Hotrodding the GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Poolside, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    Careful Babo, the planet is about to be eaten by a giant space goat!

<BR>
  2. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Is that another belief?

JJ
  3. J-Dub

J-Dub Combat Commuter

Oddometer:
    Poolside and JJ,
    I've read the entire thread, and I may have missed it, but does altitude have any effect on the operation of this device, i.e., enrichening/leaning the A/F ratio? I'm thinking about fouled plugs, but maybe I've been messing with my old Triumph too much.
  4. einnar

einnar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! :D

5. Babo

Babo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd much rather have remote sensor encased in thin metal than a sensor buried under plastics that is subject to the bikes radiant heat. A trade-off I'm sure, and perhaps inconsequential.

FWIW, I've tested the responsiveness of a remote sensor (boosterplug) with a GS911 and found that temp changes are almost instantaneous - certainly as quick as the AIT anyway.

Regardless, there are other reasons why some vendors use a sensor in addition to the stock AIT, and there are successful vendors that don't...does the IICE Air use one?
  6. johnjen

Oddometer:
    Then your choice of air temp mods is the right one for you.

Yes the IICE Air uses remote sensors.

JJ
  7. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>If the remote sensor is anywhere on the bike, it is subject to the heat from the bike. The several and various tests I performed proved that. A consequence of those tests was that I proved it to myself, because I was believing the same thing.

If you want the sensor to not be affected by the heat from the bike, the sensor must be mounted 5 feet to the side of the bike. I'm not joking, that's actually how it is. I performed those tests too.
    </td></tr></table>
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>Yes there is no substantive difference between the slightly slower response time of a metal enclosed sensing element, vs. a plastic enclosed element, vs. an exposed element.</td></tr></table>
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>The IICE Air uses separate sensors and also uses the stock Intake Air Temperature sensor. Multiple sensors makes it adjustable.

Something to note Babo, if you decide to get the second IICE Cool product. If the IICE Cool is used in conjunction with other non-adjustable products, the motor runs too rich.
    </td></tr></table>

Pre-Order Sale - 7 Days Remaining
    IICE Air Vendors Thread:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667661

grpweld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I have not preformed any scientific tests as you have, I have a hard time believing that traversing down a road at 35,45,55,65,75mph that the temp sensor would not see a difference if behind the oil cooler,next to exaust pipe, ect... than some where that gets outside ambient air flow.
    respectfully

edit: are you saying that the intake track gets the same air as ambient outside air?
  9. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>Good thoughts. I was thinking all those things before doing the tests.

Here's one way to visualize it. There is no "outside" airflow on a bike. You're either 'downwind' of something that's putting off heat, or your not. If you're not, then the airflow reaching you is ambient temperature.

In answer to your intake air temp question, yes. When the bike is moving, the intake air snorkel gets ambient air.

When the bike is stopped however, there aren't any cool spots. Everything is picking up convection heat. Under the seat, up around the steering head area, the intake snorkel, everything.

On kind of a side note, here's something worth mentioning. Heat also travels from one object to another through radiant transmission. Radiant transmission is based on whether the hot object is in your line of sight. If you can't 'see' it, and I mean that literally as 'in your line of sight', then it can't conduct radiant heat to you.

That's why a simple non-contact opaque surface will block radiant heat from an exhaust pipe, no insulation necessary. And why it's cooler (ambient temp) in the shade.

Also, radiant heat is independent of airflow. It doesn't travel through air, it travels through space, in all directions, in the form of infrared light.

So if you mounted an air temp sensor so that it could 'see' an exhaust pipe, then the sensor would receive radiated heat. By 'see' I mean that the exhaust is visible from the vantage point of the sensor element.
    </td></tr></table>
    <BR>
  10. Stinkyb

Stinkyb GS"eh" rider

Oddometer:
    Ok, Ive been following this thread for some time...lots of long winded conversations.
    Im not asking a complicated question as to the operational parameters or how the shit works......thank god
    Do you have a site up an going for purchases and perhaps a simplistic explaination without having to sift through 10 pages of thread.
    O and a pic by pic walkthrough installation, I like pictures:D
  11. johnjen

Oddometer:
    It's real simple.
    Unplug the stock sensor. You'll know it is the right one because its on the air box.
    Plug the IICE Air into the 2 available connections,
    drive away.

About as simple as it gets.

JJ
  12. johnjen

Oddometer:
    With modern fuel injection fouled plugs are a thing of the past. But if there is a problem with your ignition system or the EFI itself, it is possible to foul plug(s). But these mods won't be the cause.

JJ
  13. J-Dub

J-Dub Combat Commuter

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks. Order placed.
  14. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    I would call it a replacement. I mean, the IICE Air is a similar product, and it works the same way, except it's adjustable.

The adjustability lets it operate better over the full hot and cold ambient temperature range. And it will operate better in conjunction with the upcoming IICE Cool product. The non-adjustable devices if used with the IICE cool will run a little rich, but you can always disconnect them and run the IICE Cool alone, for a 2/3 improvement.

<BR>
  15. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I don't want to read this shit. Wouldn't understand it if I did.

1) Adjustable? Me no likey adjustable if by adjustable we mean I have to tinker with it (altitude, season etc) after I get it set for my home conditions.

2) Do it work?

Answer 1) and I'll trust y'all on 2). You seem like straight up fellas and...I know where to find you. lol.
  16. Babo

Babo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...

While there are certainly some well know products in this category that don't adjust for ambient temperature, one of the features of the Booster Plug is that Jens has figured out a way to makes certain that the ecu reads a consistant temperature regardless of ambient temps. He's got pretty charts on his site that explain it, and it has been independently tested to be true.

I get that yours is user adjustable and will be optimized to work with you second, forthcoming product, but wonder why are you are specifically lumping the Booster Plug into this category?
  17. Jltrd

Jltrd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After reading and re-reading all of the posts there is one question that has not been answered. Why only one batch of the IICE Air? If your products are going to work as advertised why limit the amount of people that can buy it? I decided to get the booster plug after I read all of the positive user reviews. It would seem that positive reviews of your product would only increase interest. It takes alot of faith to buy something that no one has tried before especially when it is a one time only offer. P.S. How much is the IICE Cool going to cost?
  18. Airman Jack

Airman Jack Faster! Lower! Faster!

Oddometer:
    Have you sorted out exactly how we would be adjusting the IICE Air? Is it something that you have to twist with a phillips screwdriver, or will it have a knob that can be twisted by gloved or ungloved hands? How clear are the markings to indicate the current setting?
  19. CamoGreg

CamoGreg aka Camorpheus

Oddometer:
    From what I remember reading. It's a jumper setting. Just like on installing a hard drive. That's why there's a plastic snap cap.

It won't be something you can adjust on the fly.
  20. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    :lol3 Thanks sog!

It's adjustable to one of 4 settings. One click less when it's really hot, and one click more when it's really cold.

It adjustable like CamoGreg said above. A jumper setting under a pop top.

Or you can leave it in the middle setting all the time if you like. That is the same as the other non-adjustable products.

<BR>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.