Help! Heated Grip interferes with throttle action

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Moss, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Moss

Moss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone help or has anyone had a similar problem with the following:-
    When I put my heated grips on (on my 2007 GS), after about 15 mins my throttle sticks and it won't spring back, can be quite dangerous if you miss your breaking point, especially the first time it happened.

I have two options; take it into the dealer and get hammered with a bill. Or have a look at it myself and try not to mess-up anything. But before I do, I thought that I would ask for some help from some you knowledgeable nice gentlemen.

Thanks very much in advance.
  2. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have any type of grip covers installed, i.e. Grip Puppy's or some other?. I had the same problem you did caused by grip covers I installed on my 12GS. The rubber covers I installed over the stock grips squeezed the grips and pushed out the ends a bit. Everything was fine without heated grips on, but after running them hot a while, it would soften the rubber and then the end of the throttle grip would rub the right hand bar end weight causing sticking. I had to add a thin washer to the screw that holds the bar end on, and that pushed out the bar end weight just a small amount and now no more rubbing.
  3. JoshBMW

JoshBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need to move the entire grip assy back (to the center line of the bike).

The grips expand slightly when heated and are rubbing, let me guess, on your throttle lock?

Loosen the grip assy, and move it back on the bar 1/16 or less of an inch. That will give the grip room to expands when hot and not rub.
  4. Moss

Moss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No I don't have any kind of grip covers installed, everything on the bar is standard.

JoshBMW has suggested something that I might try.

Thank you both for the response.
  5. Moss

Moss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what you mean by throttle lock? Everything on the bars is standard, as per factory.
    Never-the-less your suggestion sounds logical and I shall give it a go.
    Many thanks.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :nod

Throttle lock or not, same thing.

Jim :brow
  7. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Moss,

JoshBMW gave you the correct answer.

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Moss

Moss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the feed-back, much appreciated.
  9. Pickup man

Pickup man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone clarify what Joshbmw solution is. Riding with a friend with new to him 2006 1200 gs with heated grips on and throttle stuck. Heated grips off and it was fine.
    Thanks in advance.
  10. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    The grips expand as they get hot... they get longer. That expansion causes the grip to stick as the ends rub. You need to give the grip more room. Moving the assembly that holds the grip, the brake lever, the mirror, etc., in toward the center of the bike will give the grip room to expand.

This is usually exacerbated by the addition of a throttle lock at the outer end of the grip. As Moss found out it can happen to a stock grip, too.