NW North Carolina- Foothills Rides and Dinners thread

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by SidewinderX, Aug 12, 2011.

1. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    If you enjoy riding up to the mountains with your family to choose and cut your tree, one of my neighbors is giving them away for free. There's a variety of sizes, & pretty nice shapes. I didn't see any "Charlie Brown" trees.

They are on Wards Branch Rd, just off Hwy 321. About 20 minutes West of Boone. Bring a saw and wear boots or shoes with good grip, because it's steep. I got our tree a couple days ago, there were a few hundred (200-400?). Nobody was there, but a sign said "Be careful it's steep, take all you need for friends & family. God bless."

They aren't bundled, so are bulky. Need a pick-up, or maybe you can wrap it up in a tarp?

Ho! Ho! Ho!
  2. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Resurrection---- Any Doe Mt updates?
  3. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Doe Mtn. is open. I bought a pass. ($60 per year, or $18 per day) But I haven't been riding there much yet. They don't have many technical trails yet (that I've heard of). Mostly easier two way trails. Even the tighter trails are two way. I'd planned on helping develop & clear motorcycle trails, but I'm not as excited about it now. (I was really disappointed that they are charging $18 for a day) I'll be happy to meet up & ride on Doe if anybody wants to sometime.

The main reason I haven't been riding there is because I have been riding on Stone Mtn., which is almost all steep technical riding, it's 1000' higher, has 10 times more trails, and it's only 15 minutes from my door. I'm always happy to show anybody the trails there too. Or I can give a list of the entrance roads if you'd rather explore it on your own, although it's a bit extreme to safely explore solo.
  4. Hoodis

Hoodis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is my understanding that there are several "Stone Mountains" in the general vicinity of Boone? May I ask where this particular mountain resides?

Thanks...
  5. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    It's the TN/NC state line, between Boone & Mtn. City. Doe Mtn. lies between Stone Mtn. & Iron Mtn., they are all long ridges that run North/South.
  6. Hoodis

Hoodis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about NE or SW of Locust Gap? Cracker's Neck area on the TN side?
  7. SidewinderX

Oddometer:
    Glenn,
    Do we need a tag for Stone Mt.?
  8. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    PMs sent
  9. SidewinderX

Oddometer:
    I rode through the area a little Saturday morning. I saw trails leading everywhere off 67....
  10. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    67 runs between Doe & Iron Mtns. You can see the Stone Mtn. trails from 167, which runs between Stone & Doe.

I'm not sure which trails you saw from 67, but there is a lot of logging all the time up here, so there are trails everywhere. The tricky part is finding large tracts that all connect.

Btw, 167 & 67 meet in Butler, TN. I heard that the Doe Mtn. trails might eventually reach that intersection. That area is supposed to be very steep & technical, so I don't know if there will ever be an access point to the trails there or not, but it gives you an idea of the size of the mountain. The North end is right behind the shopping center with the Hardees, which "may" become an access point for gas & food.
    There is an access point from a campground on Mining Town Rd, off 167.

A buddy & I hauled the ATVs & chainsaw to Stone Saturday. We opened a couple very steep long trails and discovered a few that I hadn't ridden before. They weren't rocky, but will still be quite a challenge on motos. I rode Sunday and my d/s tires didn't have a chance on those hills.
  11. SidewinderX

Oddometer:
    OK. So I was rolling down 67 from Butler to Mt City. The trails were just past Butler on my right side. If I am following your topography, then as I travel toward Mt City on 67- Iron Mt is to my left, Doe Mt is to my right. Stone Mt is on the other side of 167 (which splits Doe and Stone..)..

App trail follows Iron Mt ridge top.... I think

The trails that I saw were kinda fresh. A few ATV track trails and a few bike only trails leaving out from Hwy 67. Possibly they connect to the Doe Mt trail system by locals who dont wanna pay the fee?? idk
  12. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Correct on all accounts.

I don't think you can see any of the trails on Doe from 67 (but maybe you can in some spots). You can see the prison from the Doe Mtn. fire tower. None (or almost none) of the OHV area is directly on Hwy 67. The official entrance & parking lot is on Harbin Hill Rd.

Daniel,
    Are you still looking for a mountain cabin? There's a nice one for sale on Seasons Dr. (at the intersection of Bulldog Rd/Beaver Dam, and North Fork Rd.) It's surrounded by great trails & roads. Not too fancy, but not too shabby, no idea of the asking price.
  13. turtlemoye

turtlemoye I'd rather not be online. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That may sound like a lot if there are other places close by to ride but it's still cheaper than Brushy Mountain. It's $25 a day or $250 annually but does have bike only trails, all trails are directional, and they do have a motocross track and some facilities. Haven't been to Doe so it still may be over priced.

I'll be riding in Mt Rodgers this weekend but not sure if it will be Sat or Sun. I kinda wish I could hit Stone with you the opposite day. Might be too much this weekend but I'll get up there soon.
  14. Skarsaune

Skarsaune lurker surfacing....

Oddometer:
    Moving to Elizabethton (or thereabouts) in two weeks - really looking forward to exploring the area!
  15. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

Welcome to the area & ADVrider. Whatever you ride you're in for a treat. :thumb
  16. mcook0525

mcook0525 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hickory area here. Just sold my WRR, but should be back on something in the next week..just gotta find something I like.
  17. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm game!
  18. callison

callison Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding and eating, two of my favorite things, add in drinking and we've got the trifecta.

I'm game.
  19. kickstand72

kickstand72 i just ride..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too busy at work next couple of weeks :cry. Just post something. Who knows.
  20. SidewinderX

Oddometer:
    I'm in Colorado right now but will be back after Easter.

Let's get together and ride soon!

Where do you call home KMW?