Quit our jobs, sold our home, gone riding...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lightcycle, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Motoguy

Motoguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Thanks for sharing.
  2. ClifNotes

ClifNotes Facebook Me!

Oddometer:
    are you wearing the schuberth white helmet?

i have it too! we look alike with our helmets on

wish i could win the lotto and come with u!
  3. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Yep, love it. I had to do a chin-curtain-ectomy though, not enough airflow. It made the helmet a bit more noisier, but now I'm not passing out due to carbon-dioxide poisoning...
    y2blade likes this.
  4. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/4.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Neda's take on a PB&J sandwich in Forrilon National Park, in Gaspe

[​IMG]
    Found a great campsite in St-Louis-de-Kent, NB!

These two pictures above typify our experience so far - camping and eating groceries. We're trying to stretch our travel dollar, since technically we're both unemployed and homeless! :)

We dawdled quite a bit on the Gaspe peninsula, so trying to budget time as well, we decided to boot it across New Brunswick and Nova Scotia - all the while feeling continually rushed to see as much of the Maritimes as possible before we had to make it back to Toronto by the end of the month to close our condo and sell the remaining vehicles before our next leg. Having to shop for groceries everyday and find a campsite before nightfall didn't help matters any!

So.. not a lot of pictures from this segment...

[​IMG]
    Our first taste of seafood in the Maritimes!

As we passed Antigonish, NS, we saw a sign for McLobster. It was more like McRobster - didn't taste very good and robbed us of $6.89! We met Sean at the McDonald's, who happened to be the city planner for Antigonish, and he urged us to ride around town, so we did. Nice town, shame about their McDonald's...

We did keep in contact with Sean a few times over e-mail as he had invited us to his cottage in Halifax, but the timing was off and we never did meet up.

[​IMG]
    Neda catches up on some light reading while waiting for the ferry

The ferry to Newfoundland departs from North Sydney, which is on the eastern coast of Nova Scotia. We arrived early and took our place in line with a lot of other Newfoundlanders waiting to go home. I had a long discussion with Robert, a francophone from St-Pierre-et-Miqeulon, a little island off the south coast of Newfoundland that is actually a part of France! He had a Goldwing and we were both talking in broken Franglais about motorcycles and riding. How I wished I learned more French in high school, he was a really great guy!

[​IMG]
    Waiting to board the ferry for Newfoundland

[​IMG]
    Our bikes get to travel across the Gulf of St Lawrence in the underbelly of the ferry, comforted by the weight of dozens of 18-wheelers above our heads.

While we were waiting in line, some locals told us that the winds on the coast of Newfoundland got so high, they blew 18-wheelers off the road. We tied our bikes down real good after hearing that, but it was pretty smooth sailing all the way to The Rock.

[​IMG]
    In the hold of the ferry

It's a 6.5 hour overnight trip from North Sydney, Nova Scotia to the west coast of Newfoundland at Port-Aux-Basques. There were a lot of people on the ferry on their way to St John's on the east coast, but because it's so costly to ferry all the way there, most people choose just to drive across the island instead.

[​IMG]
    Trying to get comfortable on the ferry

Being unemployed and homeless, we opted for the cheap seats on the ferry instead of a cabin. We weren't allowed to lie down on the floor or across several seats and if the crew found you, they would kick at you until you woke up... :(
    scudo, wilfred, Foiler and 1 other person like this.
  5. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/5.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pulling into Port-Aux-Basques

The ferry pulled into Port-Aux-Basques, on the west coast of Newfoundland at 6 in the morning. We stopped into the visitor centre outside of town and waited a little while so we wouldn't have to share road with the hundred other vehicles also exiting the ferry. Also had to change the time on the clocks on the bike. Did you know NL has its own time zone and just to be different, it's a half hour ahead of Atlantic Time! Despite our little stopover and losing 30 minutes, the seaside community was still fast asleep as we left in the rain and fog, to ride north up the main highway.

[​IMG]
    Riding the west coast of Newfoundland

They call these the Table Top Mountains, a leveling off of the terrain that gives rise to a natural wind-tunnel effect, the same winds that blow 18-wheelers and trains off their tracks.

