Moose, that is a slightly taller version of the stock tool bag that originally came with the XR650L. That's good enough for a few tools and things, but not big enough for tire irons and an air pump and you would not be able to fit two tubes in there.

But I'll look over whatever else Moose has. They make good off road stuff.
  15. jeffjones

jeffjones "offroad shit"

Oddometer:
    the first link in my post above is biggest you could get away without a rack and the second link is a good size tail bag that would need a rack and could fit what your asking to.. its $99 retail, but i'm sure it could be had for 80 or less somewhere.
  16. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fit Motion Pro Bead-Breaker levers, 2 T6 combo levers, a mtn bike pump, 2 HD tubes, a BeadBuddyII, and more into a Moose Dualsport front fenderpack on a braced fender.

How big of a tailpack do you need?
  17. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Big enough to hold what's on your list, plus a decent first aid kit and two small water bottles.
  18. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I found just the right one - at the local motorcycle shop.

I stopped in at Folsom Cycle (my favorite local shop) to see if they had any other options. First they showed me one of those Moose Racing ones as has already been mentioned here, that is slightly larger than the one I already have on the back of the bike - too small. Then they showed me a huge yellow pack that might work on the KTM for a week-long trip - way too big for the XR.

Finally, they showed me one of these - perfect.
    [​IMG]

And because they had lost the straps that allow you to turn it into a backpack, they knocked twenty bucks off of the price. I'm happy now.

I just need to load all of the right stuff into it and I'll be set to ride out in the middle of nowhere, far from civilization. And it will be easier to make sure that I bring the right stuff every time I'll need it. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Here's the full description:
    http://www.oemcycle.com/Products/Luggage+Tail_Trunk_Bags+Fly_Racing_FLY_GRANDE_TAIL_BAG
  19. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a XRL with a similar top bag...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Works great and as another inmate mentioned, it expands sideways!

Make a tool tube and mount it to the front of the frame down low. I had one on my bike as well. Place all the heavy tools in it.
  20. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer: