Oklahoma City Metro Thread

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Dadayama, Apr 25, 2012.

1. durtrider

durtrider adventure sow

Oddometer:
    It was great putting names to faces!
    I think we started with 10 of us, then two more showed up a little later. Then Cropear rode by and saw some of us standing out front, so he pulled in.
    [​IMG]

A great night for good food and new friends.

[​IMG]

It was great to meet all you guys!
  2. Dadayama

Dadayama Constant Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    IN! Just called in my registration.
  4. fonebone77

fonebone77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am also registered for the Sooner ride this weekend. Curious that they call it the Sooner Adventure but are riding to Stillwater. Maybe that IS the adventure!
  5. Dadayama

Oddometer:
  6. durtrider

durtrider adventure sow

Oddometer:
    And wish I could go Sunday but I have to work. Last year we rode in the rain and mud and had a blast, but you should have some "premo" weather this time!
  7. Dadayama

Oddometer:
    A few of us are going to meet at the Braums at 63rd and I-35, then head to Hogback Road to Route 66 to Seaba Station for the the Sooner Adventure Ride...

Some of us have only given our names so we need to show up about 8-ish to pay and get registered... they are planning on having a rider meeting at 8:30am...

Kick-stands up at 7:15 from the Braums parking lot if anyone wants to come along.

[​IMG]

Google map link
  8. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We need some Oklahoma partipication in the Usa Tor tag game.

Since I currently have the tag but can not make the Seba Station ride tomorrow I am going to hide the nut very close to Seba Station this evening. Someone needs to retrieve the nut in the morning and take him n the ride. Then place him somewhere in the next few days. Here he is in the 'wing driver seat.

Check the Usa Tor thread later tonight for the hide location.

If you are not familar with this game check the Usa Tor thread.

[​IMG]
  9. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    I placed the nut, for the drop photos and instructions linky

Someone please pick him up!

10. fonebone77

fonebone77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to thank the guys that were with me on the Sooner ride yesterday that helped me get my bike back up and straightened out enough to ride home. It looks like the only thing that I will need to replace to get the bike going again is the radiator. I am going to take it to a radiator shop and have them look at it but its pretty bent. I think I will just epoxy the cracked fairing, if i happen to see one the right color on ebay for cheap I might pick it up, its a KLR its ugly anyways.

[​IMG]
  11. Mental3dge

Mental3dge Based

Oddometer:
    That's a bit worse than it looked still on the bike. I'm guessing it made the ride home without further event?
  12. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had this place bookmarked in case I ever found myself with radiator troubles like you have now. I've hear good things about them from fellow adv'ers. You should at least check their website, some of the radiators they show actually look as bad or worse than yours and they were able to fix them. Have you priced a new one yet? I've heard they're pricey and I've also heard some makes of auto heater cores will practically bolt right up to a klr for a lot less money. Worth checking out at least.

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/miscpage_004.asp

It wouldn't be a proper klr if you did not stitch the fairing together with zip ties! Also google "zip tie plastic welding." can be done with soldering iron...although I've never personally tried it.

Good luck with the repairs!

13. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. fonebone77

fonebone77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So as an update on my repairs. I am going to zip tie stitch the fairing, I dont have the patience for doing something like the zip tie welding. :p The radiator repair guy sais he thinks he can get that fixed up. The fan switch that plugs into the radiator also broke, but only the connector part. I think the switch itself probably still works and the blades are sticking out of it so I am just going to cut the connector off the wiring harness (which i think is hosed anyways) and throw some female blade connectors on the wires. So I am basically getting out of it for the price of the radiator repair, some zip ties, some connectors, and some anti freeze. Not too bad considering I was probably doin 30 mph when I binned it. :p
  15. durtrider

durtrider adventure sow

Oddometer:
    Tell us about your git-off fonebone!

If you tell us you took a dirt nap then you have to tell the story of how it happened.

:ear

Pictures?
  16. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    And what bike is that twisted radiator from?

17. fonebone77

fonebone77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well. I was doing the Sooner ride with a couple of the other guys here. We were on a dirt road about 8 miles east of Guthrie. I was in the back because im slow and dont have much experience with dirt. There were some muddy ridges in the road and I just got too close to one and the front wheel caught it and crossed me up. I guess I kind of jumped off the bike or was thrown forward and left as it stopped rather suddenly and landed on my left side. It knocked the air out of me and I had what I think is a deep bone bruise on my hip (seems to be healing fine) but other than being sore, I was ok. The bike landed on the left front fairing, which on the KLR is attached to the radiator which is what caused the radiator to tweak. The bars turned back to the right as the bike fell I guess because they didnt have any damage.

Unfortunately I didnt stick around long enough for pictures. I was hurting a bit and angry at myself and was not really in the mood at the time. :p The damage wasnt all that apparent outside of the fairing bending kind of weird due to its mount point on the radiator being about 2 inches out of place. I thought the radiator had maybe cracked at first but the fluid was actually coming out where the fan switch screws into the radiator because it had come unscrewed a little. I tightened it up and was able to ride the bike home fine. Fortunately nothing seems to be bent in the forks or bars so I think I dodged a bullet.

Probably what has taken the biggest hit is my wife is now not very excited about me riding on rough stuff so I may have to sweet talk her for a while before I get back in the dirt kinda stuff again. :D

edit: It is a KLR650 ShawneeBill
  18. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you are now ready to take a ride on the Oklahoma Adventure Trail :wink:

19. Dadayama

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately we didn't think of pics until the bike was back up ...
  20. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you remember I tried (jokingly) to get him to lay the bike back on it's side so I could get pics, but he was in no mood for that, understandably!

It was clear from looking at his tracks, he was riding thru a rutted up, mostly dried up, mud hole and there was a pretty sizeable ridge on his right. Like he said, his front tire hit the edge of the ridge and he got crossed up and was thrown on his left side.

Guess his riding buddies are remiss in not getting pictures to tell the story! We'll make sure that doesn't happen again! :lol3