Planning a trip to the rookies.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Roux-80, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    (poste edited with a more precise route)

Hi,

I'm plannig a trip from Quebec to BC next year. Here is the projet (It will be my first time here, so your suggestion for road, hotel, campgroung, trail and food are welcome!):

First 4 days are the boring parts :rofl

Day 1 Quebec -> Cochrane ONT: 1150km
    Day 2 Cochrane -> Dryden ONT : 1060km
    Day 3 Dryden -> Moose Jaw Sask: 1007km
    Day 4 Moose Jaw -> Cochcrane AB: 720km

I'm looking for cheap motel or nice campground for the town above, I don't want to spend 100$ a night juste for an 6 hrs sleep and a hot shower.
    :eek1

Day 5: Cochrane AB -> Hinton AB: 456 km approx.

Day 6: Hinton AB -> William lake BC: 627 km

Day 7: William lake to Lillooet via chilco lake: 440 km ( longest part of the trip without fuel, the super t have a 380km range offroad, so with a 1 gallon kolpin I would be ok, but a 2 gal would be a lot safer)

Day 8: Lillooet -> Vancouver: 550 km

Day 9: Vancouver -> Vernon: 450 km

Day 10: Vernon -> Edgewood: 400 km

Day 11 Edgewood -¨> Kimberly: 410 km

Day 12: Kimberly bc -> Calgary AB: 666 km

Most of the gravel sections can be by-pass by pavement if the weather gone bad.

So what do you think? Link to the gpx file of my route at the bottom.

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/463825/projet-bc-gpx.html
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    When, more precisely, are you planning to do this trip? Some of the higher elevations aren't free of snow until the beginning of July at the earliest.
  3. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    July or august next year.
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great idea!!

Can't make the call on the weather up in the Rockies or east of them, but west of the Rockies the weather will be grand. As noted, higher elevations most anything can happen. I've hit 10" of snow on the Coquihalla Hwy in late July on my Laverda, had to turn back. Lilloett is part of the northern finger of the Sonoran desert, so it will be popcorn dry and hot in that region.
    Any thoughts on tire wear across the prairies? The S-Tenere uses the same Metzelers as on my 1200GS, they seem to do fine wear wise, but high speed-flat riding with full gear does tend to flat spot anything. May not work well once you get into the FS roads out here.
  5. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    I've got 2 options for the tires.

opt 1: Put a brand new set of K60, I think they should hold up the entire trip if I can control my wright wrist....The rear worn out very fast on the gravel here, never make more than 8000 km but there is a lot of guys making 10 000 to 15 000 with them.

opt 2: Going to Calgary on street tire, then buy a set of TKC, find a place to store the street tire and but them back on my way home. Any idea were I can leave those tire?

I'm open to more idea, but I don't want to carry a tire set on the back of the bike the entire trip.
  6. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    TKC 80 front
    Mitas e07 rear
    The Super Tenere will be perfect for Hurley/Carpenter Lake, etc.
    China Head? Don't think so.
  7. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to pack an extra rear tire around either. Middle of Siberia, ok, but we've got it pretty good here with tire availability. If it was me, I'd pre arrange a tire change at a shop somewhere in Calgary, and spoon on a dual compound street tire for the long straight across the prairies. I pre-arranged that this last summer down in the states, they were waiting for me in Missoula, in and out in 1 1/2 hrs, just in time for breakfast.
  8. CaribooBC

CaribooBC "Путін, іди нахуй"

Oddometer:
    China Head would be very challenging on a Super Tenere. High Bar would also challenge you, very steep (22% grade) with sandy sections. The climb out of the west side of the Big Bar ferry also has some very loose sand but should be doable. The rest down to Lillooet should not be a problem. I live right on #24, just outside of Lone Butte. If you want a free place to camp and shower and a shop for repairs/maintenance let me know and I will try to be home for you. You would miss out on the North Bonaparte Rd from Bridge Lake to 70 Mile though. It is just another gravel road though, nothing special about it really.
    Let me know if I can be of help.
  9. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input and the offer.

I edited the first post with more detail.
  10. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    A thought: you could carry tires out just until you get to Alberta, swap them and leave them with someone out here (Calgary- I'm sure someone here would oblige), then pick them up on the way back.
    Bonne chance!
  11. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it's like trying to carry enough beer all the Way across the country....just buy beer and tires when you need 'em! seems a Huge hassle to pack skins the whole way...what's next? a slip tank for motorbikes so you dont have to buy gas from a pump your whole trip?
    kapeesh...kapeesh.
    have a fun time planning
    have a better time acting them out!!
  12. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Day 11....400Km??? You are somehow taking a heck of a detour??? Back down to Grand Forks and up the FSR to Edgewood or just to Rock Creek and up the Kettle River FSR ??? :ear
  13. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are welcome to change your tires and stay at my place here in Calgary, if I am around, You can also store them for a return ride. I can help you change and balance them. I am headed to Minnisota the 3rd week of July.
    Pm me when the time draws nearer.
  14. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was scratching my head over that one too but then I got splinters. :D
  15. H96669

Oddometer:
    Splinters:eek1....no need to scratch my head, got plenty of them roofing the shack last couple weeks.Only had time for a little ride up the hill and back down to Edgewood, a little detour instead of waiting for the ferry.:clap

Whichever way I look...plenty of gravelle here. Bike is muddy.....:rofl

Ecoute moi pas Mr. Garnotte, je peux t'envoyer faire de la gravelle trop pour fitter ton horaire.:evil

Off to Mica today.....and some Poutine on the way I hope the French Canadian waitress is working.:evil:dg
  16. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    Maybe I will bring a few bag of cheeze curd with me because a poutine isn't a real poutine without cheeze curd! :p C'est bon en osti de tabarnak avec du fromage frais!:D:D

Btw for the 400 km, I didn't say I will take the shorter route hehe.
  17. CaribooBC

CaribooBC "Путін, іди нахуй"

Oddometer:
    You can buy cheese curd at The Village Cheese Company in Armstrong BC, its in the North Okanagan just off of Hwy 97A.
  18. H96669

Oddometer:
    :clap And the food is pretty good there. The curds of course only if they just made them and were never refrigerated.Pretty big bag for $10.00....good deal!:wink:

Nomad was closed in Revvy yesterday.Pas de p'tite fille de Sherbrooke...:cry Re-opens Nov 01.:clap Had to go to Denny's and the geriatric waiting staff, stay away from the new "featured" omelettes.Tortilla Chorizo...:puke1
  19. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    And were you can find this " poutine heaven" in Revy? :D
  20. H96669

Oddometer:
    Heaven???? Yep a large bowl of soup....a Poutine then a double Ice Cream on a waffle cone, that's heaven for me + watching the heavenly sceneries:evil,good for the old eyes.:lol3

Turn left into Revy if coming from the east, go under the railway overpass,keep looking right they usually have a 2 wheel delivery thing parked in front.

A little gravel for me today??? 100 Kms but no Poutine at the end, Chippy's is closed for the season in Kaslo.:cry:cry:cryDecisions.... decisions in the summer, the Classic, Hippie or Redneck....???Bienvenue dans les Kootenays....!:rofl

OK wanna see the Poutine in Revy??? Go there I sent him there after I noticed his "Autoroute Transcanadienne 20" sticker when I met him at the end of the gravel road he had just travelled, the one where I am going today....:clap Post 24....:wink:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912101