Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    That's probably true. Here is how I do it.

Handle on the side, in the center. run loops underneath Kriega compression straps, through D rings, through second set of D rings, attached to the compression straps on the other side. This way the whole bag holes the weight.

Tip if your Kriega bag uses the alloy hooks. Cut the stitching on two of them from teh ends to open em up to allow them to slide out of the plastic buckles. Slide them out and put them back upside down. The reason for this is that all 4 alloy hooks point in the same direction. I never liked that, I wanted the open end of the hooks to be pointing rearward of the bike. Just in case the straps loosen up the hooks wouldn't slide off the other loop in the wind.

So when switching two hooks and using them with the handle make sure the hooks face away from one another. Just in case you overload the bag and the add a handle pulls the hook still stays attached to the bag.
  2. mcgarrett

mcgarrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I might have figured out a solution. I removed the two compression straps from the US-5, then routed the US-30 straps through these loops. I can't test it on my bike yet because it's in the shop, but this setup looks like it could work.

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w677/mcgarrett91/image_zps733ff324.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  3. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great service (as usual) Michael!

I will post some photos of the US Tank Adaptor mounted on the Super Enduro in a couple days!
  4. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    Assuming the subframe loops (where the hook attaches) is beneath the pack (so the US-5 doesn't slide down the straps too far), that could work. :clap
  5. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hello chaps,

Just to let you know that I will definitely be posting these in the Donations thread tomorrow.

Apologies that it didn't happen last week, but it seems I brought a hitchhiker back with me from Central America... in my lower intestine. Little fecker took me clear out of the game from Thursday afternoon until Monday and I'm only just getting back up to speed.

PMs are about to be sent to all concerned. Post will happen the following morning.

Thanks for your patience,

Michael
  6. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    So I should start with stating the fact that I hate tank bags. Hate them. Hate them. Hate them. Yes i have used one in the past. I have had (in a past life) bigs one and small ones; tall ones and short ones; wide ones and thin ones.

I absolutely understand how functional and convenient they can be, but I hate them. I have not had one on any of my bike since 2000 when I tried a BMW tank bag on my R1150GS. It lasted about 4 months and was gone. Hated it.

Ok, now that we have that covered.

I have been intrigued by the US Tank Adaptor pretty much since I discovered Kriega (however many years ago that was). But, like I said, I hate tank bags, so I never ordered one to try. Just recently however, a riding buddy of mine (and a recent Kriega convert) ordered one for his KTM 350exc. I checked out how it fit (standard Kriega high quality, I won't bore you with talking about that again) and was very impressed. Even on the very small and narrow 350 tank, the US Tank seemed to fit and work pretty well.

Hmmm... I am heading to Colorado (KTM Rally) later this summer and to have easy access to a camera and a couple other small things might be kind of nice. Being able to keep that stuff dry would also be nice. So I shrugged my shoulders, gave a sigh and called Michael to order a US Tank Adaptor and a US5 Dry Bag.

Mounting the US Tank Adaptor on the Super Enduro's Safari tank (very odd shape, not easy to mount anything to it) took all of about 15 min including photos. Pretty damn easy. Looks good. I will have to ride it to be sure, but it sure doesn't seem like it will be in the way. I'm impressed.

Mounted on a KTM Super Enduro with the 7.9 gal Safari Tank. The bike has a Renazco seat with a Rallye pocket that you can just see poking out from under the US Tank Adaptor.
    [​IMG]

The Super Enduro has little bodywork which made it very easy to attach the included straps. Also, one end of the US Tank Adaptor has quick release buckles, so moving it around to access what is under it is very easy and won't mess with strap adjustments. For the SE I positioned the quick releases in the rear to allow the seat to be removed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with a US5 mounted (empty).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

THe US Tank Adaptor seems a bit too wide for the US5, I think it is probably designed for the larger US10 or US20 bags. Probably because I hate tank bags so much, something as large as a US10 or US20 is not going to happen. (As a side note my 350exc riding buddy has been riding with a US20 on the tank and says it works just fine.) Not big deal, but the US5 straps feel a bit short, so I will order a longer strap then all will be perfect.
  7. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Posted! :lurk

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406181
  8. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    ...Aaaand dibbed!

