Things Dealers tell Customers

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ak_diane, Aug 16, 2012.

1. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, I need a pirate costume for Halloween...
  2. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I went to a HD dealer to test ride a Buell, and rode there on my KTM 950 SM. I had three guys that worked there outside looking at my bike, and they were very complimentary about it. I guess it depends on the dealership and the people there.
  3. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  4. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod All the Non-Harley brands that ride into The Harley dealerships around here (many of them sheepinshly parking around the corner) when they walk in after being greated they get asked:

"What did you ride in on?"
    No matter what their reply is it is usually followed by "Cool!... Where did you park? Let's go check it out"

Last week I had a beautful 2011 Concours prominently displayed in our showroom. Some ignorant fool loudly asked: "WHY DO YOU HAVE THAT JAP CRAP IN A HARLEY STORE?"

He did not care for the reply he got or the laughter from the other patrons and his own friends when I asked him (just as loudly) "DO YOU OFTEN GO OUT IN PUBLIC AND SPOUT OFF NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT SOMETHING YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT?" :lol3 Followed by "Would you like to ride it?"

His friend piped in: "He couldn't handle a bike like that!" :rofl
  5. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats a way to get sales going, get to know the guys interests, riding styles and maybe use that to kinda match up a comparable bike. That person may only spend 10 bucks there but may know someone itching to pull the trigger on a bike and can sell to them.
    I'll sit there kinda bs with a guy about different stuff before i make to move to deal on buying whatever, doesn't pay to walk up be a complete dick to save $100. bucks.
  6. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    It's just a sales gimmick they are taught to make all riders feel welcome at a Harley store, while using first-date tactics to feign interest in whatever the potential customer happens to own.

Meh.
  7. abnslr

abnslr rides a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    That's ok -- I'll take that over outright hostility any day.
  8. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    If im going in to buy something my minds made up on what i'm getting and how much i'm willing to pay, i just want to deal with a guy like i used that i walk in there now and bs about everything but actual bikes. I've walked out of a dealer that i had the cash in pocket to buy because the guy blew me off.
  9. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

Take control of the conversation.

Tell the man what you want and what you'll do.
  10. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    NO it is NOT a "gimmick" or a trick... Nor is it "taught" (at least not with me)

I am a rider of motorcycles. I am a seller of new bikes in only two brands BUT I like them ALL. Some more than others to be sure but my interest is genuine... As is the others I work with.

The majority of my income is from the sale of feet forward bikes but I personally do not even own feet forward bikes any longer and only ride them for work.

I have a large and diverse customer base and I can generally find a new home for just about any bike, be it an Ninja 250 or a ZX14... A GSXR 600 to a Gold Wing.

Today I am taking in a Ducati Hypermotard 1100s against a Harley-Davidson because the Wife wants a better Queens Throne. It's all good.

RIDE RIDE RIDE :ricky
  11. Chip Seal

Chip Seal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Years ago I was hanging out with a couple of other riders at local Beemer shop. The one that went out of business in 2003, lol.

A potential customer walked in. Owner went up to him and asked if he could help. Well dressed potential customer asks, what's the difference between the 3 cylinder engine and the 4 cylinder engine? Owner looks at him at him and responds, "The 3 cylinder model is one cylinder short of real power". Guy looks at him, turns around and walks out.
    He ended up going to Honda shop and bought a 750 VFR same day for cash.
  12. Ghostyman

Ghostyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mental note: open up rinky-dinky motorcycle lot across the street from local BMW or HD dealership. Wait for influx of customer who want to pay cash on the spot. Allow customers to do a burnout in the parking lot to show those jerks at the stealership who's boss.

Some people want to buy a Harley until they don't like what the salesman looks like. Then they buy a BMW out of spite. The BMW guys end up at the Honda dealerships. I guess the Honda guys end up forced onto Harleys when their dealer is rude?

:norton
  13. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

:lol3

I read it on the Internet, so it must be true.

:thumb
  14. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you work at a Harley dealer that also sell Triumphs? I though Harley did not allow that?
    Just curious.
  15. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    There's one in Montana that also sells Ducati. At least they did when I was there five years ago.
  16. Bazgab

Bazgab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ray Price Harley in Raleigh, NC sells Triumphs, so I am sure there are a bunch of them that do.
  17. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats what i did when i decided on my bike, told him i think this is a fair offer, laid my checkbook on the table and 20 minutes later it was all mine.:clap
  18. Rucksta

Rucksta SS Blowhard

Oddometer:
    I hate it when they take my first offer, it makes me think I'm paying too much.
  19. ShardPhoenix

ShardPhoenix Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer:
    I'll see your tedious trolling and raise you with some more tedious trolling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yfg5Kz57Ew (linked because of possible NSFW in BMW "life style" commercial)

Nope, not selling a "life style" or image in this one, either

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t1vLW53yFWk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

These guys would NEVER attempt to play into the game of image psychology in advertisement.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sW1eujdRXjY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Damnit, not ANOTHER ONE

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W5CND6i7E7c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why would you buy your second choice bike because a salesperson missed a trick question?

It just sounds like some wanker on a superiority trip.