Thirty Days in Mexico (Más o Menos)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by troutshack, Jun 4, 2013.

1. troutshack

troutshack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Every since my last Mexico trip in the Fall of 2011 I have told anyone who would listen that I would love to go back including my Brother-in-Law, Mark. Although he hasn’t ridden in around thirty years Mark has the bug and has been looking for a bike. I have told him many times that I would go whenever he was ready, well he got ready.

I had seen a bike that met his criteria right here on advrider. He wanted something durable, affordable and reliable and that can only mean a KLR right? The bike was located in Shreveport, LA and we were going to try and have a look on May 5<sup>th</sup> after I returned home from visiting friends in Eureka Springs, AR. It was on that ride home that I got a call from my wife. “Mark is going to quit his job and ride Mexico with you “she said “and he’s ready to do it now.”

Stranger things have happened I guess and I’ll let Mark go into as much or as little detail as he likes about his motivations but I certainly wasn’t expecting him to quit his job, buy a bike and for us to be in Mexico by June 1<sup>st</sup>. It was a really great ride the rest of the way home as I contemplated the possibilities. I was excited and hoped that the bike in Shreveport would do. It was a-lot to take in for me end even more for Mark. He didn’t even have a motorcycle endorsement on his license.

After six hours on the road from Eureka Springs we hoped in Marks truck and drove another hour and a half to look at the bike. It was 2004 KLR with 30 K on the clock, lots of farkles and needing some attention but overall appeared to be a solid bike, at least for Mark, as he can fix anything IMHO. The owner of the bike told us it was a oil burner so we knew we would have to bore it out the same as we had My 2009 just 6 or so months before. There were problems with the turn indicators and other issues I’ll let Mark expand on if he wishes. By far the biggest issue was time. Mark put in his two week notice May 9<sup>th</sup> out target leave date was May 27<sup>th</sup>. In the mean time we would have to order parts, fix mechanical issues, replace tires chains sprockets ect. and Texas requires a motorcycle safety class to get a license so there’s one weekend shot. Can we make it?

Meet Mark aka (backpackhill) installing a pre bored exchanged 685 cylinder from Eagle Mike.

[​IMG]
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :freaky
  3. Jick Magger

Jick Magger Exile on Main Street

Oddometer:
    Okanagan Valley BC, Canada/Scottsdale, Arizona
    "Quit the Job" You gotta love that!:clap
    Bring it on ..subscribed:ear
  4. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    :freaky
  5. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed.

Recently picked up a KLR myself, for the purpose of doing a "dirtier" Mexico trip.
  6. backpackhill

backpackhill n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, I’m Mark the brother-in law that quit his job and made it to Mexico.
    I bought the kit to make my KLR 650, a 685. We are now traveling in Mexico and having a great time. I will be moving to Dallas, as soon as the trip end. My last vacation, was so long ago that Mexico seemed to be what I needed.
    :rofl
  7. troutshack

troutshack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, from Mark’s post above you know we made it. We frantically placed orders for gear and parts. Mark didn’t even have a helmet. He and my youngest son took the rider course together (Which I hope will lead to my third Mexico ride next summer:clap). Everything came in and was installed in time with one exception. Mark’s bike was having carb problems but we couldn’t find one that could make it to us in time. We made the decision to go anyway and the morning of May 30<sup>th</sup> we left. Bound for Mexico with an idea of what we wanted to see and where we wanted to go but no plan of attack. One day at a time my friend, one day at a time.

Day 1 (May 30<sup>th</sup>)

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    [​IMG]
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Our plan for today was to make it to J.D.’s (schizzman) place in Austin. I met J.D. on my last MX trip and he is a well of knowledge on many things one of them being riding in Mexico he is also an incredible host. If you ever get the opportunity to spend any time with this man don’t pass it up!:deal

The trip didn’t start out pleasant we were punished by demanding winds all the first day and Mark was still having carb problems. It was a tough ride for me and I know it was hard on Mark it was his first long day of riding ever and his first day of riding other than short test rides in 30 years. It was like riding on a sailboat.

The wind swept plains of central Texas.

[​IMG]

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    Upon arriving at J.D.’s place Mark had had enough, he immediately began working on the carb issue again. This time he found debris in the carb. Will that be the fix, or will this become a repeating pic? <label for="rb_iconid_28">:evil</label> More to come. I can tell you this Mark doesn’t think this is funny…yet, I keep telling him he will laugh at it one day.

Mark with J.D. assisting

[​IMG]

That night J.D. treated us to a great steak dinner and some fine Tequlia. We sat around the table at J.D.’s looking at maps bouncing ideas around and looking up gps coordinates. A plan was emerging, a plan that included visiting the distillery where J.D. found that fine Tequila.:freaky
  8. Blind Warrior

Blind Warrior Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer:
    How far, how long?
  9. troutshack

troutshack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How Far? We plan to go as far as tikal/ Flores Guatemala and then return up the Pacific coast? Spend +/- 30 days doing it. Nothing set in stone though, not even in mud. I do need to be home around the first week or two of July. Stay tuned!
  10. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Subscribed ! :freaky

Troutshack, I regret missing you and Mark on the way through here, would have loved hosting you at casa WB.