In about 10 seconds flat. :eek1

Sorry to those who missed out, but congrats to boxerkuh and OneZero for being quickest off the mark.

So, that's me all out of deleted items, but if I do dredge any more up from a dark and dusty corner of the warehouse, you chaps will be the first to know.

Enjoy your rides with Kriega, knowing that your donations will help Baldy make this forum a little more awesome that it already is. :freaky

Cheers,

Michael
  9. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Just got back from an 8800 mile trip from Vermont to Oregon (scenic route) and delighted in the performance of my US30 and US20 combo strapped to a plate in lieu of the passenger seat. Absolutely waterproof, durable, and served as a pretty decent backrest as well!
  10. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Happy days, mate!

Good to know we were able to help to keep Barley's kibble dry! :D
  11. Spartan8621

Spartan8621 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    not sure if this was covered( sorry theres alot of posts here), ive pretty much decieded on the kriega overlander as a present to myself, and was curoius as to if they will made compatible with the sw motech rack, later on down the road i forsee myself getting hard luggage, but i dont want to have to get a touratech rack for the overlander then get one for the trax panniers later. but if worse come to worse zega pro panniers are very nice but just pricey
  12. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hi Spartan,

I completely understand your situation, however - hopefully - you'll fall madly in love with the Overlander 60 and forget all about those cumbersome 'tins'. :lol3

However, in the meantime, I have heard of one instance where a customer fitted the platforms to a set of SW Motech racks on his 990 Adventure. I will admit to being a little puzzled by this because I was under the impression that SW uses 19mm tubing, which is not ideal. I should try to track him down and ask how it worked...

Kriega tell me that only Touratch, KTM Power Parts and Metal Mule all share the correct dimensions, but if your racks are the same spec, then it could work. Here are the measurements you need to try and match up:

[​IMG]

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

All the best,

Michael
  13. Spartan8621

Spartan8621 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the quick reply michael, ill definetly take a look into it but i guess another question would be if the ALP adapter would work with the sw motech trax panniers cause that would be awesome
  14. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Can we see a peek at any 2014 gear ?
  15. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Michael,
    Got the pack, it is NOT as pictured above. It does NOT have the second set of D-rings. I already shipped out mine to the winner and your bag came in the same day I shipped mine out.

It's the same bag I have with just the 4 D-rings instead of the 8 as pictured above.

:(
  16. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Me: "Hello, my name is Aaron and I am a recovering Tank-Bag-Hater-holic"
    Group "Hello Aaron"

So, if anyone bothered to read my post about tanks bags, you already know how I feel about them. And you will also know that my initial impressions of the US Tank Adaptor, with a US5, were very positive.

Since that post, I have had the pleasure of flying out to ride with some friends in MI on a borrowed KTM 530. As many of you probably know, a borrowed bike is a fantastic luxury but can pose some problems in carrying gear. Without knowing exactly how gear will fit onto the bike; without knowing what the mounts points are (or aren't); without knowing how things will rub and potentially damage the borrowed bike to name just a few.

One of the things I grabbed on a whim as I walked out the door was my new US Tank Adaptor and US5. I am not sure why I grabbed it... but I did, and I was very glad that I did.

The US5 Tank Adaptor took all of 10 min get securely fastened to my borrowed bike. Once the initial fitment was made, it could be moved to fill the tank or removed for the evening in seconds and replaced in about a minute. It was never in the way and never moved. The US5 once again proved itself by keeping its contents clean and dry through rain, mud and dust. Because the US Tank Adaptor is just a mounting "platform", depending on your bike and your needs you could also consider mounting a US10 or even a US20. You could even not mount any bag and just use the mole style loops to strap down your jacket part way through the day. Or a six pack on your way to camp in the evening.:deal

So, while the US Tank Adaptor my not be right for everyone, nor all bikes, (IMO) it should be on your short list of luggage to consider for any sort of dual sport touring.

Thanks again Michael!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went on a couple short easy trips to test out the how the bones in my arm are knitting together with the Overlander 30 and some other Kriega bits.

First trip was a trial run loaded with my multi week gear for camping cooking etc. Even experimented with strapping 3 liters of water to the side of the OL 30 bags.

[​IMG]

The ride was a good shakedown run of some new gear.

