2012 ktm 690 enduro R owners, any major problems ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by edra, May 13, 2012.

1. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah :cry you tend to move forward and when the bike doesn't:rofl

Whitehaven the bike is fantastic - give it time and get used to it and it will be the best bike you have ever owned - I love mine and when i ride my other bikes im thinking of the 690 wishing i was on it :D
  2. whitehaven

whitehaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 04 525 has a sweet gearbox as did my previous 07 990 it was my previous 08 690 that had the false neutral between 5th and 6th only.
    A mate also has a 08 690 and his has the same problem between the same gears 5th and 6th,so if they have not fixed it 4 years later on the new revamped model then they need their backsides kicked.
    Although I agree that it it something you can put up with I want to hear if the radiator problem has been addressed as I plan on travelling into the desert about 4,000 klm away from home and this is a potential problem you can NOT put up with.
    It is a careless and pathetic design problem, so does it still exist?.
    In fact you can not even tell if its happening until its too late unless you pull the radiator off and check for yourself which is a time consuming job you should not have to undergo.
    The dealer put a sponge strip around my cowling rim when they fitted the new radiator but that was only a temporary fix and I lost confidence in the bike as I travel to remote places so I rid of it.
    I am hoping this is fixed as the power ,light weight and handling of these bikes makes them the best for this type of riding.
  3. Beer'o'clock Baz

Oddometer:
    I have looked on numerous occasions {havnt taken radiator of tho } and no problems with the radiator / fan so far I have 12000 k's on the bike
  4. whitehaven

Oddometer:
    I have owned 22 bikes and the best dirt bike I have ever owned is my 04 525[since new] how many bikes can wheelstand in EVERY gear,it is the wildest thing I have ever ridden and has NEVER let me down that is why I will never sell it.
    Nothing in my motorcycling life compares to the adrenaline rush of doing 6th gear 130 kph standup wheelies on this lightweight weapon.
    My 08 690 had more power and it wheelstands in 4 gears but because it DID let me down and had numerous silly problems it comes second.
    But I still rate the 690 as the best adventure bike out there.
    Any way back to the radiator has it been addressed?
  5. Beer'o'clock Baz

Oddometer:
    Everybike i own can wheelstand in every gear - just not with me ridin them :D
  6. whitehaven

Oddometer:
    When I holed my radiator from the electrical connector I could not see it at all or the other problem of the cowling,it was not until the radiator was removed that BOTH problems were visible at the back of it.
    Yamaha Tenere 660,Suzuki DR 650,Kawasaki 650 and Honda 650 do not interest me[boring power to weight ratios].
    I need this fixed as the 690 is the only one that does and I am retiring in Jan and want to do many outback trips.
  7. rununtilempty

rununtilempty 690 rider

Oddometer:
    I have put over ten thousand miles on my 2011 690 (er, 654) since I purchased it new over a year ago. I have noticed and changed a few items:

1. false neutral issues when casual shifting . . . lessens for approximately 1,000 miles post fluid change.
    2. have always run on "rocket-ignition" setting (#2) -- I enjoy the responsiveness, and only changed it back briefly.
    3. replaced end can for FMF 4.1 w/straight pipe + spark screen -- loud but love it/waaay lighter and added kick to motor.
    4. Scotts dampner; the mount raised the bars which allows for a more relaxed cockpit.
    5. Dubya in Orange, CA built rear 17x5" wheel coupled with Hiedenau K60 150 70 17 . . . the best mod so-far, hands down . . . *
    6. tail tidy from hardparts catalog
    7. return air hose connecting the airbox to emissions broke of the airbox and allowed dirt inside the airbox. . . **
    8. head lights are dim (I'm being generous) and I've replaced bulbs twice -- stockers are cheap, like me, but upgraded 55 / 60 watt bulbs are available for around 50 bucks -- my first purchase during the next visit to the shop.
    9. changed the gearing with the new rear 17" . . . 17 tooth front w stock 45 rear. . . works great, off road and on, no need for clutch work at all, even in the tight stuff.***
    10. I havent changed out the stock plastic engine guard; it seems to work adequately but rattles like crazy over rocky terrain.
    11. Sicass brand rear turn signals replaced the giant stockers that I kept knocking apart while lifting my short leg during mount/dismount.

