Facet #40171 Users Check In

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DockingPilot, Feb 28, 2008.

1. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Has anyone fitted a new facet recently? if so can you tell me if it makes a clicking sound as it primes when you turn the key. I fit a new one today and I can't hear it make the sound. I've got a couple of things to check, but it'll have to wait until I've done my nightshift tonight :huh

Cheers

DG
  2. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...yes it does indeed. Very distinct but not loud.

Anyone have clearance problems withe the skidplate, stock or otherwise?
    Mine was right up against the Black Dog.
    Found a solution though...:norton
  3. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    DeeGee
    Yes it does make a sound for about a few seconds after you turn the ignition key on then shuts off until you hit the starter. Make sure you have the wires connected correctly. Just switch the wires and see what happens. Test the pump but connecting it directly to the battery.

Rabit Dog
    I have RuggedRoad's skit plate ("blashplate") I had to lay the pump on its side to clear the plate. Then I just used couple of zip ties to keep it in place.
  4. Boj

Boj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two things occurred to me while doing my Facet install

1. Why can't we just mount the Facet right to the skid plate? It is nice and flat, rubber mounted, and I can countersink the bolts so the bottom remains flat. With a little extra slack in the fuel lines, the skidplate will still hinge down for access to the battery. When changing oil, it won't be a big deal to remove 2 more hoses.

2. Rather than have a 180 degree turn in the inlet fuel hose, why not T off the crossover hose between the tanks? then it is just a 90 into the fuel filter.
  5. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you T off of the crossover, then your fuel shutoff valve is useless. The tanks would always be feeding the pump. The only way that you could cut off fuel would be to cut off both crossovers at the little taps on the front of the tanks. Would that be so bad??? Dunno, but your shutoff would essentially not do anything anymore. I would also guess that the shutoff is just a tad lower than the crossover taps, but I could be wrong on that point.

Best of luck.
  6. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I noticed something funny today. My bike has been just perfectly dialed in lately. However, it started idling yesterday and today as if it was running slightly lean because it was idling up at a light. It was a little worse this afternoon, and then gas light came on. I filled it, and the condition went away. Hmmmmm. Seems like my bike needs just a little extra fuel pressure on the Facet to make everything work just right. No problem, but interesting.
  7. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Could it be you need to replace the filter?
  8. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I don't know. I just put the Facet on this year.

This morning, my bike is trying to inch towards lean (idle up at a light) even with the tanks full. Therefore, I think my mix is a little off because of the weather change, or I could need a new filter. The condition was worse when the tanks were empty. I'll let you know. Regardless, I now don't think that the head pressure on the Facet had that much of an impact.
  9. Terlingua

Terlingua Terlingua

Oddometer:
    I can get a Mr,Gasket 42s at O'Reilly it has the same psi as the Facet but I don't know if it has the check valve in it are not. Dose any one know are have try this pump and had luck with it? It a nice looking sealed pump I like the looks of it better thin the Facet. Your help please.
  10. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    I've been running the Mr Gasket 42 in my Honda ST1100 to help the feeble internal tank pump. Its been in there for ~100,000 miles, but I don't run it all of the time as it plus the OEM in series overpowers the floats valves at lower altitudes. I put a switch on the 42 and just use it at high altitudes where the OEM pump can't keep up. There is no check valve in the 42 as I can easily push fuel through it with the OEM pump.:freaky
  11. Terlingua

Terlingua Terlingua

Oddometer:
    I had just talk to the tec line at Prestolite and was told the some thing. So now I'm trying to figure out if I can find a in line check valve for it. I was just playing with a vacuum fuel pump that was on my lawn mower that look the some as the one I've see used one here. But it not pumping enough.
    So back to the drawing board.
  12. sombreroisland

sombreroisland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi,

i had installed my facet pump yesterday...fittings were easy but i had a few problems which I had to iron out (kinking fuel lines).

prior to installation, during mornings, i'd have a hard time starting the bike. 2-3 pushes to the red button with a bit of choke.

After the facet install, one click without choke works. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fuel pump? If so, why or how? Sorry, just curious about really understanding the bike and how a change in the facet could have made the difference?

Bing
  13. bdefen

bdefen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boise, Idaho - In the heart of Dual-Sport Paradise
    Did the 40171 upgrade two years and 8,500 miles ago. Mounted mine in the stock rubber fuel pump housing, using pipe insulation foam and beefy nylon zip ties, per the instructions in this thread (Shuffler). Have been in boilover conditions on the Alvord Desert 8/10, and other extremes - no problems whatsover. The clearance is tight with my factory lower engine cover (it's not a skid plate), so I cemented a bit of pipe insulation foam onto the engine cover to cushion any contact by the pump. R&R'd the fuel filter last month during my spring oil change and other maintenance. Got the filter at a NAPA Auto Parts store for $6.

Good upgrade for the 950A.:wink:

Byron
  14. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    I don't know if this will help, but the KTM 690 Rally Replica uses this Mikuni Vacuum pump
    MIKUNI DF52-60
    The KTM part number is: 5851208700
  15. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    40171 is having intermittent problems after 32,000 miles of use.

Is clicking away but nothing coming out. Them it works, then it doesn't. Me thinks it needs a new one.

Good job it wasn't in a plane!!!!!

And yes, tis definitely the pump.

Pyn
  16. HighFructose

HighFructose Banned

Oddometer:
    man im having trouble with my 97 vfr750, the brand new oem honda pump i bought wont stop flowing (mistubishi pump). facet 40171 and 40177 pumps coming

glass
  17. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
    I vapor locked today for the first time ever. Went to roll out of work and the bike died on me mid-turn, damn near dropped it, but managed a save.

Popped my fuel caps open and the bike fired up and ran fine.

Struck me as odd because I have done the 'flapendectomy', the canister removal, and have both tanks vented to atmosphere.

It was hot today, upper 90s, and the bike was out in the sun all day. But that's nothing new...not sure why this happened today.
  18. cotrailrdr

cotrailrdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm using the Facet kit from CJDesigns, the lines run from the crossover valves and eliminates the petcock. 3 months with zero issues. (ps. I have never shut off the crossover valves and I have not had any siphon problems)
  19. Mike955i

Mike955i Future Escapee

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to share my recent experience; Facet 40171 failure after 2.5 years and just over 20k miles. Coming back from a week in Yellowstone/Tetons my 05.5 950 ADV cut out and died just outside of Reno. Checked fuses and connections, pump still clicked with keyed power, bike would start and run for 2-3 minutes and then sputter and fail again. After a few very short attempts to keep going I called for a rescue and dragged her home.

My inital thoughts were bad fuel (I had just fueled up), clogged fuel filter or jets because the pump still clicked at inital power and the bike would run for a minute of two, then sputter and die. I drained the fuel and added a fresh gallon, fired the bike, same results. However, when I tried to restart again there was no joy; the engine would just turn and turn and never fire. I also noticed that the fuel pump was no longer "clicking" when I switched power on. I had a spare 40105 built and ready, swapped it out today, runs like a champ again. Replacement 40171 on the way, but I do find it frustrating that replacement lasted no longer than the OEM pump. Just a heads up for us Facet users; YMMV.
  20. StevefrmGV

StevefrmGV MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer:
    OH, OH! Thanks Mike for the heads up. I have over 20K on mine.Im thinking I should buy and carry a spare.