KLR 650 Modifications

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by VascoMerlin, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Dblarrow

Dblarrow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did the Alaska trip with the Shinko 705's on the rear. Just over 7500 miles. Did 140/80 on my 650 and did the 130/90 on the 250 - sized up. Only real dirt was the Campbell Hwy. I was overly happy with the tires.

edit - guess I should mention, I did get something to tear a hole in the tire on the Campbell which caused me to bite it. After wearing a hole in the new tube I put a patch on the inside of the tire and she worked great for the rest of the trip.
  2. Cabrito

Cabrito I come in peace Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the MT21 up front a lot.

[​IMG]
  3. WVDingo

WVDingo Guinea Pig

Oddometer:
    705 fan as well. I had a set pretty well worn down and rode in some mud/slick conditions as well as leaf covered dirt. Didn't have any issues. Mileage and performance for the price is good.
  4. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. 705's would be my go-to tire for general use and bang-for-the-buck value .. just like the KLR, they can handle a WIDE range of uses and do surprisingly well .. I have used them on long highway trips and for bombing through the trails in the Smokies and never had a hiccup with them .. again, I was pretty surprised what they can dig through with a little airing down .. air them back up and they behave very well through the twisties and on the highway at 70mph ..

.. but if your hitting anything "more aggressive" the 606s and the T63s are awesome .. but, you won't get the mileage out of them like you can with some 705s ..

.. admittedly, I have never tried the Hen's or Gripsters .. never felt a need to ..
  5. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    I started my KLR650 life with the Shinko/Golden Boy 705's, I didnt like how they behaved in gravel. Then, up front, I went to a Metzler Karoo and was happier even though they make a sound like a police siren. Maybe I lost 1000 miles of wear in the change. Last week I put on a T63 and like it better than the Karoo.
    Its mostly a backroad commuter with 3 miles of dirt, but onces or three times a year I'll go on a dualsport adventure for 1000 miles or so.
    My dislike of the 705's may have stemmed from my inexperience in the dirt.
  6. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    I just got a pair of Shinko 700's coming in the mail if anyone's interested in seeing how i like them. I ride a LOT of dirt roads, so I figured they'd be perfect since it's also my commuter.
  7. wparkinson

wparkinson Gear Whore

Oddometer:
    Why no love for the Kenda brand here....

I have two KLRs one I use for mostly Offroad and the other for Mostly ON... Now on my "Offroad" bike I run the Trackmaster 2 and the on road bike I use the Kenda 270.

I Get really good milage out of the 270 for the most part and the Cost per mile is pretty good. I think I am getting 4K=/- out of the rear... and the front I am not sure but it is going pretty good.

The TM2 Is a really good offroad tire in my opinion... i have worn out many sets of them on my original Offroad bike... They hook up really well in the dirt, Sand, mud and handle pretty well on road too.... I have used the D606 and hate it.. I think its too slippy in the dirt for me..... plus I have ripped side lugs off of them and that has never occured with the TM2s. Now one thing I do notice on the TM2 front is it likes to scolliop but if you turn it around it will even out and nearly double the life.....

Just my .02 worth....

WP
  8. <RP><

<RP>< Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody ever try a trials tire on the KLR? One of my experienced dirt riding buddies swear by them.
  9. SkiBumBrian

SkiBumBrian DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer:
    A couple of my buddies run them too. They love them and run enduro races with them. I would like to try them out...m
  10. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't come in 17". Otherwise, there would be some of us that would try them.
  11. <RP><

<RP>< Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That would explain why I can't find any and it just made tire shopping a whole lot easier.
  12. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I have Kenda 270's on my KLR. Probably the only one that makes a 3.25 for the front which I love on these loose gravel , freshly graded , roads I like to roam about on in SW Louisiana. Like the bigger tire in the back also.

But , now waiting on shifter spring that broke the other day and left me in 1st gear a few miles out of town. Sigh! Glad I was not a 1000 or so miles from home. :freaky
  13. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumperâ„¢

Oddometer:
    I had D606's on my 88, when I did the last camp n ride in the begininng of February I put them on my 09 and they worked ok. I have a TM II on my Dr350 rear and a Pirelli Scorpion Pro on the front and love the combo. I ran over a nail and destroyed the rear 606 and ordered a TM II for that rim combo and will finish out with the 606 front. I use Kenda 760's on my 09 rims for street duty.
  14. wparkinson

wparkinson Gear Whore

Oddometer:
    I broke my sifter off once.... not just the shifter but the shift rod... that was fun.. Damn that snow and ice...... :lol3
  15. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    and track master II's on my off road KLR, same as you.

"I have two KLRs one I use for mostly Offroad and the other for Mostly ON... Now on my "Offroad" bike I run the Trackmaster 2 and the on road bike I use the Kenda 270."

...but I think I'm going to put the 270's on the off road bike also since it's going to see some more pavement use this year.
  16. dvgonzo

dvgonzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    7000 MILES!? I have been riding a l--o--n--g time and NEVER have I EVER gotten 7 K out of any M/C tire! Street, dirt, DS, ANY M/C tire! I wish I could! AND sometimes I have even wore em down to where I can about see through them. I guess I am just hard on tires.

I never have tried the MT21's and need to as I know a couple buds got pretty good mileage out of them, and on bigger bikes as well. Come to think of it I used to run them on ALL my street bikes years back and liked them alot! Need to put that tire on my must try list.

I have gotten almost 6K on a Gripster in the rear on the KLR. That was about the logest tire life I ever saw.

I did put a set of 606's on my WR for the dirt and as somebody already mentioned I HATED them when it got wet, you found some mud, or crossed a stream. Man they were slippery as can be for that dirt scoot, but on the front of the KLR they really do work a lot better....probably all that extra weight. Well, that and I do not push the KLR near as hard off road as I do a real dirt bike.
  17. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    Mentioned before i am a fan of the 705's, mostly for street and gravel. Have the MT21's on the DRZ and they are fantastic.
  18. DesertDuster

DesertDuster Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I like the performance of the MT21 up front. It has a firm sidewall and I was able to ride for miles on a front flat without any problems.
  19. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    I am liking the 700 rear paired with a TKC front for now. I am thinking I will probably run T63 fronts paired to 700 rears for most of my riding. The rear traction of the 700 seems adequate for pavement and gravel. The front knobby tends to give a little more confidence on the gravel but yet works well on paved surfaces.

Then if I really plan to ride a lot of off pavement I may throw a T63 rear on for that trip.
  20. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    The MT21s work great, but don't last long, about 1500-1800 miles for me compared to 3000-4500 for the D606.