Real world KTM 350 EXC impressions?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GravityDT, Apr 25, 2012.

1. E-Ticket2

E-Ticket2 E-Ticket

Oddometer:
    Yup!

After completing the first phase of break-in on the Wee Beasty, she was at 4.8 hours and 127 miles.
    So I decided it was time to check the valve clearances, get a baseline measurement, and adjust shims as needed.

And 3 out of the 4 valves were out of spec. :eek1

Here's full blow-by blow on KTMTalk: http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=441764

And if you don't an account on KTM Talk (and you should, it's free), here's the basic account on our local OMRA web site: http://www.omraoffroad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=11399

Cheers! E-Ticket
  2. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Checked mine at 1.6 hours -- all four were exactly in the middle of the spec range.
  3. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Checked mine @ 16.0 hrs, all valves in spec except #2 intake a little tight at .09mm. I did not adjust this yet....
  4. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:

Sorry guys, been doing parent elder care and not getting a lot bike time. :gerg

I mentioned the R word back when my 350 was still unproven. I can say now after a number of long rides and many miles, my 350 reliability has been excellent, no issues. I think KTM knocked this one out of the park.

I still have my little under powered WRR, and still prefer it over my 350 on longer multi-day (multi-state) tour type rides. At one point was thinking about selling the WRR, but after my last ride (RR here) I'm hanging onto it. The best mod you can do for your WRR is a suspension rebuild (revalve, springs, seals, $$) IMHO. Completely changes the bike.

A person still needs a minimum of three (3) bikes in the garage...:1drink
  5. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks everyone for posting up your findings, experience and satisfaction. about time for me to give something back.

i've been messing with my 2013 since october of last year.

few things i found out.

the chain is 114 links; the bike specs still show 118 links....:huh

since i want to put a larger rear sprocket, 52t, have to buy a new and longer chain (118 links). it works on both 13 and 14t cs.

the 118 links chain is too big for a 14/50 combo. damn. maybe a 116 will do, but i need the 118 if i go back to 52t.

a 15t cs barely fits, forget it. the tip of the teeth rubs against the plastic slider. it also leaves no room for the plastic slave cylinder guard. you have to leave it off.

just installed an exp rekluse. haven't done any riding yet, good chance this saturday.

more do's and duh! will post them here.

keep this thread a great source of info. i appreciate all you peeps finding the time to share.
  6. ViaADV

ViaADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    dvwalker, just read your UT/ID/OR Outback Ride via UTBDR, T2, OBDR - wow! It is on my hot list now. Thanks!

OK, I've got to ask. Why did you take your WRR on that trip? Why not the 350EXC??

7. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    if the 350 was my only steed choice, it would have been fine, although since I had the luxury of choice, these were the voices in my head ... :ear

• lots of remote sections on that ride, WRR was proven
    • many miles of non-technical road sections, 350 has more engine vibs at higher RPM, and not as comfortable at end of day
    • factory light for night riding is better on the WRR (currently)
    • really didn't want to put those kind of miles on my 350 queen
    • gas mileage is slightly better, although with my larger Acerbis really was a non-issue
    • stator output on the WRR has more wattage and when wearing heated clothing for long duration, battery condition may have become an issue on the 350. Turns out I didn't need the heated clothing since weather was good on this trip, roll of dice though
  8. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    congrats on your new purchase NSFW, you're going to have a blast getting it setup then riding...this bike will put a smile on your face that's worth the bikes weight in gold :freaky

I learned the hard way on the factory chain as well, with 48t rear had to go up 2 chain links to 116. The tension blocks are nice and centered with this setup. But like I said in a previous post, 48t rear is compromise gearing.