[​IMG]
    Bearded dragon stops to say hi to us in Corner Brook

Corner Brook is the first large town about 2.5 hours north of Port-Aux-Basque, and are they ever friendly! Seems like our stop for lunch brought half the population of the town out. As we hung out in the Timmies parking lot eating our sandwiches, we had a parade of people asking where we were from and giving us advice on where to go on the island and everyone warned us to be careful of the killer moose on the roads - they like to jump out in front of vehicles. Normally our conversations went like this, "How's it going der, eh? Watch out for dem der moose!". Lots of stories of moose strikes on The Rock, especially during the early morning and evening hours.

[​IMG]
    Gros Morne Park - wiped from the ferry ride

We got to Gros Morne Park in the early afternoon and set up camp. Because I opted to take pictures on the ferry ride instead of sleep, I passed out immediately while Neda took the opportunity to hike around see the park. Later on, we met up with Ben at the visitor centre, who happened to be a fellow ADV rider on an XT600 from New York who told us that a GS rider had died on the Trans-Labrador trail that he rode on the week before. Sad news.

[​IMG]
    Neda's hike through Gros Morne Park

[​IMG]
    Gros Morne Park

The next morning, we made a decision to hot-foot it across the island. We're remorseful because we would have liked to spend more time here but we had to meet friends in Halifax in a few days time, and it turns out the ferry from NL's east coast only runs three times a week! Neda really likes it here and it is high on her list of places to move to whenever we decide to settle down again. We both really wanted to ride to St Anthony's to see the icebergs glide down between Labrador and Newfoundland, but Ben assured us that there weren't a lot of them. Next time!

The scenery off the main highway was pretty uniform as it cut its way through the boreal forest of the island. I had the depressing feeling that we were missing so much of Newfoundland and I vowed that after we wrapped things up at home, I mean Toronto... :), we would go about the rest of our journey very differently. After trekking 700 kms eastwards and a whole day later, we pulled into St John's, the capital city of NL.

[​IMG]
    Neda hams it up at Cape Speer. Took forever to dry her off...

[​IMG]
    Looking pensive at Cape Speer

The fog was pretty thick in the early evening as we rode the steep and windy road out to Cape Speer, the eastern-most point in Canada. It's just outside St John's, and Neda remarks how understated our tourist attractions are compared to the US. No wall-to-wall T-shirt/hot-dog stand/souvenir stalls here, just the beauty of the eastern Newfoundland coast. We stared out at the Atlantic ocean together and wondered what we'd see and where we'd end up next.

[​IMG]
    This is where our journey really starts...

[​IMG]
    Following the yellow brick road to the lighthouse at Cape Speer

Starving, we rode back down to St John's for dinner. We were parked somewhere in downtown St John's looking for a place to eat, with no success when we walked back to our bikes and there was a guy on a huge red Kawi waiting for us! Roy is a paramedic in St John's, and he was just riding around when he saw two unfamiliar bikes (everyone knows everyone in St John's) and he wanted to give us a tour of his city. So we hopped on and followed him around town as he showed us the sights. He was a great ambassador for the town and we felt like we had the red carpet treatment!

[​IMG]
    Roy, our tour guide around St John's

Our final stop on Roy's tour was the restaurant we were looking for, the Bacalao, billed as "nouveau Newfoundland cuisine". After a long day of touring, the food was excellent: Labrador caribou and traditional salted cod. Amazing food, all washed down by some dark ale from a local brewery called Quidi Vidi.
    Manny U, Fuel4brain, scudo and 9 others like this.
  6. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    :clap
  7. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    THANKS for taking me along on your adventure....
  8. Burtwer

Burtwer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Completely in. Can't wait for more.:lurk
  9. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time for the rest of us. I seldom read anything about the area that you're riding through so it's very interesting to me. Good luck and stay safe.

Gary "Oldone"
  10. h2o_snow

h2o_snow Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer:
    This is the very reason my wife won't make the 'Big Leap' (which it IS), of selling everything and touring the world.

