WV Historical Markers - Let's Find All 700

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by pnoman, Nov 16, 2008.

1. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Hey, you found one that was still listed as "Missing"! :clap That's why I didn't claim my spreadsheet was 100% accurate. Probably never will be.

Nice to see you guys pull a dual tag. :D
  2. WVdyhrd

WVdyhrd mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer:
    Kinda new the marker thing. I think this one was up for grabs. Inmate Stotts lead me over there today to grab one, and he should be around shortly with some solo :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. stotts

stotts back up in there

Oddometer:
    So ive been checking this thread for a few days and there are some unchecked in my neck of the woods. after lunch i took a 3min ride downtown and stopped here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is right in the heart of Huntington, even though its in town there are still some GREAT roads just a few stoplights away! the marker is by the new Huntington tourism office and a few neat shops, right around the corner is Pullman square with shopping, movies and lots of good places to fill your gut.
  4. stotts

stotts back up in there

Oddometer:
    just a short ride through town, and past Marshall University, i rode 20th street to norway ave. at the top of the hill sits my next stop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    once again, in town and cant really crank it, but your not far away (the scenery on campus is a HUGE plus)!
  5. stotts

stotts back up in there

Oddometer:
    from Spring Hill Cemetery i stayed on norway which turns into washington blvd. then across rt.60 to altizer and picked up guyan river road, its my daily commute road, nice and relaxed curvy and light traveled. at the end of the road sat my 3rd marker for the day!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    when i left here i stopped to meet with WVdyhrd and off we went to find the 4th tag of the day! this last stretch is where the ridin picked up:clap. two plus hours of backroads to do what would have taken 15 min on rt.60:ricky
  6. stotts

stotts back up in there

Oddometer:
    merrits creek rd. to rt.2(shortly) then nine mile out to fairview ridge. fairview over to spurlock creek down to union ridge. up and over union ridge then picked up barker ridge. barker ridge ends at a four way stop and straight ahead is dry ridge. dry ridge turns into whitten ridge through mason county and spills out on johns creek. johns creek takes you into Milton and what should we find
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    today was a great day! good weather, perfect really, ridin with another inmate, missed a turn but found a new road and small store. ended up back on track and finished out the Cabell County (i think) markers list with WVdyhrd's pic! :clap
  7. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    WVdyhrd and Stotts,

Thanks for the new markers! Mud River Covered Bridge, Spring Hill Cemetery, and Woody Williams Bridge are 3 of the remaining ones. I will try to update the spreadsheet tonight. Our computer crashed this weekend and I'm just getting everything re-installed. Thank God I back things up regularly!! Only a few recent emails went up in smoke.

The Elk River Coal /#10 Steam Locomotive was documented earlier (post #959) by your's truly. However, I never found the B&O Railroad at Heritage Village Marker. Joe Geiger lives in Huntington and told me it was really close to the #10 Locomotive marker, just back in behind a couple buildings where it's hard to spot.

My wife and I were at the Cabell County Fair last month and saw the Mud River Covered Bridge marker, but I was in the minivan. :cry We might have to go back for the Pumpkin Festival, though.
  8. stotts

stotts back up in there

Oddometer:
    Why...... what ever do you mean:evil
  9. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    I perked up when I saw this one mainly due to the mention of Widen. This little Clay County community is almost one of those you can't get there from here kinda places. Once a propersous coal town, it's demise began when the great coal wars got really nasty back in the 40's and early 50's.

My dad's first teaching job was in the coal company school at Widen in 1932. He left after a year.

They have reunion each year and my dad went for a number of years. It used to be a really big 2-3 day deal with blue grass bands, dancing and the like, but is a little more subdued now. I went to one in 2004 just to see the place 'cause it's always piqued my interest for some reason. My dad, an avid photographer, never took a picture as best my sister and I can tell.

Shots of my visit can be seen at:

https://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Widen-WV-Homecoming-2004/6830476_Di2Ju
  10. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    OOPS! I went back and looked at your post #1263 again - How did I miss that one?? Probably the same way I missed the marker the first time. Duhhh..

