moto-mule a cargo trailer to pull behind your dual sport motorcycle

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by MrBracket, Nov 16, 2011.

1. TrainedChimp

TrainedChimp Consistently wrong

Oddometer:

You're in the same boat as me, no pun intended. I'm desperately tying to find a way to haul a kayak, at least a play boat, behind one of my bikes. I'd be happy to have something just to get the play boat across town at lower than highway speeds since we are getting a white water park this year.
  2. weird1

weird1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Soon there will be pics of a moto mule behind my XRL :clap. I hope to have a kayak no it in June.
  3. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:

I turned my kayak into it's own trailer to tow behind my bicycle by just strapping some rollerblade wheels to it. Lets me get across town on the bike path to get to the play park in Boulder. It's worked well for years, but don't trust it behind the MC at all at highway speeds.

Hope it works. Post pics and review quickly since the sooner someone proves the concept, the sooner MrBracket gets more orders.
  4. weird1

weird1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It looks like I will be getting the trailer for the XRL at the end of the month :clap I am so excited.
  5. MrBracket

MrBracket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back up and running!!!! :clap Got the new moto-mule "world headquarters" set up and quite happy with it!

I've changed the pricing and basic trailer package some, I raised the price but made the fender and a DOT tire standard equipment. The rims will now be black as well, a little more neutral color for everyone. I've also added some braces in the hitch to stiffen that area up a bit.

Looking foward to a great riding season!!! :freaky
  6. Cabrito

Cabrito I come in peace Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want one of these so bad..

I'm on a KLR650. I like the custom mounts for the KLR but I'm concerned that the adjuster bolts might not be strong enough for pulling a trailer. Have you had any feedback on this?

Any pictures of the Black wheel?
  7. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    We want pics of the revisions,,,,,please. :deal
  8. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    I'm sure we could figure out the exact tensile strength of the adjuster bolts, if we knew more info about them, and we'd be blown away by some huge number of pounds they can handle. For me, it was enough to see that they can handle the huge forces the engine puts on them through the chain and sprockets (gear reduced no less!) The chain adjuster blocks don't add any shear forces on the adjuster bolts as they are machined to fit inside the swingarm. The weight of the trailer is minute compared to what those bolts put up with from the engine. I am confident they can handle the load of the trailer.
  9. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    I will post pics when I get the newer ones done. I'm still working on the last two orders I have to finish up with the red wheels. The black rims should be in this next week.
  10. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap
  11. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually have one of your first trailers, for my KLR. But your logic above is seriously Flawed. There is very little if any stress put on these adjuster bolts by the chain, sprockets or engine. All these nuts do is adjust the axle front to back. Once you tighten the axle bolts you could remove these adjuster bolts completely and continue to ride with no problems. Prior to putting on "locking nuts" I actually lost one completely along with the plate somewhere on a 250+ mile dirt/mud road day.
  12. weird1

weird1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So Friday I will be picking up my moto-mule!!!!!:clap
  13. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    Hi Wlfman,
    I don't own a KLR myself, perhaps there is enough friction between the axle and swingarm to prevent the wheel from sliding forward without over tightening the axle?? As for using locking nuts, this seems very unneccessary as there are already two nuts on that bolt. You just tighten the two against each other and have a very effective lock nut. Sorry yours came loose, I hope your solution of locking nuts works better for you. Keep me posted. Also, do you have any pictures to share of you using your trailer??
    Thanks,
    Mike
  14. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is actually a VERY COMMON KLR upgrade/Mod.

I havent really used the trailer yet other than a short test when i first got it. I'm hoping to put it to some use this year
  15. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    Cool. Also, you were correct about my logic being wrong with the chain adjusters seeing the force of the chain. A properly adjusted axle nut should prevent the axle from moving without the chain adjusters in place.
    Mike
  16. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    I got a few pictures and some info from Troy, he pulls his trailer with a Suzuki DL 1000 aka V-Strom motorcycle. I hope he writes a ride report about his trip as it appears he had a great time! He lives in Iowa and rode down the east coast to Florida and back with his son. An 11 day adventure I'm sure his son will remember for the rest of his life!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. weird1

weird1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up my Moto-Mule on Friday, and its awesome. Mike is an awesome guy, and the trailer looks great behind the XRL. I will get some pics up soon. Thanks again Mike, I look forward to some of the accessories you have coming.
  18. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to actually using my Moto-Mule. Got it back in Nov. Loaded it up Sat morning and headed to the mountains for a night of camping and some exploring FS roads. Did a little over 400 miles, of which about 100 were on FS roads. Trailer did well. On the highway the only time I noticed it was with heavy crosswinds. I even hit some of the nice twisty roads and it did great. On gravel, you can tell its there in the curves, but its not bad. Went thru one water crossing about a foot deep and NUMEROUS mud holes. Everything stayed dry, but I did apply Silicone beads around the mount points on the outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. weird1

weird1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture of the moto-mule on an XR650L, I have about 100 miles on it probably over loaded, and I love it. It pulls great and looks great. I will tell you it draws a lot of attention, I have had people follow me just to take pictures, and ask questions. this thing is Awesome. Get one. Thanks Mike.

[​IMG]
  20. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    From post #149 "Thanks for the updates on those using the trailer so far and your dealings with law enforcement. Glad to hear that the police are not bothering you so far..."

Finally had a chance to chase down a local officer (1st time I've done that :lol3) & ask him to look at the trailer. In MA there's no need to register or put lights on it.

Still thinking about a little bicycle light to deter cagers from bumping into it. I've heard senior cagers drive by touch until the obvious happens :eek1 So far, just have http://www.hyperlites.com/stdbo.html on the bike's fender.