Nolan n104 on the way

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by David Shapiro, Mar 1, 2012.

1. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:

I had this issue with my N103.. I just lived with it.. hope the 104 doesnt start doing it.
  2. Hayden

Hayden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the same issue with the trim popping out. It happens when I grab the straps and pull them apart to put the helmet on or off. If I'm real careful, it doesn't pop out, but this is an obvious design flaw. Nolan has got to be dealing with situation at some level, but since it's an Italian company, not sure if or how they can fix the units already made. Maybe Cima can help.
  3. I-Su.Yu

I-Su.Yu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to believe Nolan will address this issue.
    Any recent n104 buyers care to comment on whether they're also having this problem?
    Thanks.
  4. Twinz

Twinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just returned home from a 2 week trip with my Nolan N104. My helmet was great EXCEPT that the left side neck roll did not seal well enough to keep out a lot of wind noise. The right side was fine. I could put two fingers on my neck like I was taking my pulse then follow my jaw line up under the neck roll, and the noise would disappear. I even cut a small piece of foam to stuff up there. That worked fine until I lost the foam. Now that I have returned home, I sent the helmet to CIMA under a RA for them to check it out. A little fatter neck roll would take care of the problem, but I have little hope that will happen. I read on a different post about a guy who used memory foam to quiet the noise in his helmet. I'll probably try that myself. CIMA said this was the first complaint they have had about noise.

Otherwise, I love the helmet...very comfortable, excellent rain seal (no rain dripping down the inside of the visor)...and I got semi-used to the visor being able to be cracked open.
  5. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Are you wearing any kind of ear protection?
  6. Twinz

Twinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Custom molded earplugs...always!
  7. JakeS

JakeS Yup

Oddometer:
    Hows the fit on these helmets.. Ive been considering one for a few months now.
    I fit and arai profile now and was wondering if the nolan had a similar fit for the long narrow head shape..
    Thanks for any input
    Jake
  8. Twinz

Twinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, on the fit like an Arai...very comfortable.
  9. JakeS

JakeS Yup

Oddometer:
    perfect.
    Has anyone played with there new intercom system for the 104?
    I was hoping to be able to connect my droid for navi and music on those long highway runs..
  10. MsSuzieQ

MsSuzieQ Adventure sister

Oddometer:
    For those of you that are having issues with ANY Nolan helmet.. Check out the nearest bike show and take it directly to the Nolan Booth.. here in the states, Harry will be happy to assist you in fixing any issues you might have.. I do not know the Canadian rep but I am sure he will assist you as well.. That or take them into your local bike shops that can order Nolans.. they will be happy to contact Nolan for you...
  11. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I took mine out for its first extended ride this weekend.. I know that the L is the largest of the sizes before you get the larger shell size in the XL and up.. and I have read reviews where they mention that the L is especially tight in the cheeks.. and dam if they weren’t right. I had to lift the chin bar up after about an hour of riding and get some relief.. when closed the chin bar pulls the cheek pads in so tightly I was ready to give up national security secrets in order to get out of the torture mechanism. Now I know that eventually they will loosen up and all will be OK.. but right now my cheeks and this helmet are in a battle over which one will concede first. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  12. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:

I have 104 XXL at first noticed the tight cheeks.................after break in no longer a concern..............wild ass guess, tighter cheeks is design choice/change to block air/noise to make 104 more quiet than 103
  13. Josh69

Josh69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been using my new N104 for two days now.

It's a lot better than the N103.

But WARNING, WARNING, WARNING

Be careful opening up the flip up on the move. I did it today going along a local street at 30mph..... and it got stuck half way, obstructing all of my forward vision.

It didn't really get stuck, there seemed to be a halfway open notch which requires an increase in force to push it past. This is in contrast to the N103 where once you unlatch the flip, it is a smooth operation to fully open. But it was a few seconds of serious brown pants moment.
  14. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I think you will find that this is because you had your shield in the up position. Unlike the 103 the 104 needs to have the shield down before you raise the chin bar, or like you said it will get stuck half way up and require more force to get it fully open. I just lower the shield first now.. it took only 1 attempt the old way to change my habits :D
  15. anothergxg

anothergxg n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I have the N104 for almost 1 month now. Before it I had an open-face Nitro, so I don't it's right to make a comparison between the 2. I am very pleased with it, except for 1 little annoying thig: the VPS System (the "sun glasses").
    It worked fine, but for about 2 weeks now it stopped retracting when the helmet is closed (not flipped up).
    This happens randomly (sometimes it works fine) and only happens when I have the helmet on. Obviously, it always happens when I drive from sun to shadow.

If I try to use the system without the helmet I don't have any issues.

Anyone else faced the same problem?
  16. anothergxg

anothergxg n00b

Oddometer:
    I think I fixed it. I removed the interior, trying to fit a Parrot SK4000, and after I assembled it back the VPS seems to work fine.

In case anyone wants to try to mount an aftermarket Bluetooth Handsfree kit to the N104, Parrot SK4000 is not a good idea.
  17. rhafe123

rhafe123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a long oval head and the Nolan XXL I just got is quite tight front to back compared to my AFX . I'll probably send it back.
  18. Nwrider206

Nwrider206 2012 Triumph Bonnie

Oddometer:
    I have also had this helmet for about a month. Overall I really like it. Fits my head better them most others. The only one that felt better was the Shoei Neotec. But it didnt feel $200 better.
    As many have said, the cheek pads are a little tight. I am on an XL. But they are slowly getting better.
    I often lift the chin bar with the visor up. I just can never remember to lower it first. There is a hesitation as it engages the visor. Hopefully I am not destroying my helmet. But I always seem to be using enough force to just get right thru it without problems. But after reading Josh69's comment, I might be more careful.
    Though I really like the Microlock mechanism over the D-Ring standard, so much faster and easier, it isnt as comfortable. I have this hard plastic piece that is rubbing against my throat and adams apple. I have been meaning to extend the fleece liner and make something up to better cover it. That would really help. If I do not over tighten it that often helps, I just have to keep it very loose.
    My other minor complaint is I wish the sun visor extended a little lower. I always need to rotate the helmet forward a little more then usual. And even then it is at an awkward spot in my vision. I am slowly getting used to it. I borrowed a Scorpion helmet awhile back, and although the fit wasnt as good, the sun visor extended further.
    I fitted a Sena SMH10 to the helmet. That required use of a Dremel. But I think it came out awesome and fits well (now). Wish they would have allowed aftermarket units natively.
    Ventilation is excellent and pin lock visor works just as intended. Havent had it come close to fogging up.
    So overall I really like this helmet. Fits my head well and has lots of features.
  19. JakeS

JakeS Yup

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up (no pun intended)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  20. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the words of wisdom on this thread. I need a new helmet and was leaning towards a Nolan N104 as the best value, most bang for the buck. This all has helped convince me. Now because of fiscal problems I will wait two or three days before I can convince myself that it still has to be done. My old Shuberth was one of the first sold. I think I've had it over ten years.