Wait a minute...... did you just pull a fast edit on me? :lol3
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
  11. stotts

stotts back up in there

Oddometer:
    Ha, i was wondering if you were going to call me out!
    yes i changed it, i rode to the first sign and jumped off the bike, i was on to the next one without looking, bring it on :bash i deserve it.
  12. Stedlo

Stedlo Out and About

Oddometer:
    The "second" Pringle Tree marker, located in Pringle Tree Park, out Pringle Tree Road off of Route 20, just north of Buckhannon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Located in Pendleton County. This is the current WV Tag-O-Rama, so I will wait until it is "tagged" to give detailed directions. I like to make it a little bit of a challenge. :evil

EDIT: Stedlo found it, so here are the directions: From Riverton, take CR 9 (Germany Valley Road) east about 1/2 mile. You will first go over a small bridge, then pass a small memorial to the Battle of Riverton. After passing one more small road on the right, you will come to CR9-4 "Horse-Ridge Road". Turn right, and the narrow road quickly climbs to the top of the ridge. Follow this road about a mile, and the road forks - turn left and follow the "Dead End" section out a little over a mile. You're there!

I could not find out much on John Dolly (Dahle) except that he was one of the early settlers in this part of the state, and the nearby Dolly Sods was named after him.

About the Hessians (excerpt from Wikipedia): The Hessian soldiers were eighteenth-century German regiments hired through their rulers by the British Empire. Though used in several conflicts, they are most widely associated with combat operations in the American Revolutionary War.

After the war ended in 1783, some 17,313 Hessian soldiers returned to their homelands. Of the 12,526 who did not return, about 7,700 had died. Some 1,200 were killed in action and 6,354 died from illness or accidents, mostly the former. The high rate of fatalities from disease during wartime was a recurring element up until improvements in sanitation and understanding of germ theory in the late 19th century. Approximately 5,000 Hessians settled in North America, both in the United States and Canada. In some cases, their commanders refused to take them back to Germany because they were criminals or physically unfit. Most of the men married and settled amongst the population of the newly formed United States. Many became farmers or craftsmen and were able to take advantage of opportunities in the new country. The number of their direct descendants living in the U.S. and Canada today is a subject of debate.

[​IMG]
    Historical Marker - Side #1

[​IMG]
    Historical Marker - Side #2

[​IMG]
    View north-east bound

[​IMG]
    View south-west bound

[​IMG]
    I spotted the cemetery up on the hill above the marker about 200 yards under a group of trees. Time for a hike! :clap

[​IMG]
    View of the cemetery. John Dolly's grave is just on this side of the first tree on the left. His wife's grave is on the other side of the tree. (See below)

[​IMG]
    Mary's grave (wife) is to the left of the tree - John's grave is to the right.

[​IMG]
    John's gravestone.

[​IMG]
    Mary's gravestone. Ten kids!!!

[​IMG]
    View down the hill from cemetery. The marker and my bike are barely visible to the left of the center tree, along the white fence.

[​IMG]
    John Dolly's view of the countryside (gravestone is visible in lower RH corner of photo)

[​IMG]
    On the way back out to the highway, this spectacular view makes you want to stop and soak it all in before heading down off of the ridge.

Like I said earlier, I will post more detailed directions/location when the WV Tag is claimed.
  14. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    rats! i was in that area friday/saturday on a road trip from nyc (trip report to come). i was accommodated in the nearby 'general store' that has a view of a very cool geological formation. i saw the sign for Dolly Sods but had no idea what it was (i assumed another touristy trap thingy).

i rode wv from the wheeling area to the new river gorge bridge - across the state west to lesage for a hotdog, and back up the ohio river (mostly) to wheeling. i then did it again but this time more-or-less diagonally to the nearby location of this tag. i'm sure i missed a whole lot more that is wild and wonderful in wv!

i really enjoyed your state and hope to spend more time there; it was wide open and traffic was non-existent. the roads are often pleasantly twisty and fun.

