Elephant Ride 2013

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by SgtMarty, Dec 12, 2012.

1. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    I think that was brought up last year. If I recall the official answer is YES as it is a county road, but it closes due to weather so unofficially its a NO, not like your going to have a cop back there.

Hope to see you all
  2. wbunt

wbunt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks ! Grandson Deciding to bring his KTM 350 (not plated ) or 71 AT125 that is plated .
  3. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    There will be a number of non-plated bikes up there. My 11 yr old son has ridden one the past two years. You should come up too, Bill; it's a fun time.
  4. Tfogger

Tfogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be there as usual, depending on the weather I'll either trailer the WR or ride the XT. If anyone needs ice screws, I have 3000 Pro-Gold 1/2 inchers in stock @ $59/1000. These are short enough that on a knobby or aggressive DS(MT21 or D606) tire you don't have to worry too much about puncturing a tube, but they're long enough to stay in as long as you're not too silly with the throttle on the pavement. Keep in mind they paved pretty much all of the road last year, with the exception of a couple of miles on the Grant side, so conditions may be a lot different than in years past, especially if there's been significant vehicle traffic over the pass from Georgetown. This could be a good thing, as the switchbacks on the north side are wicked fun when there's a couple of inches of ice and you have screws in the tires...:evil

See y'all there!
  5. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:

How many does it take usually for a tire?
  6. Wentjo

Wentjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I counted all the knobs once and decided I needed around 250 per tire.
  7. wbunt

wbunt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be there , I have a room at the Motel too sissy to camp in February . It sounds like a fun time .
  8. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    According to the ice racing guys, 400. But that's probably overkill for the Elephant ride.
    http://instagram.com/p/TP7pMKIItX/
  9. Tfogger

Tfogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I usually end up using about 350 to do a bike, as for this stuff you don't ever really get cranked over onto the side knobs (except for my buddy Brandon that managed to drag hisn knee on a DRZ some years back...)
  10. ere109

ere109 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    50 points to the guy who shows up with a WORKING winch on his bike. Probably more than a few free drinks, too.
    IN! I just came over to find out when this was happening. I'll be there, and will try to bring a noob or two. Since the motel is full, I'm going to pull Geek out of his van and force him to snuggle in my tent for warmth.
  11. MntnMan

MntnMan It's the Journey

Oddometer:
    Well I plan to be there and it looks like badoldad will be there as well. Camping of course!:freaky
  12. mtncrzy

mtncrzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey All, Posted an invite on another site for Rokoners to join in on the madness.
    Looking forward to seeing you all Sat. Night & and Blurry on Sun. :freaky
  13. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    Someone was working on a fire permit, right? I thought I saw it posted somewhere.
  14. mtncrzy

mtncrzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would think Don for the fire permit. But I will check with Steve, to see what he knows.
  15. mtncrzy

mtncrzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don has fire permit in place, excluding fire ban. Things have been dry, but any snow would help. It would take a county wide fire ban to put a holt to things. We should be good.
    Don has shut water off to the pond, for the pit down there. (River not frozen). Figured we would like it there if it was winding. Giving it the option of closer behind the motel if not windy. I feel the pond gives us more room. Less trees to run into. Open for comment.
  16. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Got my electric grips installed on the 500 today for this ride :deal
  17. Tfogger

Tfogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks like I'm out this year, my doc has threatened to confine me to a hospital if I so much as try to throw a leg over a bike before the 25th. My wife has threatened to finish the job that I started when I crashed the FZ1...and she shoots well.
  18. Wannabeeuro

Wannabeeuro Tuner chic

Oddometer:
    Welcome back Jim!
  19. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Is this still on and what are the conditions like....I'm guessing somewhat dry, small amounts of snow but probably melt off by then...I'm guessing the gate will be doable?
  20. Tfogger

Tfogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They're going to see 4-5 inches of new snow tonight...