Winston-Salem NC

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by d.burbach, Nov 20, 2012.

1. d.burbach

d.burbach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any Winston riders around these parts? Ok, Greensboro and High Point can come too
  2. FishHunt

FishHunt slow poking...

Oddometer:
    I'm not in the Winston area but I live just south of Greensboro. I ride through or around the Winston area a little, mostly north of the city.

I see your sig line says you work for RoadRUNNER magazine. It seems like a nice thing to work doing something that is also a hobby and passion. I'm not a subscriber but I do purchase the magazine from time to time. There is always something interesting inside the pages.

<>< Fish
  3. d.burbach

Oddometer:
    Well glad there's at least someone fairly local! Yes it is quite a blessing to get to work for RoadRUNNER and turn my everyday love of motorcycles into a career! Thanks for picking up an issue or two!
  4. DEPARKER1817

DEPARKER1817 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Live and work in Clemmons, NC. Ride most every week year around. Mostly within 300 mile semi circle north and west of Clemmons.But I have ridden to and from 48 of the fifty states.
    If I was a more gooder writer I would like to write for a fine motorcycle magazine like Road Runner.
    Participating in the tag games is a good way to see this area.:deal
  5. FishHunt

FishHunt slow poking...

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of local riders that have not post here yet. We even get together now and then for a meet, greet, ride and eat. Come out to the next one and introduce yourself.

<>< Fish
  6. KingJarhead

KingJarhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Live in the King/Pinnacle area.
    Work in Winston. Ride mostly year around.
    As Mr. Parker stated the tag game is a great way to see the area and meet local inmates. We have a few "meet.greet and rides" a year.
    If you post up a time place for all to meet and eat.....we will be there.
    Doug
  7. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Howdy,

Welcome to our town. I had heard your magazine office was here in town, I do business with the sign company that made a banner for you. I ride year round but have very limited time to ride since it competes with all my other interests.

I professionally restore Transalps from the frame up as well as work on other dual sport bikes so I stay pretty busy. The last place to find me is on the interstate roads, I aim for the back country or where ever the pavement ends.

As you have found out by now we live in a chrome and crotch rocket kinda place but with the back roads and mountains less than a hour away it's perfect for me.

Here's one of my favorite destinations, somewhere near the New River and VA. state line.

[​IMG]
  8. d.burbach

Oddometer:
    Beautiful! We are blessed to have some great roads not too far away. I do wish, though, that there were some good roads a littler closer so I could go have a nice ride if I've only got an hour or so to kill. Any insight?
  9. FishHunt

FishHunt slow poking...

Oddometer:
    Head towards Danbury, NC and ride. There are a lot of good paved roads and some gravel to ride in that area. Another option is to make a loop out of back roads to the west of you. Look on google maps at the back roads below the Wilkesboros south towards I-40.

<>< Fish
  10. KingJarhead

KingJarhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I am looking for a "quick fix" of twisties on the way to/from work.....67N to Donnaha rd, Left onto Spainhour/Perch rd, Left on Old rt52 quick Rt onto High Bridge, Rt onto Brimms Grove, Rt on Oscar Frye, Lt onto Flat Rock Rd, Lt on Rock House Rd, Left on Taylor, Rt on Rt66 back towards Winston. You can add some really cool roads from Rt66
  11. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    YES! I have a 1 hour loop that I have done several times, The best direction to head is northwest, aim for Lewisville, East Bend, and beyond.

Sorry to point this out but South and South West of Winston towards Welcome, Lexington, and especially Clemmons has way too much traffic, most roads don't go anywhere interesting and no views to speak of.

Good riding towards Danbury just north of Winston but it's a hour just to get there, again a little bit of traffic but ok.

It all depends of the type roads you like and what you like to do when you are on them. For me if it is a short ride then the fewer cars and more farms with nice views the better it is.

70 minutes away and can be on the BR Parkway.

[​IMG]
  12. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    I'm in Horneytown. Yes, there really is a place called Horneytown. :lol3

I have a shop with tools, tire machines and too many half assembled bikes laying around the place, from old Jap 2 strokes to the latest rode hard and put up wet HP2.:freaky
  13. NCStephen

NCStephen Riding NC

Oddometer:
    When the chance happens, I will take a day ride up to NW NC. Thats where my family roots are and even with that I am always exploring new and little traveled roads.. Always glad to have someone join in. Let me know if you might be interested.
    Welcome to the area as well

NCS
  14. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Recently discovered some great riding outside of Mt. Airy in the valleys below the mountains. Cana, Ararat, Claudville VA and Kibler Valley region are close to WS. Pipers Gap Rd/Lamsburg Mtn Road up to the BRP is a great ride. Good riding off either side also. About 45 minutes from Winston.

Just bought a place in Fancy Gap and been exploring. Amazing area. Google Jeb Stuart birthplace park and check out the roads in that area.
  15. MinglewoodNC

MinglewoodNC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm just west of Mt Airy about 10 miles and spend a lot of time up around Galax and Fries Va. There is a lot of great riding up in this area, from heeled over street riding to full knobbies only trails. All we need is a warm day. If it's 50 in Winston it's 40 up the mountain in Va. So this time of year forward I'll spend more time riding to the east and west of Mt Airy and stay a bit warmer.
    Get yourself a Delorme North Carolina Atlas and Gazeteer and do some exploring. It shows terrain and all of the backroads you can dream of. The routes that others have posted here already are a great starting point.
    Safe & fun travels to ya',
    Bill
  16. Hoodis

Hoodis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Lewisville a couple of hours will take you up and around Hanging Rock mountain, using a lot of the roads King Jarhead mentioned above - about 100 miles. Add another hour and you can hit Vashti and Brushy Mountain to the west or Pine Swamp Road above Roaring Gap to the north. Four hours could include breakfast at Tuggles Gap. Then there is always Troutdale and VA 601...but that takes half a day at least. Essentially no traffic and plenty of nice views on any of these routes.

I love western Forsyth County.
  17. d.burbach

Oddometer:
    Wow, now I wish I'd asked this about three months ago! Thanks everyone, I'll definitely be exploring these routes in earnest once Spring roles round, though I will hopefully get some more riding in much before that too. Glad to know there are some locals!
  18. KingJarhead

KingJarhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best way to really find the fun roads and get some real exploring in is to get in on the NCNCTAR game.
    There are so many fun roads around here. Hwy 89 from Mt Airy to Danbury is so fun.
    Hwy 40 from Woolwine to Rocky Mount Virginia is a blast. All roads leading to Indisn Valley, Va are fun.
  19. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    +1 This area is by far the best riding close.
  20. callison

callison Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

I thought I would introduce myself, been living in Winston since I got out of the Marine Corps back in 97. Just took ownership of a fancy new CRF250L and have begun exploring the area. Hope to head out as much as the weather and my better half will allow. Haven't ridden much since my Marine Corps days, hard to believe it's been 15 years.

Didn't realize how much I missed it until I was back in the saddle, happy to be back at it.

Cory