Always looking for another person's view and ideas of how to set yourself up to 'comfortably' make the jump. :deal

+1. The wife is pretty well seated although we do travel quite a bit.

Subscribed - be interesting to see where you end up.

Furthest east I have been in Canada is Toronto so this is a great start. Nice country.
  11. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Subscribed....way to go guys...

Even the best Helmet (Schubert) in the world will NOT utilize it's maximum designed airflow/exhaust, etc IF it is sort of blocked by a windshield. They were designed from the ground up.....sans windshield!

When it rains...because of the windshield, your visor will be speckled with rains drops that can be naturally cleared by moving your head into the windstream..pivot either right or left of the windshield.

To give the Helmet it's best due..cut/lower/pivot the windshield so as to catch more of the breeze...and suck out your possible toxic CO2 that gets trapped within your closed Helmet..always give your visor a slight opening..!

Cheers..
  12. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :freaky Congratulations on deciding to live your life differently, love what I've seen so far. Enjoy the open road and be safe.
  13. bigtop

bigtop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed...........but apprehensively, I feel as thought I will soon be unhappy at work, ready to part with my material possessions, and have a even more severe case of wanderlust:-)

Be safe, and good luck to you!
  14. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Best wishes from South Texas! :clap
  15. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please don't think all US tourist attractions are over commercialized tourist traps. To compare apples to apples sort to speak,,,,, compare The Most Eastern Point in Canada" to The Most Eastern Point in the US" which would be West Quody or Lubec. Yea, there are some signs much like the above stating so but it's nothing like Key West. Same with the most western spot in the contiguous US, Ozette Washington. Yes, we have our tourist traps,,,, that's for sure but there are plenty of places to see almost anywhere you are in the US that isn't plastered wall to wall with people trying to sell you gee-gaws you don't really want.

The wife and I hit up Newfoundland, Labrador and Quebec a couple summers ago and it was beautiful. We both thought that the southeastern end {Avalon and the Irish Loop} was as nice a ride as any and it was an afterthought that we almost missed as a way to waste some time getting over to Argentia to catch the ferry. Gros Morne {pretty exciting getting fussed at by a moose believe it or not!} was wonderful as was Terra Nova and L'Anse aux Meadows. Absolutely stunning scenery out there. We spent about a month up there on bikes riding, camping and experiencing life. It was a couple months that we will never forget and hope to relive soon.

Anywho,,,, have an absolutely wonderful and safe trip. I can't wait till the wife and I can do much the same. Green with envy here and for sure,,,, subscribed.
  16. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I feel that way before the end of the first page and was thinking of how far I could get if I sold everything. Pennsylvania is pretty hot this time of year isn't it? :D
  17. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I think its a GREAT Idea! Just chuck the whole domestic tranquility mess and go see the world,if not now? When?

Being tied to many anchors for a lifetime is called "stability" Never stray out of the tracks,keep your head down and keep pulling. Once your 65 or so THEN you can relax and have a good time? I think its better to just go,never know what you might find out there.
    wilfred likes this.
  18. Dachary

Dachary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I love it when people get over the excuses and just *do* it. You guys are living the dream, now! We're setting ourselves up to hopefully do the same next year - maybe we'll meet on the road, and I'll be following along until then!
  19. masukomi

masukomi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First off, totally envious. Can't wait until we can quit (again) and do the same. Excellent photos, can't wait to see more.

However, I admit to being a bit concerned by this and the comment earlier about having to push hard on the bars to not turn wide:

[​IMG]
    Neda catches up on some light reading while waiting for the ferry

I recognize that you're coming at this from a perspective of it being all your worldly possessions, but you've really got way more stuff than you need. I know it's hard to part with, but maybe start doing a monthly purge? If you haven't used it in a month, and it isn't first-aid, or a spare part, chuck it, or mail it off to someone for storage.

With that said, if you pass through/near Boston and need anything, just holler. Not that I'm recommending you do... the riding sucks around here. ;)
  20. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

Looks like the thread was "cleaned up" since those posts are gone. guess you won't get your answer.

Enjoying the pics.