Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I can't see it from where I will be, I take it with me. Tank bag, jacket, helmet, sacrificial goat, whatever, it all comes with me. I know a guy who rode from Mexico City to Patagonia and back and always left his stuff on his bike and never lost a thing, he still does it. I don't, never have and never will.
    Locks like Trice has work fine.
    Most people are honest, the difficult part is when a poor person is offered the temptation to take something simply so they can feed their family. Take away the temptation and everyone is the better for it. You can take away the temptation by literally taking things with you, locking them down, or hiding them in your panniers.
    Panniers...yes...something I have to think about getting some day.
    Metal or soft textile? Large or small? Too many decisions, I need to have a cup of coffee and look at something shiny and that will take my mind off of such details, details, details.
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh such a lead-in line. If only Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon were still around........
  3. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    One more tip on locks: If you're going to use a keyed lock, take an extra key with you on your trip and keep this key with your spare motorcycle key, electrical-taped to somewhere on your frame. Do not keep spare keys in your pockets or jacket, but that's another thread too. If you use a combination lock, whether its electronic like the one I posted above or your standard gym locker model, send an email to yourself with the combination, and save this email to your saved file. Same way you've sent emails to yourself with copies of your important docs attached.

Anything you travel with that has a key or combination, have a backup system. Motorcycle, pannier boxes, locks, whatever.
  4. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent all! Thank you very much. Have cable lock that I use for jacket both here and in SA... have combo "helmet lock", saw a Mexican BMW rider a few years back with steel mesh locking net over his gear. Anyone have thoughts on that and where I can get? I will most likely be crossing at Columbus/Palomas. It is almost a straight shot south of Mancos, CO where the bike will be stored as of today. That is where I crossed six years ago headed for Copper Canyon. I am on the road now in Williams, AZ... it is icy! My Mexico planning stuff is at home and I will be back on trip planning over the next few days. Thanks again to all, especially Trice for taking the time for detail that applies to the general and specific.
  5. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can take the boy out of Burbank, but you can't take the Burbank out of the boy...

On a more serious note, I think if you google ,"traveler steel mesh security net" you will find what you are looking for.
    Either that or the fourth book in the "50 Shades of Gray" series.
    Maybe a Bass Pro Shop might have it...the net, not the books.
  6. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

There is often a useful alternate application for travel gear.
  7. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank our lucky stars Bob Loblaw didn't post his findings!
  8. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Drum roll people......

I have just been informed that the 50% toll reduction went into force yesterday! :clap

Now the bad news...it's not all the tolls. :huh

Apparently there's a map. As soon as I get it I'll post it here.

The government giveth, and the government taketh away. I hope the exempt tolls are the 25 peso ones...difficult to make change...?
  9. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Here are the TOURATECH ones...typically expensive. It looks like a cross between 50 shades and a squid.

[​IMG]
  10. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    I have one of those, called a Pac-safe. it works very well with a big duffel inside & I carry very little in it! when I get someplace to do some real walking around, like an Museum boots & tank bag & helmet go in duffel, draw string/cable sucks up nice & said draw cable goes through pants & jacket like trice said and back to Bike...

works really well..
  11. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unless it's unusually crowded, you should be able to park right outside the office where you'll be checking into Mexico and paying the deposit on your bike. There were about 10 kids at the office parking lot trying to get me to pay them for help in getting the paperwork, so you could try offering the biggest one 10 pesos to watch the bike if you're feeling sketched. Disclaimer: I came in the time I crossed at Columbus with an FM3, and not a TVIP, so your mileage may vary. Specifically, I'm not sure if they'll process your payment for the TVIP, or if you'll have to go to a banjercito for that. When I crossed, I needed to get a xerox at the pharmacia across the way, which was not within easy sight, so get your documents in order before crossing. As others have said, I've never had a problem at border crossings, but I either take my loose gear with me or lock it up. Have a great trip and ride safe Oyster man.

Edit: BTW, there's a pretty nice big American style hotel as you're entering Gomez Farias if you're coming that way via Buenaventura.
  12. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I crossed to Palomas a couple of weeks ago and my buddy and me got ourselves new eyeglasses had dinner, did a little bar hopping and never once felt threatened. We parked our bikes in front of the places we visited, left my helmet on the sissy bar and nobody bothered our stuff. Folks were pleasant wherever we went, even at the border crossing.
    FYI I can't say enough good things about Martha's Place (in Columbus). Reasonably priced, clean, great breakfast and only a mile or so from the border. Martha and her husband Javier could not have been more accommodating. I highly recommend it.
  13. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    :wave
  14. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
  15. Road Dust

Road Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just crossed the border at Laredo this morning and rode down to Torreon. Tolls were 1/2 price for bikes. Some had the new toll posted, others did not but they charged the new toll.
  16. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
  17. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes . Mex 57 is toll from San Juan del Rio right to the edge of Mexico City
  18. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    can anybody provide any info on this crossing.
  19. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:

At last! :clap:clap:clap
  20. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been running synthetic oil in my engine and final drive for six years now. Does anyone know if it is available in Mex? It is not available in a lt of the SW, particularly the rez.