back to your regularly scheduled tag hunt!
  15. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Glad you had a nice visit to WV. You were within about 15 miles of the tag. Gee, what would we have done if you moved the tag up to NYC? :eek1 Queens? Harlem? Lon-gisland? (isn't that how they pronounce it?) Road trip!! :lol3

PM me if you are ever coming back through. I enjoy playing tour guide.
  16. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Marker Spreadsheet is updated to 15 Sept 2010 - Post #1273

Available Markers Remaining:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 486pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=646><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 68pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3291" width=90><COL style="WIDTH: 230pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 11190" width=306><COL style="WIDTH: 188pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 9142" width=250><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 68pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17 width=90>Fayette</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 230pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" width=306>Vandalia Cemetery</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 188pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" width=250>High St, Fayetteville</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Greenbrier</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63>Berea Sand (R)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Rt 60 near Caldwell</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Hampshire</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Hampshire Co / Mineral Co</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Rt 28</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Jackson</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63>Kenna (R)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Rt 34 - Just south of I-77</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Jackson</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63>Washington's Lands (R)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Rt 2 - Ravenswood, 1mi S. of Rt 33/68</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Kanawha</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63>Washington's Land</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">10th St, Dunbar, S. of Rt 25</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63 height=17>Kanawha</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63>Bangor Cemetery</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63>Location? (** See Note Below)</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Marshall</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Washington's Land #1</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Rt 2, S. of Moundsville, N-bound side road</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Marshall</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63>Benwood Mine Disaster (R)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">South Marshall St, Benwood</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Mason</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63>Gen John McCausland (R)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Rt 2, below Henderson Cemetery</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>McDowell</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Welch</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Rt 52 Overlook, 1mi E. of Rt 103 (Hard2C)</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Mineral</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Mineral Co / Hampshire Co</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Rt 28</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Mingo</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63>Thomas Smith (R)</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Rt 52, CR 13, West of Gilbert</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Mingo</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">WV (Mingo Co) / Kentucky</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Old Rt 119, Downtown Williamson</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Morgan</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Berkeley Springs Sanitarium</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Berkeley Springs State Park - In Museum</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Morgan</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Prospect Peak</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Rt 9, 3mi West of Berkeley Springs</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Preston</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63>Mason-Dixon Line </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Rt 26, 11mi north of I-68 Exit 23</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Preston</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Preston Co / Maryland</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Rt 219</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Randolph</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63>Big Lime</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63>Rt 15; Between Valley Head-Webster Co</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" height=17>Wayne</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">Revolutionary War Soldier's Grave</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl63>
    Jennies Creek Bridge, near Crum

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

(R) Indicates recently repainted/refurbished/replaced markers

** Bangor Cemetery - I found a website with directions - not sure where the marker is or if this is actually the same cemetery - looks like lots of old stones, so maybe: St. Albans, Kanawha County, West Virginia N 38° 22.604' W 081° 48.418'

<CENTER><CENTER><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=0 width=700><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Directions:

</TD><TD>SE corner of S. Walnut Street and Kanawha Terrace.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></CENTER>
    Only 20 Left! :eek1

I may have to put on my detective hat/helmet and go looking for some of the 300+ missing ones now.
  17. WVdyhrd

WVdyhrd mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer:
    hey stotts I see one for us,,,,,am i sensing a two bike grab again? :D
  18. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI----

The jackson county "washingtons land" Is there, I went past it in a cage one day. The Randolph county "Big LIme" on rt15 is there as well, again I was in a cage.

I cannot find that Gen McCausland Mason county marker to save my life. Or the Damn marker in Dunbar.
  19. stotts

stotts back up in there

Oddometer:
    lets try to work it out!:freaky
  20. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    I was like a kid in a candy store!!! :eek1 Last week, I called over to the DOH Sign Shop in Burlington (on Rt 50 just west of Romney) and spoke to the Supervisor, the "Sign Man" himself, Doug Placka. He was very helpful and seemed interested in helping us with our project. Their shop is responsible for all signs (including the Historical Markers) for 7 counties from Grant County all the way east to Jefferson County. This guy knows his markers, so when he told me there were several old markers (on their way out) and several new markers (new and just-refurbished), I knew I had to ride over there Tuesday and see for myself. It was well worth the trip! Doug took his time and patiently helped me document the 20+ markers there as well as answering my endless questions about missing ones in all 7 counties. Total time spent - 2-1/2 hours! THANK YOU, DOUG!!