I fully intend to fall back in love with my KLR after I give it a going over and get it running. Great bikes.

Enjoy the trip ! :clap
  11. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Juan, you might get another shot at hosting these guys in a few weeks.
    I know they would greatly appreciate your hospitality.
  12. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
  13. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    don't spare the details!
  14. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! :lurk Don't think twice about the KLR. It's a perfect bike for a month in Mexico. If you get over this way give me a shout. :freaky
  15. troutshack

troutshack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late update, we haven’t had internet for the past two days.
    Thanks to everyone for following along.

Diggerled I hope you do a report I would love to do a little dirt in MX but I have a hard time finding my way on the tarmac.

WB, I’ll let you know when we are passing back through if you can’t host us no problem but maybe we can meet up for a cerveza or three.

Kedgi, what does lobster cost in the lobster capital of the world?

SR we certainly will if not on this trip hopefully the next will be that direction. This is Mark’s trip. I’m just trying to navigate for him. He wants to see the ruins, I suggested we go back up the West coast all the way to CA but I don’t think he’s going for it.

Day 2

J. D. took us to an awesome breakfast before seeing us off and then heading to work himself.

[​IMG]

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    Notice his work attire. No wonder he’s such a great guy, life’s a beach for J.D... :clapMark’s bike was still having issues so before sending us off J.D. pointed us to an AutoZone and a Wal-Mart because I had forgotten mosquito repellant and Mark wants to see some ruins so were going to need it.

I took this pic at Auto Zone while Mark was in buying an inline fuel filter and some Seafoam as suggested by J.D. I didn’t take a pic of him installing because like I said he still doesn’t think this is funny…..but one day he will, one day. Might take me awhile also if my bike kept dying in Austin traffic. The question remains, is it fixed?

[​IMG]

Fuel filter installed and seafoam in the tank we head across the parking lot to Wal-Mart to pick up some repellant. No big deal. I lived in Austin in the late 80’s and the population was around 360k if I remember correctly and Austin has BOOMED since then I have no idea what the population is now. As we are getting on our bikes to head out of town a guy sees our bikes comes up to us and ask if we know J.D., I’m telling you this guy has quite the reputation in that town. What are the odds? I’m guessing that it won’t be long and you will be able to go to any store in Mexico on an adventure bike and they are going to ask if you know J.D.!

We get out of town with Mark’s KLR running fine. Really wanted to say hi and maybe have lunch with Tricepilot in San Antonio but we had a big breakfast and lost time installing the filter ect so we pressed on. I noticed Mark getting close to me then falling back over and over on the trip, didn’t think anything about it, everybody rides differently right? Well at one of our fuel stops he tells me he is still having problems. We passed an auto parts store and I didn’t stop, didn’t even notice it, my bike was running fine and Assumed his was. Mark latter told me he was trying to get me to stop there. He kept dragging further and further behind.

There was a rest stop I remembered from my last trip. Last time it had “watch for rattlesnakes” signs running down the length of it. Nice place with short, stubby oaks providing shade. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->I pulled in and waited for Mark to catch up. The signs were gone, must be the time of year? When Mark arrived he had enough and wanted to tear into his bike again. He said it wasn't him varying speed but the bike. We found some shade, looked around for snakes and proceeded.

First he looked at the carb again.

[​IMG]
    Nadda, Clean! Fuel filter clean, but almost no fuel in the filter?

So he takes the tank off. No fuel flowing through the petcock. This thing has a problem, a problem a little blue pill can’t fix it.

[​IMG]
    Upon further investigation, with the help of a clymers manual we discover that someone has removed a spring from the petcock …guessing in an attempt to make it gravity fed? But there is an O ring that can still seal the deal and stop the flow of fuel…fuel, spark, air, got to have all three. We remove the O ring, Mark test it around the rest stop and we are on our way again. We make it to Pharr Texas before sunset and stay in a seedy motel close to the border because we’re to tired and hot to look for anything better, but are our problems over? I can assure you they are not. More to come…
  16. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    So how's Mark's bike running now??

If you see Ester at Palenque tell her I said "hi" and that I didn't drink the
    whole jar in one sitting. She seemed a bit alarmed. Thanks.
  17. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Kedgi, what does lobster cost in the lobster capital of the world?

It is $4.99 a pound, cooked, this week. Recently, there have been protests by the Fishermen because the large brokerages are only giving them $2.50/pound wholesale. The price they get hasn't gone up in years and years in spite of the cost of everything else going up, especially fuel and insurance.

If ya like lobster, and warm water, this is the place to be in July and August. They say Shediac has the warmest salt water north of the Carlolinas. The Straight between NB and Prince Edward Island is shallow, it is 16 miles across but only 100 feet deep, we have miles and miles and miles of beautiful sandy beaches on NB's north shore. Come Visit!

Hijack over

Kedgi
  18. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
  19. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. troutshack

troutshack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Schizzman, we will certainly look for Ester. I’m guessing she won’t be hard to spot?:D

Kedgi, Shediac is now officially on my wish list of places to visit.:deal

Thanks for following along Oldone!:clap

RW66, you are absolutely right!:freaky