The Dealership Got Me Arrested....

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Rev, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Rev

Rev Asshole

Oddometer:
    Yup. spent a good while with Charleston's finest because the fucking dealership was too damn lazy to give me a new tag.

Heres the short: As a lot of you know I recently bought a KLR to go offroading. I never noticed it, but the tag that was put on had a hand written date. No big deal, for the most part they all do. But the jackasses chose to, instead of giving me a new plastic plate, to WRITE OVER THE OLD DATE. That's considered tampering, and illegal. Not to mention the date wasn't the correct "30 days from purchase" date (illegal) and didn't match the sale date on the registration.

ALSO, the morons at the dealership chose to leave the old temp tag on (the one that was on during test rides) so I had a second tag (illegal) with the wrong date (also illegal). The officer was kind enough to take that one to be disposed of at a later date...

So you can bet your ass that I'll be beating down their door as soon as they open today. Me and the manager there WILL HAVE WORDS!!!

OH, and I just realized that the cop listed my bike as an '03, but its an '08....
  2. TinkerinWstuff

TinkerinWstuff Take it apart

Oddometer:
    arrested?

As given a ride to the department in cuffs?
  3. Rev

Rev Asshole

Oddometer:
    thankfully i pulled enough stuff out of my ass to not go the entire trip, but i did spend 2 hours in the back of the squad car cuffed and my bike was on a flat bed about to be hauled off.
  4. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    That really sucks! Hope you get it all worked out.
  5. TinkerinWstuff

TinkerinWstuff Take it apart

Oddometer:
    sounds close enough that I can certainly understand a person being a little less than pleased

I wonder who gets to pay for the dispatch and loading on a flatbed? I can't imagine those guys do that for free?
  6. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    you have GOT to be kidding.... :huh ...or you really pissed them off.

and i fucking (edit:) DISLIKE THE POLICE. :norton
  7. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    wow, around these parts they would just give you a ticket and then you could figure it out in court, they only way i could imagine getting thrown in the back of the car is if you tried to take a swing or were just baligerant.
  8. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Maybe he has a bunch of priors :D Same would happen here, ticket to appear in court.
  9. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    For what?
    Doing their job?
    The cop could have confiscated the bike and wrote him a crap load of tickets.
    Rev was riding an unregistered vehicle with a forged temp plate and a dealer plate.
    A forgery in PA is a felony and could have put him in County jail pending bail/court.
  10. Woundflatout

Woundflatout Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like something Champion on Dorchester would do...but I know they don't sell Kawi. What other dealership in the area is this inept?
  11. Davidc83

Davidc83 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally, I dont know who is the bigger moron; the dealership or the person who bought the bike and didnt check all the paperwork and plates to make sure everything matched; who really does that, spends $$$$ for a bike and doesnt check the paperwork-really, really, just unbelievable.
    The dealership didnt get you arrested; you got yourself arrested for not checking YOUR paperwork. Takes what, a minute or 2 at the most to look at the plates, make sure they are legal (your responsibility) and make sure the paperwork is correct.

Police just doing their job; how would they know all the screwed up plates were an accident and not somebody actually stealing the bike=they dont have a crystal ball and are not mind readers.
  12. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    a police man "doing his job" would be Chicken McShit in my book.... what the fuck happened to this country where a clerical error ends in handcuffs? Did our collective ass get that tight, or do we just need the revenue?
  13. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    How the hell is a cop supposed to know it was a clerical error???
    BTW. It was NOT a clerical error!!!
    Someone at the dealership PURPOSELY did it.
    That makes it a criminal act!
    But even if it was a clerical error, the cop does not know and still has to investigate.
    Rev was riding an unregistered motorcycle. Maybe not purposely, but still illegal.
    The cop has a duty to investigate.
    Is he supposed to ignore it and let an unregistered, possibly uninsured bike ride around til he crashes and flees?
    Leaving the victim to fend for themselves and the bills that follow?
    Rev was given a break by the cop.
    The bike could have been confiscated and him carted off to jail.
    Jeesh
  14. Rev

Rev Asshole

Oddometer:
    the reason i didnt check the plate was because when i pay $$$$ i expect they person receiving the money to do their job, and NOT overwrite an older plate to get by. that was the initial (and final) issue. the bike is registered, to me.

this isnt a cop issue. he did his job, and i dont blame him. the plate wasnt "forged" as you say, it was a simple moment of laziness for not giving me a fresh one. here in SC we just get pieces of plastic with sharpied dates.

and im sure one of the reasons it went as far as it did was that i am a 6ft tall, tattooed biker wearing a club shirt (not one of the big 3...) with priors (none in the past 7 years) that used to fight professionally and that shows up on my record.

the cop did work with me as much as possible, and things got worked out. i am not upset by what CPD did in the least.

the dealership is looking into getting it taken care of so i dont have to go to court, but at this point i will in about a month and a half to try to get the judge drop it.

im not the biggest fan of some cops attitudes, but this isnt that thread, so shut up and take it to the basement. like i said, the cop did what he had to per his job and i did everything i could to help him figure out this shit.
  15. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    :huh Wow!

I assume the PD has not dropped this and is investigating and questioning the dealer, right?

...and that dealer needs to do what it takes to make you a happy camper, maybe hand deliver bacon sammiches and beer on demand. :lol3
  16. Rev

Rev Asshole

Oddometer:
    haha, i dont think there will be an investigation. for all the cop knows, im the one who tampered with and altered the plate. the shop i got it from is looking into getting it worked out before court, but from all i know itll have to go anyway.
  17. FlySniper

FlySniper Bleh...

Oddometer:

:csm
  18. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    that really sucks!! I hope you work it out, no more buying from these people, who know what the hell they sell !! law suit for pain and suffering or emotional distress, you are in the country for that!

Damasovi
  19. avgas

avgas amateur

Oddometer:
    And I thought my dealer was bad for writing the wrong date and then writing the correct one over it.
  20. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Rev
    You have a great attitude and seem quite mature about the whole situation.
    I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope the dealer makes things right for you.
    Best of luck for a quick resolution to this whole mess.