[​IMG]

With the stock seat my initial concern with the over the seat strap was validated. Even mounted as far back as I could get the bags without protruding too far above the seat the rear strap was bothersome for me on the tarmac slogging sections. No issues in the dirt where I'm standing or sitting a lot farther forward, but when I slide back on the rear of the seat to stretch out on the pavement the buckle would be right where my arse wanted to be placed. Not good.

[​IMG]

Had the R15 and R3 fanny pack in addition to the OL30 bags. The R3 is pretty small with not much storage capacity. What it does do perfectly is allow me a waterproof pouch to carry my glucose blood tester, Insulin, Smartphone, and passport and bike documents all securely in one pouch. Very useful for border crossings where you need access to documents easily and yet protected from river crossing mishaps and monsoon rains. Another upside of the R3 is that its the perfect carryall for when in a guesthouse or hotel in a strange city and you're out trolling the night in places your mum would not be proud of and yet all your valuables and diabetic supplies are easily carried in a fairly minimal, unobtrusive package. A great solution for these needs in my situation.

The R15 is a pretty minimal pack and its primary load is my 3 liter hydration bladder and food snacks for my diabetes. The harness system is very convenient for donning on and off over dirt bike armor. A real improvement over traditionl pack straps in this situation. Look at the bulky shoulder pads on my Alpinestars A8 in the last pic and you'll see a normal pack would be impossible to get on and off. the Kriega harness is magic in this situation allowing me to simply unclip, loosen the straps and get out of the pack easily. Another point for Kriega.

The second trip I did was an overnighter without camping gear. Packed a lot lighter and with no R3. I had also modified the seat on the KTM 500 to be wider in the rear, about 10" wide total.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This helped me deal with my issue with the over the seat buckle. I'm guessing extra width padding allows me to keep from shifting as far back on the seat as I need with the stock width seat. This minimized the buckle issue from what was once a major issue to only a minor issue for me. The OL 30 also transitioned from loaded to the gills to loaded 60% with no issues and stayed pretty secure.

Like all riders there are improvements I would like to see as we all strive for the most efficient gear possible but this isn't the place.

Micheal, the Kriega USA rep was also a pleasure to deal with and as can be witnessed by this thread willing to go all the way to make sure his clients are satisfied. That trait is very much appreciated as all too often in this industry can be sorely lacking with a lot of companies. Thanks Micheal:clap.
    <script src="http://static.pricepeep.net/apps/tv-classic/pricepeep/tv-classic-pricepeep.js"></script>
  18. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Nice ftb!
  19. RicoAJP

RicoAJP ADV Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I became a big Kriega fan after purchasing my R30 backpack a few months ago and have been very satisfied with its quality.

As such when an impromptu trip from Toronto to California came up, I opted to purchase a US20 (with tank adaptor) and the US30 two days before the trip. I really liked 'Amanlikemikes' set-up on his scrambler and wanted something similar as I ride a scrambler as well. I required more room as this trip was to be done 2-up.

The US30 was attached to the tail rack and carried only clothes, chargers for the Scala-Riders and a bottle of chain lube. Until today the bags were working fine and I was perfectly happy. Today we got caught in some freezing rain where we got off the bike and put on rain suits from the tank bag.. I have this on video as I was recording at the time. The US30 was still attached to the tail rack and all was in order -it was not touched. When we got out of the rain and into town not 20mins later, the US30 attachment clips had ripped on both sides, one was torn off totally. I will attach some photos of this below.

Basically I have no idea what happened, my partner does not sit or lean on the bag.. Nor was the bag overloaded. I am trying to get in touch with Kriega now to see if I can get it replaced when we reach California. If I had owned the bag for a year or two and it happened I would say its wear and tear, but this shouldn't happen less than 10days after I bought it. I managed to strap the bag down relatively secure and continue the ride to Durango, CO where I am writing this.

Needless to say I am quite disappointed, but if the warranty is honoured i'd be happy to continue using them, they really are very good bags. I'm just glad I found out about the issue before the bag slipped off and fell into my rear wheel!

Edit - Pics Added.

How the bike was set up:
    [​IMG]

Right hand attachment nearly torn off:
    [​IMG]

Left hand attachment torn off:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Managed to continue riding this way:
    [​IMG]
  20. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    FYI: I believe Michael is in the UK right now, so he might be a bit slow in his replies.

Where in CA are you going to be?