The longest ride I have been on has been approximately 800 miles round trip. I usually see around 50 miles / gal . . . less if keeping up with crotch rockets on the twisties or during higher fwy speeds.

* I looked into purchasing an entire rear wheel but most aftermarket wheels don't have the cush rear hub to smoothe power and save the tranny. I had one built and was going with a 4 1/4, but was talked into a 5" at the last minute; I feared the lower profile would bring more flats, but hasn't occurred . . . I believe the carcasses of the 150 tires are thicker than 140's, also the spread-out tire has lasted from before 6,000 miles til now (almost 11 K) with maybe a couple thousand more on it . . . if I didn't want to roost on my family when we visit the desert after Thanksgiving I would leave it alone, but . . . lol

**this problem was falsely diagnosed as a failing throttle position sensor, which is much more expensive; the hose costed around 40 bucks and took about 5 minutes to swap.

***90 mph is about all that is comfortable for long periods; however, I took it up to 114 with a head wind .. . needs a windscreen or I need new neck muscles . . .

.I will add more as time goes on. This bike has exceeded my expectations in power and it's broad capability both on and off road, and always gets a nod of approval or look of jealousy. :1drink
  8. whitehaven

Oddometer:
    I enquired with the dealer today as to the arrival of 2013 model and if any improvements have been made,he has been told jan or feb but the 13 will have fly by wire throttle!!!
    Count me out, I will source a new 12 model do they really think this complicated crap is an improvement.
    I would rather a 'old fashioned' cable than this gizmo setup especially when out in the desert days and 1000s klm away from home or a dealer,its a dirtbike not an aircraft.
    I have not heard of any rad fan cowling issues on later models on this forum or elsewere so I have decided I will be joining the 690 powerhorse club again.
  9. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

The 690 has had fly-by-wire throttle since the first model...
    your dealer needs to read up on what he's selling....:evil
  10. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    That's only partially true. The throttle butterfly is activated through a normal mechanical cable, there is just an extra controller (EPT) that can override it.
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I've never had a false neutral with my 690 or my 450.
  12. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get them, mostly between 5th and 6th. It's like 6th is in a different place: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,.....6.
  13. SigPig

SigPig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

I've had them between 5th and 6th as well. Has happened while shifting up as well as down. Only once in a blue moon though.
  14. whitehaven

Oddometer:
    The fly by wire throttle is used on the current 2012 Duke 690 together with a twin plug head and gives over 70 HP!!
    It is also used on the new 1190 adventure,it is not used on the 690 E or R but my dealer has been told it will be used on the 2013 R.
  15. Beer'o'clock Baz

Oddometer:
    I think you will find its on my 12 R model
  16. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    No it's not. The 690 models (except the 2012 Duke) until now have a mechanical throttle cable that can be overriden by the EPT computer through a solenoid that controls the throttle butterfly. It sits on the right of the butterfly shaft in this picture:

[​IMG]

The 2012 Duke 690 uses a true fly-by-wire system, or ride-by-wire as KTM calls it, so there is no mechanical connection there any more.

[​IMG]

This is what the throttle grip looks like, it has a spring inside to mimic the feel of a regular throttle pull:

[​IMG]

This system does of course offer some benefits because the computer can decide when it's a good idea to give it some more gas - e.g. when starting the bike etc - but at the same time it complicates things further.

IMO - great on a 690 Duke that I ride around town, not so great on a 690 Enduro (R) that I'm taking out into the boonies.
  17. whitehaven

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback lukasM
    I agree with you that it only adds more complication on a machine which I will be taking off road, that is why I am sourcing a new 2012 model.
    All you need is a bad or even faulty contact [dirt, dust, mud, creek crossings,vibration] where the ride by wire plugs into the EFI and youre in trouble,this is something I cant afford to happen as I am planning to ride around Australia and through deserts next winter using as many dirt roads as possible.
  18. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you really want simplicity and failure proof you could do a carb conversion just like the factory 690 rally bikes. :wink:
  19. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And bar risers get more complicated as well, at least if you need to extend the wires.
  20. Beer'o'clock Baz

Oddometer:
    sorry my mistake I thought it was fly by wire