KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:
    Good write up Ned. I have been worried about longevity for some reason, being as how my beast has 10 whole hours on it, I guess it has another 790 in it....:D

I did the XC-W and added to it. Being a 2010 6 Days, I didn't add much, just a rear brake light switch and tag so far. I think in IL you can tag any KTM.

Between a broken hand, a long winter, and biblical rains I have not been riding.

KTM-Parts.com is having their annual Memorial Day sale, 20% if you sign up on their site. Time to by my big tank I guess.

"If I could only own one motorcycle, this would be it, and I'd have no regrets about it."

That is a pretty good endorsement I would say.
  2. bigborefan

Oddometer:
    I think I know where my longevity fears come from, KTMTalk. If you only ever visited that site, you would never buy a KTM.
  3. Bora20

Bora20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the capacity of the tank now?
  4. malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Christini custom tank is 3.2 gallons (US), stock is 2.4? It has a bit wider profile, but the seat remains in stock position, easy to get forward still.
  5. Bora20

Bora20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, just a bit smaller than my Clockworks. I would love to have the conversion on my bike. Maybe one day...
  6. Deseret Rider

Deseret Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ned----what, if anything, can be done to convert the '08 forks to '09 spec? Is it a matter of changing internal parts on the forks or----? If not--is there anything that a backyard mechanic can do himself to improve the '08 suspension?
  7. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure.

The coatings and wall thicknesses in the fork are different in the 2009 (and again later, but that was the big one) and I'm not sure to what degree these changes are what you feel as you ride.

Certainly, you could go to the 2009 shim stacks and see whether it's an improvement...
  8. DaveInSt.Augustine

DaveInSt.Augustine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the write up Ned. I just sold my 690 and am getting the 400 or 450. Has the 400 xcw been discontinued, I don't see it on KTM website for 2011. I see in Europe they make the 350EXC street legal, maybe for 2012 we will get the 350?
  9. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    :roflI would never have bought a 530 if that site did not exist.

I would never buy another KTM if they closed it down. :deal
  10. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gold colored fork tubes? I have a 2009 and the fork tubes are silver. How gold are they?
  11. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gold, Silver, it's all good. Not black. :lol3

I think they did stop making the 400, but there are still some left around on dealers floors. Do some calling and you'll be able to get an 09 for cheap, and no reason not to.

FWIW, I waited to ride the 350 before I bought my 400. IMO, the 350 is an excellent WORCS/ GNCC/ Hare Scrambles bike. The motor is strong but cammy and high strung. The suspension is awesome for charging, not what I care for in a wide-band trail bike that I want to use for everything. When I find myself in whoops, I usually look for something to explore. :deal

Can't claim to know everything about the Euro model, but they pretty much have to be street legal to be sold over there, so I would guess there's little difference to our 350 XCF.
  12. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice write-up. :thumb Threads like this one take on a life of their own and become the information go-to point for those looking to buy. You might consider throwing in a link to this summary somewhere on the first page so folks don't miss it buried on page 105.
  13. bigborefan

Oddometer:
    I'm not dissing the site. There is a lot of good info over there for sure. My point was some guys just harp on the negatives. They go on and on about the separate oil chambers in the 530. They make it sound like the bike won't do 5 hours.

I remember one guy with a 300. He complained daily about jetting and the bike boiling over. My 300 was flawless.

Same thing with my 690 also, ADVrider included. If you follow the 690 mega thread, the 690 sounds like junk. Mine has been pretty much flawless.

Ned is a good example for all of us. He buys the bikes, rides em a lot and lets us know what works. Big thanks to Ned.
  14. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the best things you can do to the EXC (08-09 1/2) is to replace the stock triple clamps with the fixed 22mm offset SX forks.

You get a bit more steering lock and the bike just feels better.

I ride trails and road, no MX.

YMMV.
  15. FinnDuro

FinnDuro Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer:
    It'd be real interesting to hear your impressions on the brand new 2012 EXC 500 vs. EXC 530, because of your extensive history on the model range. Expecting to get a ride on 2012 model 500 soon? :evil
  16. PD-Classic

PD-Classic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comparison, Neduro. Your first hand experience on these matters is probably unmatched by anyone else here on ADVrider.

I do think your rating of the 08 as a "6" is a little harsh. Of course, since I have an 08 I'm biased. I've owned it since new and once properly setup is a great bike.

In any case, I think the most important thing to keep in mind for potential buyers (regardless of whether you are buying new or used or the year being considered) is that all of these bikes will need to be setup properly in order to run well. They are certainly not "Ready to Race" as delivered from the factory.

The following changes are pretty much essential and easily done:

Desmog
    Rejet
    Replace or modify stock rear fender (stock will interfere with the rear tire - I run the KTM "Euro" Fender)

Other things I have done which I highly recommend are:

Regear (stock is way too tall at 15/45 - I run 13/52)
    Replace or modify stock silencer (stock is very restrictive and creates a lot of heat - I run the KTM Hard Parts FMF silencer)
    Radiator fan (I run the KTM Hard Parts fan)
    Upgraded stator (I run the KTM Hard Parts stator)
    Upgraded waterpump impeller (I run the KTM Hard Parts impeller)
    Newer cam (only applies to 2008 models)

I could go on, but the sun is shining and it's time to ride.:D
  17. G Goat

G Goat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How can you tell a 2010 from a 08/09? Serial number?
  18. Jon F

Jon F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The VIN will have an A in the 10th position for 2010 and a 9 for 2009, 8 for 2008, etc. Example: VBKEXN408AM000000.
  19. oinky1982

oinky1982 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HI everybody,

My bike burn fuse, I've try to put a 15amp instead of the 10 amp but still burn, usually start doing it after few hours ride, I ve check the wire nad look in good shape.

Also, about the battery, sometime bike get hard to start when it's hot, with e-start, I press the button and engine don't want turn, I hear it trying to but not much power, battery is in good shape.

When I start and stop every 10 minutes, after few hours no more battery, other bike with me ktm 400, don't have any trouble could be possible the 570 kit take to much power from battery to turn the engine ????

what is the best battery possible ??????

any sugestion ????
  20. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    I have TurnTech 5 Amp Lithium battery installed.

On the weekend, I had to kick it first thing in the morning and after my first stall. But after that, my bike started flawlessly in muddy single track. The fan was buzzing. The headlight high beam was on often and the the bike still turned over, even in gear.

I have not upgraded the stator yet.

This battery saved a couple pounds over stock.

It seems to be dead or weak shen cold but it gets stronger as it warms up...when it counts...when you are exhausted in the muddy single track.