Kahedo seats

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdvStrider, Nov 19, 2013.

1. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of getting a Kahedo sport seat for my new GSW, but haven't seen these on any bikes. Are they any good? Recommended or steer clear? Touratech don't have stock, so I can't see what they are like, in the flesh, its a case of ordering it blind if I want one, and they ain't cheap!
  2. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

In '07 when I bought my bike I installed a Kahedo XLow seat to get the seat height down. I ride only off road and often on uneven ground....if you flame out and need to "dab" or go over...on a slope my 33" inseam was not enough with stock seat in low position ['07GSA]...

Kahedo is good for 400 mi days even at slow speeds...but again I standup a lot at low speeds....

Overall I give it an "A"
  3. Tiz

Tiz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like my high/breathable Kahedo but I use a sheepskin in winter or beadrider in summer. Rode to Main from CT and it was fine (and back).

Expensive.

--Kevin
  4. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I had one on my 1100. At first I thought it was ridiculously firm. After a week, I thought it was ok. After a month, it was the best seat I've ever had. I'm not sure whether the seat broke in or my ass, but either way . . . :evil
  5. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Can you post a pic of the one you are interested in? I have owned a "sportseat" (the long one-piece seat) for the oil-cooled and it was a brick. I own a LDC comfort low and it is my go to seat for all but street touring. TT doesn't show a sportseat on the website for the LC.
  6. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Damn. Looks good. That is a totally different seat than anything previously offered. Good luck! Somebody has to be first!
  8. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ordered one, 4-6 week lead time, so should arrive the same time as the bike! Will update once it's here.:clap
  9. Cobrastyle

Cobrastyle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that. I just got the extra low seat from Touratech last week and can flat-foot both feet now, which is what I was going for. I do notice the seat is very hard in comparison to the stock seat, but after riding for an hour I had no pain or hot spots. I couldn't figure why, but am glad to hear that either the seat will break in or my butt will.

Leaving for a 6 day trip on Saturday which should expedite the break-in period...

I hope.
  10. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    An added benefit is that if you use a Beadrider, the extra firmness of the Kahedo seat ensure you get the full circulation effect of the beads on hot summer days. :evil
  11. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

See these images for the seat I bought in '07 [see my previous post above]...the seat shown really allows "boots on the ground"...mine is the single seat shown in mostly the first few images and then in later photos...two tone Blk/Gry...in fact the 2nd and 11th photos are of my bike...before I took the hard cases off!:D

https://www.google.com/search?q=kahedo+extra+low+seat&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS437US437&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=UqCOUtzWL6qpiQKauoDoCQ&ved=0CFcQsAQ&biw=1017&bih=842
  12. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I have the all black TT low (comfort rider seat LDC) and have owned the long sportseat. If the sportseat was constructed like my low, it would be perfect . I am hoping for this fella this new seat is just that.
  13. Botch

Botch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someone said on another thread awhile ago that hard seats are actually more comfortable on long rides, and they cited the fact that cowboys ride on hard saddles all day long to no ill effect (other than bad campfire music).
    I bought the Kahedo "Hot weather/Tall" seat, and it was comfortable to me on short jaunts but couldn't go for more than a couple hours. I then got the "Seat Concepts" mod, and could ride on that for 8-hour days (when the arthritis in my knees/wrists start dictating :cry ) and that seat is kinda soft! It does allow a bit of moving around, which helps, but it gets incredibly hot in the sun, and because I ride from building to building quite a bit in my job, I may slip the Kahedo (much cooler in the hot sun) back on next summer, give it another try.
  14. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    I had a TT/Kahedo LDC "High" seat on my '12 GS/A. Spectacular seat, super comfortable for all-day (1,000 + miles) riding.

Don't know if it'll fit a '13, but mine is for sale.
  15. PaperBoy

PaperBoy Dig that Crazy Beak

Oddometer:
    Oroville, Washington, USA - 48.938665, -119.427047
    I have the tall (one piece) on my R11GS and had basically the same results as Yeti, just wish mine was the extra tall. Thought I had a straight across trade for the taller one w/ a fellow inmate, but it fell through. I was worried that it was too hard, but it seems to work for me -- I do keep an Alaska sheepskin buttpad on year around. Would like to try the breathable TT one, but I don't think it's available for my bike.
  16. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe a daft question, but those with the one piece; does it ruffle at the front, like this?

[​IMG]
  17. Cobrastyle

Cobrastyle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got back from my 6 day ride - 1,019 miles. Great trip, all freeway (me & my wife), no off-roading. We did a few days that were 6 hours long (not constant riding; we'd stop each hour for a rest of 15 to 30 minutes). This was our first multi-day trip, and didn't really know what to expect.

On the 5th day I started having pain that lasted for hours after I finished riding, the pain steadily increasing for about an hour afterwards. While on the bike I felt okay more or less, but after getting off - discomfort. I've scoured the web for answers, and it might be perineal pain (or some variation on that).

Not here to bash the Kahedo seat. It just ended up being a bit too hard for me on the longer rides. I was thinking of searching for feedback on the Saddlemen Seats which seem to have an indentation in that area, but also see that Russel Day Long seats are highly regarded.

Kind of hard to "test" a seat when it takes 4-5 days before noticing if it doesn't work for you!

I suppose I can sell the Kahedo and go from there...
  18. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have the single sports seat, or individual Kahedo seats?
  19. Cobrastyle

Cobrastyle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went with this one:
    http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/...omfort-Seats-BMW-R1200GS-2013-on-Water-Cooled

It's a 2-piece seat. The one I bought is separate from the passenger seat. I went with the extra-low option.

FWIW, ordering from Touratech was easy and I got my shipment quicker than expected.

While the seat is still in nice condition, it got some boot-scuffs (we aren't the tallest people in town). Maybe that'll be my next course of action: search for now to clean seat scuffs. :D
  20. mountainguy

mountainguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you find the Kahedo seat to be a big improvement over the stock seat? Sorry it doesn't look like it will work for you. Sargent will have their seats available for the R1200GS WC. The Russell seats almost always work, but generally raise the seat height by an inch or so.