If you need more lower "billy goat" gearing control (50t vs 52t) and do not want to swap chains, think about swapping out your countershaft sprocket.
  9. ViaADV

ViaADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Makes total sense - thanks again. At this point, unless a great deal on a used KTM drops in my lap so I can justify both, I'm going to proceed with outfitting the WRR and enjoy riding it. I will likely focus more on non-technical rides over the next couple of years anyway since my 14 yr old son is just learning to ride and I want to try some of the long distance / remote / multi-state adventures. On these rides the reliability factor is a big one for me.
  10. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which tank did you buy? Would you do it again or something else?
  11. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    Acerbis 5.3 natural. It's a quality tank and clean no-hassle fit, with exception of fuel pump swap which takes a few minutes. Really like glancing down to see remaining fuel.

I'd probably go with the 13 liter (3.4gal) if I was to do it all again. The powerparts tank kit includes the fuel pump, that way you have a spare.

[​IMG]
  12. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much of a handlebar rise did you get with the HDB mounts?
  13. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    1 5/8" from the hdb scotts mount over stock then another 1/2" from the new bar.
  14. Eagerpooch

Eagerpooch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so i just did the roaming rally on the 350 and it rocked. she ran flawless for about 400 miles.

I did cruise through my rear tire and would like to put a good dirt tire (non dot) for nasty muddy, rocky, sandy NE conditions. I dont typically ride street much.

lemme know if you have any recomendations. i am just changing the rear. the stock front still looks good after 600mi
  15. Lance Hardwud

Lance Hardwud Long timer

Oddometer:

Who sells the tank with pump included?
  16. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Just completed 1069 miles in 6 days of eat, sleep, and ride on the KTM 350 EXC-F
    lightweight, go anywhere, adventure machine w/ 3 other ADVriders on KTM's
    MAP LINKY
    [​IMG]
    Camped light off the bike (est.20#'s gear). 150-300 miles per day.
    No fuel in Denio required 300 miles between fuel stops (Gerlach to Fields) with .2 gal to spare on big 5.2 gal natural tank= 60 mpg. Stock fuel mapping
    If yer goin' remote, get the big tank. The fuel pump is easy to remove/install, it will fall right into place. You will need the thinner thru fittings for the big tank and a good hose clamp (not the one that comes w/ the big tank).
    [​IMG]
    13/45 gearing=stock chain and 60mph cruise speed
    Enduro Engineering seat.
    Zero Issues
    Balance your wheels
    RR soon....film @11.
    [​IMG]

Juan
    Nevada City, CA.​
  17. Attrition

Attrition Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/68846977" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="281" width="500"></iframe> KTM 350 EXC-F

I was out on a trail ride when the bike started making this noise. It was a lot louder when the bike was hot.

After doing some research it seems that the cam chain tensioner does not do a good job and is prone to failure.

The bike only has 9 hours on the clock and I am going to replace the tensioner with a DJH manual tensioner.

Anyone else have this problem? Or am I misdiagnosing it?
  18. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Awesome, Juan! Thats exactly the kind of trip For which I got the bike. Post a link to the ride report, thats a ride not to far from me.
  19. gplassm

gplassm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. My '12 350EXC-F has only 16 hours on it, and it makes a similar sound when I ride it. At first, I thought that it was chain slap, so I changed the stock gearing from 14/45 to 13/48 (still using the stock chain). I still heard the noise. I then tensioned the drive chain by the manual - tightening it until it would just hit the leading edge of the upper chain guard. I still heard the noise. I then tensioned the chain by removing the shock, and check the tension while the CS, the swing arm pivot, and the rear axle were in one plane. It still makes the noise.
    To this day, I can hear the noise, but it only seems to constantly occur when I am at relatively low RPM. Once I get above, maybe 3 or 4,000 RPM, I can not hear it anymore. The noise is not *terrible*, but it does make me a bit nervous. I am also nervous to use anything but the recommended Motrex 10W-50. I certainly would not use a lighter viscosity oil, as the CCT is hydraulically assisted, using oil pressure from the oil pump. I might see if the alternate 10W-60 helps, seeing as summer is here now anyway.
  20. Attrition

Attrition Adventurer

Oddometer:

It makes me nervous as well. It does not make a lot of noise but I wonder if I should ride it at all or wait until I can fix it.