F800GS - RXV Shiver'ed Fork Conversion

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Gangplank, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Easy to find a set. They are everywhere on fleabay. 11.8" travel. The only hard part is figuring out if the top cap will fit or how to make it work with the f800 tubes. :)

I'm not saying it will work just that it might. A good tuning shop can help here.
  2. epicxcrider

epicxcrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The YZ fork is a completely different beast. The shiver conversion works well because the Bimmer fork dropouts were originally designed to have the nicer dampers. They have the correct "seat" if you will, for the better damper to sit in. All the machining is only to fit the compression adjuster.

In the YZ fork, the spring seats at the bottom of the fork, and I think the retrofit would be a challenging one. I would stick with the Shiver 45 damper because it's a guaranteed fit and they are great forks once tuned properly.
  3. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind you are using the internals from the donor fork not the tubes. So long as

1) they have enough travel & length. You can always shorten them internally using a spacer but it's hard to make them longer.

2) You have to machine the bottom feet of the BMW to accept the donor bottom adjuster which is compression

3) You have to fit the top caps from the donor fork to the BMW stock tubes. Or you might be able to machine the stock top caps to work with the donor fork.

So yes those you have look like they will work if the top caps fit.
  4. epicxcrider

Oddometer:

I just caught this, but if you're looking at a brand other than Marzocchi you may run into trouble with the swap. So ya, what gangplank said.
  5. DoWorkSon

DoWorkSon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are marzocchi. PM sent!
  6. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok gotcha!
  7. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Yes I agree. It would be starting from scratch to determine if the internals from any other fork could be used for the swap. The Marzocchi Shiver 45 forks are a direct swap with just the machining of the bottom feet and that makes it easy.
  8. DoWorkSon

Oddometer:
    Anyone have pics, or method for making the spacer that shortens the travel? I know it's been said its a 40mm spacer, but any of info on it? It is a precise machines part, or a DIY item?
  9. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picture is on the first page, post 8. Discussion follows.
  10. DoWorkSon

Oddometer:
    I see a pic and some discussion, but it seems like most are sayig it was made by their suspension guy.

Is it just a 40mm cylinder that slides over the rod. Two holes in it, one to line up with hole in rod, and another so a bolt can tighten it to the rod and secure it in place?
  11. DoWorkSon

Oddometer:
    Anyone?

I just got a pair of forks so should be doing this mod within the next few weeks....
  12. Gangplank

Oddometer:

I just don't recall. I think mine was made with a spring instead of a plastic spacer.
  13. DoWorkSon

Oddometer:
    So no need for some machined metal spacer? Plastic will do?
  14. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure a plastic fork spacer like the ones made by Moose racing will do.
  15. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    Are you planning on taking the forks to a suspension shop to be set up? If so, you can just have them put the right length spacer for your springs in, so you don't have to figure the length out. If you aren't going to take it to a suspension shop, you can just do what Epicxrider did and leave the spacer out if you have the same fork length that he did.
  16. DoWorkSon

Oddometer:
    I was planning on a revalve at a local shop. I didn't know if a spacer was something they would do...the forks I got have 12" of travel, so I need to reduce it a few inches
  17. epicxcrider

Oddometer:
    I'm sure they can put in a spacer for you. Call and ask.
  18. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    Pretty pumped, but got a set of Husky forks coming my way. No idea when the guy is going to ship them, but hopefully I'll get working on them next week. I also just got a set of TKC80s to replace the OEM Pirelli Scorpions. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions once I have the forks in hand and opened up. Never taken forks off, so this will be new territory for me.

Anyone else looking for forks? I've spent an ungodly amount of time 3 and 4 times a day neurotically checking sites for forks until I landed these, so I know of a 2 or 3 out there if you want to PM me.
  19. DoWorkSon

Oddometer:
    Mine arrive tomorrow!

For those that have done it, what is the usual turn around for the machining?
  20. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I think it really depends on the shop you use and how busy they are. Also, make sure they completely understand what you want done. Machining it really doesn't take long at all. Setting up would take half the time of the actual work!