Cincinnati to COBDR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Britome, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was an interesting day. We woke up in a beautiful campsite in the high desert just out of Gypsum. We headed out on perfectly moist (I know that word offends some) and compact soft dirt that otherwise would have been squirrelly and dusty.

Craig's ratchet strap busted and wrapped around his rear spokes. More case drama but all was fine as we pressed on to the beautiful Colorado River Road. It is hard pack and windy and follows the rail line. At some points the road and the track blend into one.
    [​IMG]
    Later on we had more high desert with more cattle and my son decided to traumatize them and headed into the field to herd them. Maybe the first time 20 head I cattle have been moved 100 yards by a GSA.

Just when we were getting hot we came upon the obstacle of the day, the 3 foot stream that is featured in the touratech video. Jake went first and bogged down just at the end. We pushed his bike the final 12 ft just in case it was water locked.

Art went next and used his snorkel that he fashioned from a washer hose at a Denver Home Depot. He made it no problem.

He threw it back over the water for me to use. The GSA tank makes it a bit more tight to fit onto the airbox so it must not have been total water tight as i bogged down.

With three bikes across and 2 likely water locked we found a beaver dam and ripped a hole in it downstream to lessen the depth for the final 2 riders.

For the hardcore naturalist's I know all of this is bumming you out. We have decided to call our group "The Locusts" because we are tearing up in a fun and appropriate way Colorado's Backcountry.
    [​IMG]

In the end, Judd and Craig pushed their bikes over. That was the right move. Jake and I took all of our plugs out and cranked the starter and watched water spew forth on the ground. We went from a day of making great time to spending 2hrs working on our bikes.

As we worked in the sun, we also bathed in the stream and washed our clothes with environmentally friendly Dr Bronners soap (we aren't total douche canoes).
    [​IMG]
    We hit Steamboat with me stressing out about finding an auto parts store to change the oil on two bikes for fear of water being in the engine. Lying on hot asphalt and wrestling off a Black Dog and Touratech bash plate was not something I was looking forward to.

By the time we pulled in, both warning lights stopped flashing and the oil looked good thru the site glass so I decided to leave it as is. I've seen and changed frothy oil before and I think we are in the clear.

We pulled onto seed house road in the Routt National Forest and found a great campsite that is to the left and past the official campsites. As we pulled into a gorgeous meadow in a hard downpour we scrambled to erect our tarp for the third night in a row.

Partying under a tarp in the middle of nowhere at the end of a day in a beautiful spot is awesome. The fire later on was awesome.
    [​IMG]
  2. Muddy3

Muddy3 Muddy

Oddometer:
    Just a quick thanks to these guys. I was riding the northern half of the COBDR solo. I came across these guys right after they had made the water crossing. They saved me a water locked engine and even helped push my bike through to the other side. Great guys all around. Thanks again and happy trails!
    Todd
    [​IMG]
  3. watox

watox BDR-Junky

Oddometer:
    The team has split, two men driving East and the rest of us killing time in Denver before the flight at Steuben's. Great place!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. windex

windex former hobo

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This sums up the trip in one photo.
  5. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Today we headed back home after a great trip. Section 6 was easy and with very few frills and thrills. Since we had time we headed into Wyoming and spent a day in and around Medicine Hat National Forest.

If you can make your way to Phantom Lake, do it. Unfortunately, it was late in the day and not a good call to get everyone up a hairy trail. The last campsite was still a winner before we headed back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Taking a dip in the stream was cold, refreshing and priceless!

In later posts we will give final thoughts and tips for anyone else embarking on this journey in the future.
  6. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Great meeting you, Todd. Please post a pic of your bad ass BMW/Yamaha customized machine.
  7. watox

watox BDR-Junky

Oddometer:
    Agreed Todd. We were well met.

I'll take the liberty of posting a pic of that awesome project bike of yours.

[​IMG]

8. watox

watox BDR-Junky

Oddometer:
    We found some awesome wood near our camp at elevation. Too bad we couldn't actually make a fire.

[​IMG]

9. watox

watox BDR-Junky

Oddometer:
    Note to anyone riding through Buena Vista. Stop by EddyLine Brewing http://eddylinebrewing.com/ for a great beer and awesome pizza.

Good vibe and food

10. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    The trip is over and we are in depression. Closing thoughts and tips coming soon.
  11. SquidRavioli

SquidRavioli Beer Snob

Oddometer:
    :clap Awesome pic.
  12. rhollamby

rhollamby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice trip report guys, heading out in two'ish weeks for this trip.

Lets hear them dude!
  13. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Thx for the prompt. I'll get them posted inside 48 hrs.
  14. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Ok... Another 24 please
  15. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    1) Just do it. Anyone one with even basic skills will enjoy it! Don't over think this but now I'm going to enable you to over think...

2) Give yourself enough time to enjoy the ride and the unexpected delays that you’ll have.

3) Don’t be afraid to take side trips. There are a lot of interesting trails you pass. In fact, if you don't make it to the last section that is fine. It is OK but by far the least scenic and least adventuresome. Sections 2 to 4 were our favorites.

4) Keep your weight down. Share everything so only the minimal amount of tools, camping gear, etc. is needed. You can restock food, water, gas every day. If it’s not going to be used don’t take it. A bike in good condition will make it and that includes the big and heavy GSA.

5) Must have GPS with downloaded routes. Butler map won’t get it done and Start in Delores, Co. where the dirt starts.

6) Don’t drink Coors beer. The Colorado beer snobs will give you shit.

7) Take plenty of bailing wire, extra bolts. a spare wratcheting strap and gorilla tape. Stuff rattles off and breaks on a trip like this. The bike and gear will get scratched and abused. If you can't handle that don't go.

8) We had rain on three nights. Pack your tarp and bungles in an easy to get to place on one bike so you can set up shelter and have beer quickly.

9) Don't do this alone. Try to do the ride with people who are at the relative same skill set. Small groups of no more than 6 are ideal. 4-5 is the sweet spot. Make sure these are good, resilient and positive people. Trying to get yourself through some of the challenges is tough but trying to pull someone else along will ruin it.

10) The Road Captain should have final say, in all things. They can take other's input but decisions should be theirs and not debated. Democracy won't work.

11) Try to enjoy all the unforeseen challenges in the moment. The challenges are what make these rides epic. The riding and views are amazing but strapping a buddies pannier back on with bailing wire and ratchet straps while 90 miles from anywhere is what you'll remember. That hill that almost whipped you (or did) and that time you lost your shit with your pals because you were spent, emotionally, physically and every other way, will help shape you as a person. (James 1:2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds.)

Bottom line, do this. Soak it up and roll around in it. Commit yourself fully to it like a child commits to innocence. Not asking why or when, just being. You will not regret it. Whether you complete it or get hung up 1/2 way through, the ride is a vehicle for a greater journey. That journey will be uniquely yours and be shared with the men with whom you undertook it.

These trips can change you on a deep and lasting level, especially if this is your first. Be prepared to have a hard time explaining these trips to anyone who hasn't shared the experience.
    NorthFork likes this.
  16. rhollamby

rhollamby Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks, certainly appreciate the follow up notes!
  17. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
  18. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    The video comes compliments of Windex. Well done, brother.
  19. watox

watox BDR-Junky

Oddometer:
    So good! Great work Windex!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  20. RandyReider

RandyReider Kind of a Big Deal

Oddometer:
    Great post ride notes, Britome. Looks like an amazing adventure!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free