ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)
    The tank is a bit skinnier than the stock tank with shrouds.

[​IMG]

First thing I noticed was a clearance problem with the Enduro Engineering radiator guards.

[​IMG]

A simple bend of the radiator mount relieved that issue. You may not want to do this. I'm okay with it.

[​IMG]

The second issue was up near the top of the radiator guard. It was rubbing against the tank. So I filed down the radiator guard so the surface was smooth and not a sharp edge.

[​IMG]

The pump dropped in very nicely and the two new mount bolts below aligned well(you reuse your old o-rings) and everything snugged up very well. The screws for mounting the electronic portion should NOT be tightened very tight. Be careful here. They say 2ft/lbs of torque.

It is wider across the thigh for sure.

[​IMG]

The tank to plastic area has a gap.

[​IMG]

But overall I'm going to enjoy the range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Acerbis did a very nice job on this tank.

Now I need to go for a ride!
  2. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    So I got up early to get some wrenching in before we head up hiking in the mountains for the day... I wanted to get a mental grasp on what types of things I am still going to have to work out.. like wiring (yay! I have room to mount my horn :D ) brake line routing, etc.

Here's a bunch more pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's what makes this design so stout...
    notice our triple clamps have two holes on each side (I took this photo last night when doing a spring swap)
    [​IMG]

Paul has designed his system so that the center bolts go through the risers like normal...
    [​IMG]

..but instead of the rear top clamp just bolting the clamp down, it goes all the way through and into that second triple clamp bolt meaning the entire system is bolted to the top triple with four 12mm bolts instead of two!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I already have the HDB system for crash guards and top clamp installed on my bike; everything bolted straight up quickly
    [​IMG]
  3. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Looking at the tree...

Looking down from the top - you can see how the tree mount extends in front of the HDB instrument guard
    [​IMG]

The bottom of the tree goes in with two bolts to the existing holes in the lower triple
    [​IMG]

The top of the tree mounts up with four bolts
    [​IMG]

test fitting - everything aligns perfectly.

[​IMG]
  4. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Roadbook system.

A big reason for me installing this is for Roadbook usage. The thing is, sadly that is only a small percentage of seat time.

...so for me the system has to 1) work and 2) be easy to remove!

The roadbook installs on the machined tower sticking up from the top
    [​IMG]

Here you can see how the mounting bracket on the f2r wraps around the pivot
    [​IMG]

Then another machined clamp and 4 nuts and its mounted - obviously easy to adjust the viewing angle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With stock headlight mask
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...then here is the cool part... 4 bolts (the tower bolts - not the roadbook's rotation bolts)... and in under a minute:
    [​IMG]

the entire thing comes off. I'm going to come up with some sort of a bracket that goes across with a RAM ball so I can mount my GPS in the space.

[​IMG]

Now I'm back to regular "dirtbike" mode.

[​IMG]

btw.. the mount for the roadbook has multiple mounting holes so you can fine tune how high or low you want your road book to be.

[​IMG]

Combine that with all of the holes in the frame (the 6 holes by my thumb).. and you can fine tune the roadbook to exactly where you want it.
    [​IMG]

If you want the roadbook further forward, just move the re-enforcement brace to the rear.
    [​IMG]

Overall I'm impressed with how well thought out this solution is.

Now I just gotta figure out my part of the equation.. how I want my brake line routed, my wiring loom positioned, etc.
    josip01 likes this.
  5. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That looks awesome!

Have a pic of the left side? How big is the bulge where there's no exhaust pipe? :lurk
  6. Mifune

Mifune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Geek, thanks for the detailed write-up and photos of the HDB rallybook mount. I'm about halfway through the thread over here (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684282) where Paul's ideas took shape. That's also a fascinating read and I can't wait to get to the part where he reconsiders whether to mount to the frame or to use his existing topclamp. My interest will be mainly for the robust lighting and fairing mounting poins - so the fact that I don't need a rallybook also makes being able to remove it an advantage.

Looks like I'm just a couple of days behind you in mounting the 5.3g tank. So thanks also for sharing those pictures.

-Stuart
  7. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Mock up shot in the garage will give you an idea of the left side.

[​IMG]
  8. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:

So have you had a chance to ride any trails with this super-tanker mounted up? I'm curious about the handling....
  9. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    The tank looks alot better in Natural! Now I want one! I see you also got a damper on the bike finally. Neccesity? or was it just that pretty HDB submount taunting you that made you decide to mount one?

Sorry to hear about the fuel pump. EFI is the debils work! What did your 10 micron filter look like when you pulled it? What about the internal filter?

I assume the internal filter is before the pump?

Did you buy one of these? http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/fp-hus (edit:this may not be a replacement)

You're bike problems are affecting my riding plans now, so let's get it fixed quick, m'Kay?
    chop. chop.:lol3
  10. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    The HDB stuff taunted me into the damper, I'm not sure the bike needs it except for the full throttle open stuff. I suppose not falling in that situation is preferred:lol3

Here is a pic for you of the filter closest to the injector. I blew through it and it had significant resistance compared to the new 20 filter. I'm not sur the picture shows much.

[​IMG]

I did not look at the tank filter. I think I will need too.

I'm having a bad month for stuff breaking. Hard drives, laptops, clutch hubs, subframes, fi pumps, cameras, and I don't even want to think about work:D. All little stuff in the grand scheme of things, but they take time. I'll be back to full scale riding before the end of this month.:freaky
  11. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:

Not yet SteveO, my FI pump is not working at the moment. I'll post a review after I can take it out for some testing.
  12. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    :1drink
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080212222217AA7vQuU
  13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Todd: looking at it... Two connectors inside the tank are spades... Maybe one came off?[​IMG]

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Difference in thickness stock vs 13L where petcock mounts

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which one is the stock one? Top or Bottom
  16. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
  17. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Nice work on those rally brackets Paul! Very slick. Are you really using 12mm bolts though? Are you drilling out and re-tapping the upper trippleclamps?
  18. Mifune

Mifune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The topclamps Paul delivers with the risers that accommodate the Scotts steering damp have always used 12mm bolts through the pair of holes closest to the rider, so I expect the same topclamps are used here.

I don't need a rally roadbook mount, but the cleanness of this setp up to mount a fairing, lights, horn, and generally clean up the wiring rat's nest makes it look like a winner to me.

-Stuart

Misead your question I think. The bolts that pass through to the triple clamp are the stock size (10mm?), only unique point is that all four holes are used, instead of just two, which means that the bolts closer to the rider are too big to pass through the standard (8mm?) holes in the topclamp. The 12mm reference looks like a typo.
  19. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    What Mifune said, they are the stock M10 size bolts, more than strong enough already.
  20. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Yes sorry.. 10mm typo on my part. :freaky

Steveo: the thicker one is stock.. it has much more substantial plastic in that location.