First, let's look at the old markers laying outside in the "graveyard". Most of these were beyond repair and will be melted down into Harley-Davidson accessories :D . Many of these were on our "Missing" list, so this is the only chance to photograph them until/unless a replacement is procured.

Here we go..........

[​IMG]
    View of the old markers.

[​IMG]
    Closer view of the old ones.

[​IMG]
    Mr. Doug Placka and some of the old markers. He was kind enough to unstack them and line them up along the fence so I could get good photos! Thanks!

[​IMG]
    Oriskany-Helderberg : Mineral County / Rt 46. Listed as Missing. Broken mounting base. No replacement scheduled yet.

[​IMG]
    Jefferson CO / Berkeley Co Line - Rt 45 or Rt 9??? Both are listed as Missing. (This is Jefferson Co side of Marker) Broken mounting base and severe weathering. No replacement scheduled yet. This one is certainly one of the "worst condition" markers I've seen in the entire state. Looks like it's led a long, rough life through some tough winters.

[​IMG]
    Jefferson Co / Berkeley Co Line - Same Marker - Side #2 (Berkeley Co) Listed as Missing.

[​IMG]
    Old Pack Horse Ford : Jefferson Co. Vatrader01 took a photo of this actual marker while it was still on the pole - see Post #112. I don't see any notes about a replacement, so I'm assuming there is no marker on the pole now. I don't know if this one is repairable.

[​IMG]
    Old Tuscarora Church: Berkeley Co. Listed as Missing. Broken mounting base. This one is scheduled for future replacement/repair.

[​IMG]
    Fairfax Line: Grant County. Mounting base and bottom section broken off. This one has special memories for me, as I remember seeing it coming south out of Petersburg on the way back to the farm when I was a kid riding in my Grandfather's pickup. :cry No replacement scheduled for this one.

[​IMG]
    Oriskany Sand. There are several of these in different counties that are missing, so I don't know where this one is from. Broken mounting base and bottom section. There is a new one in their shop waiting to be installed - wherever.

[​IMG]
    Lost and Found : Hardy County. Listed as Missing. No replacement scheduled. Mounting base and bottom section broken off.

[​IMG]
    Jackson Home / Howard's Lick : Hardy County. Listed as Missing. Big crack under the word "Buckhannon" just above the lower seam. Repairable??? Side #1 of marker.

[​IMG]
    Jackson Home / Howard's Lick - same marker, Side #2. Crack is very visible on this photo under "Gen. Robert E. Lee".

[​IMG]
    Keyes Gap : Jefferson County. Vatrader01 got photos of this actual marker while it was still on the pole - see Post #86. Even the 2 bullet holes match. (Bottom right, and top right under the word "Historic") Top seal, bottom mount and bottom section broken off. No replacement scheduled yet.

[​IMG]
    Tuscarora Clinton Sand : Grant County. Listed as Missing. Bottom mount and bottom section broken off. No replacement scheduled yet.

[​IMG]
    Grant Co / Hardy Co Line on Rt 220 east of Petersburg. Side #1. Vatrader took a photo of the empty pole earlier this year (Edit: Post #1082 / Page 73). The missing section is still on the pole along Rt 220. Listed as Missing. Mounting base and bottom section broken off. No replacement scheduled yet.

[​IMG]
    Grand Co / Hardy Co Line (Rt 220) - Side #2.

[​IMG]
    Prospect Peak : Morgan County. Listed as Missing. This one may be repairable, and was on a separate stack.

[​IMG]
    Lover's Leap : Morgan County. Listed as Missing. Mounting base and bottom section broken off, plus severe erosion on bottom RH corner. Not scheduled for replacement yet.

I'm out of time, so I will add the NEW Markers on the next posting - hopefully in the next day or two. I will also be updating the spreadsheet to show the markers that are ready to be replaced.