Where are all the supermotos going?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grinder96, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    HP isn't all about top speed. :rolleyes
  2. sagebrushocean

sagebrushocean Harris's hawker

Oddometer:
    My (not so)supermoto is going ... to work. I never carry a pillion, never need to transport anything that won't fit in a small waterproof backpack, never need to go faster than about 75mph, and don't need to accelerate quicker than your average muscle car (0-60 in less than 5 sec on the DR650, FMF/airbox/jetted). My stripped-down DR650 (346 pounds with 5gal of fuel) is light, nimble, low maintenance, indestructible, easy on gas, perfect for low speed rough urban roads (sticky tires, plenty of suspension travel), adequate passing power even at 75mph, and has an upright riding position for good visibility in traffic. $65 per year full coverage insurance. A Laminar Lip windscreen makes the freeway segment more pleasant. I park inside my building at work -- free covered parking! :evil I would like to have a better front brake than the stock DR -- planning to try a braided line and (if necessary) a 320mm rotor.

As a purely practical matter, it saves me $1000/yr on fuel, and it also makes my 18-mile commute a bit of fun instead of just a slog in my truck.

ALL motorcycles are limited-use vehicles. My homebrew sm is a great urban commuter. It wouldn't be my first choice for a x-country ride, but if I felt like going around the continent, I wouldn't hesitate to go on the DR, with either the sm or dirt wheelset. It doesn't have 50hp, but any cage that leaves the stoplight quicker than I do isn't going to impede my commute anyway.

Attached Files:

3. grinder96

grinder96 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, quite the debate.....

I don't think I meant for this to define what a SM should be or the horsepower they should make. That will change from person to person depending on one's own needs/wants! Bikes are fun from a DR200 to a KTM 990 to my son's XR80 to the Ducati. They all have different characteristics, purposes and looks. All the bikes I have owned have put a smile on my face. I just have to admit the SM's have put that extra Mona lisa smirk at the end of my existing smile!!

Yes, through reading your posts I get that a one bike stable may not choose a SM as the most versatile choice of bike, but most people I know have at least two and I would think the SM would be the second (maybe third) choice. I guess I am one of the small percentage of people in love with the SM market...
  4. grinder96

grinder96 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get that Duc rolling!!!

I have a ST4s that I keep trying to sell but two thinks stop me:
    A) I can't get sh!t for it...too much bike for very little money
    B) every time I throw a leg over it I fall in love with that torquey 100+ horsepower twin and the narrow, flickable body......mmmmmmmMMMMMM..with bags no less:rofl

PM me details on the KTM....I'm looking for a 950/990 ADV to add to my collection!!
  5. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    one thing that would sell a ton more is drop height.
    35" seat height on a street bike?
    drop down 2-3 inches, that would still give 7-8" of ground clearance/travel and improve street dirt road handling. easier turn transitions, easier sliding on dirt, OK so less good on big air jumps.

unless a rider is used to 35"seat height via a dirt background, it scares the hell out of many street riders. the small bores mentioned are bought be many new riders, height is bad for them.

going with a lower pipe would help handling as well, since they are quite heavy, get the weight low.

Bike Mfr are dumb as hell sometimes. I should be paid big bucks by these dumb bastards to tell them why their shit doesnt sell. but it would never get past the suit committee.
    Dont get me started on the stink bug rear ends on dually bikes that imitate sport bikes.....
  6. 0ldhippie

0ldhippie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm having a hard time getting into the supermoto thing? I got a drz400s and put 17s on it because I rarely go off road anymore thinking it would make a fun local bike. The fact is, it just doesn't have enough power to be much fun and isn't comfortable much over 55mph for any time/distance no matter how twisty the road is. This plus no wind protection or real storage options make it pretty unpractical and unfun. Still I'm not giving up yet and plan to hot rod the motor for some power but it just will never be a do-all bike. It really does need to be a second or third bike and that's what keeps sales low imho.
  7. sagebrushocean

sagebrushocean Harris's hawker

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C-GuIDbaews" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. grinder96

grinder96 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly!!!! :clap
  9. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    Ditto. In town riding, what more do you need than something nimble and quick. :huh

A 630 SM would do me proud on the street and for trackdays. I'm not concerned with top speed, but handling. For me, 100 bhp is enough. Less so much the better - allows me to really use all the bike has to offer.

Weigh the costs into it and it's amazing what you get for the money and the insurance is a joke.

I'm lining up for a 570 and a 450X, far more fun.
  10. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    Their popularity seems to have faded a bit. I was really into them about 10 years ago. I like my 18r and 21 inch wheels just fine for my old XT. I can get Avon distansias and call it my supermoto. Or IRC GP 110's and it's my dual sport which I like a bit better than supermoto. Big singles vibrate too so long road trips aren't any fun.
  11. Just GO!

Just GO! I wish I were good at something.

Oddometer:
    I got bitten last fall after riding with a couple friends who were on SM's. One was a Husky 610SM and the other a motarded KLX400 (DRZ400S) with performance mods. We were mostly riding on tight, twisty, county roads in West Virginia. I was surprised at how fast they were.

A few weeks later I got to ride that motarded KLX and see for myself what all the hub-bub was about.

I now own this....................

[​IMG]

........and I live just minutes from some really nice roads in SE Ohio. The purchase price was such that I'll be able to hot rod it and still not be in too deep.

I have a feeling that I'll be havin' some fun in 2012. Ain't that what it's all about anyway? :clap
  12. bobbed06

bobbed06 Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer:
    Nice.... I need a set of SM wheels for my DRZ. I am gonna run harder longer lasting sport touring type road tires so that I can drift more and save some dough on tires.
  13. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love those yellow DRZ SM's! That bike will be a hoot in SE Ohio.
  14. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    It's like fashion, they'll be coming out again when the old ones are coming back to live and it's "cool" to ride them again :lol3
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    yes .. I knew there was a reason to get the SM630 in addition to the TE630

The SM630 will easily cruise at 75 with two up. The only issue I see with it is my FJR will eliminate 500+ mile
    days better due to the wind protection. Around town.. The SM630 is hands down
    better than 99% of the bikes you can purchase.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    Yamaha and Suzuki had to cut back for the time being. The factory supermotos will be back.
    What is not to love about this?
    [​IMG]
  17. kalonji

kalonji nihilism or nothing

Oddometer:
    Have y'all considered the aprilia dorsoduro?
  18. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    bah. hah.
  19. grinder96

grinder96 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The dorsedoro IMHO falls into a "dirt riding position" on full street bike catagory. Like the Ducati hypermotard they gain an extra cylinder and a bunch of weight with the Dorso at 366 and the hyper at 390 lbs. Don't get me wrong I would love one!!! I just think in the spirit of supermoto lightweight and single (with the exception of Aprilias RXV, super light and a twin) is the formula.
  20. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Have put a lot of miles on a bunch of different SM bikes over the last few years, and my favorite setup so far is a stock 18" rear wheel and a 19" front wheel (19 x 2.15 rear rim laced-up to the front hub). Just a little bit more versatile than dedicated SM wheels. Like having an extra 18" rear wheel and there's a a pretty wide selection of tires available in those sizes, from street to full-on knobbies. Think I might lace-up an 18" front wheel next time though, just so I can run the same tires/tubes front and rear. Have a few extra sets of factory KTM SM wheels and have noticed that there's not much of a market for them. Really don't understand why. Personally, would much rather ride a dirtbike on the street than just about anything else, especially dicing through traffic and riding aggressively/defensively.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]