Florida Sand Fleas

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Philip Kuntz, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider

Oddometer:
    Is that your buddy Earl who got a KLX, what tire is he running?

Sounds like you guys had fun, I had an interesting day as well. Went out by myself just to do some exploring, and found some locals that gave me directions to a mostly dried up lake people are riding at. There were some youngsters out there with 4wd trucks and this one managed to get stuck, I watched and took some pics as they pulled him out. This is what is left of Christmas Lake. :deal
    [​IMG]
    All these Cypress trees wont last long if we dont get some more rain.
    [​IMG]
    I decided to leave here and look for some more stuff, but took a wrong turn on the way out. I ended up very close to some folks in their back yard and they were giving me the kill the engine sign. I figured they were pissed at me, so I got the hell out of there and wiped out around the next corner. :lol3

I got out of there and found the right trail, then coming out of the exit onto the dirt road I saw two police cars. I was going to cruise right past them, but a cop came running out of the woods motioning for me to stop. I stopped for him and he wanted my license. I gave it to him along with my CWP and informed him that I was carrying. He asked me to put my hands on my head and took my waist pack off of me. He looked though the compartments and retrieved my gun, then handed it back to me to hold onto since he saw cash inside. Then he asked if he could hold onto the gun for the time being. I said OK (like I had a choice) and he took off on foot into the woods. Now I was stuck there, the people who were waving at me earlier approached on foot asking me what the cops wanted, so we got to talking. Turns out one of them rides a dirtbike and was looking for someone to ride with. He is a middle-aged guy too, and owns a WR426. Maybe I have a new riding buddy. :deal

When the cops came back it took them quite some time to write tickets to the guys who were mud-bogging in their trucks, then they called me over. I was asked if I had been riding in the mud, and I told them no, just look at my bike. Then he gave me some crap about carrying a weapon on state property and asked me if I knew the law and if it was legal. I told him I wasnt sure about that, but do know its legal in National Forests. And that I had no idea I was on state property. One of the residents asked him where the state property begins, and the cop admitted that he didnt know either. He gave me back my weapon and told me that its illegal to ride dirtbikes on the dirt roads. I told him it was a street legal motorcycle and he says "oh, I didnt notice the tag."

This was the short version, I had a long talk with the police officers at the scene. The young cop told me I can come back there and ride the trails and the sandy beach areas, just stay out of the mud and check up on the laws about carrying a gun there. His superior officer suggested that I should not return on the motorcycle. They have been getting called out there alot and are tired of giving warnings to people.

It turns out the people that were signaling me to kill the engine were trying to help me avoid the cops and some folks on the other side of the lake have been calling them (I got that from the residents), things are not always what they seem. :D
  2. sinner

sinner Flea or not to Flea?

Oddometer:
    lol 'All these Cypress trees wont last long if we dont get some more rain. ' Dude those Cypress trees have been there you over a 1.000 years, so i dont think the lack of rain over the last three years is going to matter. :evil
  3. Philip Kuntz

Oddometer:
    This whole area was nothing but Cypress swamp 30 yrs ago, now there are very few. Granted alot of them were removed by man. But notice how there is just a thin line of them left where the lake shore used to be. Its not the lack of rain really, the water is being used up by man and all the lakes are steadily drying up. My Father grew up right here, and he can tell you what this area was like in the 60's. Big changes have come very recently to most of FL. What used to be all Swamp here is mostly planted pine now. The pines would surely parish if the water ever came back up, but thats not going to happen. :deal

I went for a ride again today, made it out West past the Swanee river today, 90% dirt and graded roads. I found a few trails along the way, but the riding pretty much sucks around there. The most excitement I had was being chased by pit bulls, twice.
    [​IMG]
    I changed the oil when I got home and found this. Those radial cracks are very noticable when I run my fingers over them too. Edit, I went and looked at the bike again, and it looks to me the right engine cover is what is actually cracking. I wonder why? Oh well, I am just going to keep riding it for now. It runs fine.:D
  4. dumpsterdiverdave

dumpsterdiverdave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think mine looks like that too! Yes Earl has a new to him playtoy, he got it with about 600 miles on it, everything is stock, including the tires, which he claims are better than the XR's See ya soon, we will try and make the 1-6 ride. Is that the last day for hunters?
  5. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:

Normal for DRZs! :deal I read something in Thumpertalk that says these are found in every DRZ. No need to be alarmed. I found them on my DRZ too!
  6. Dr.Z

Oddometer:
    PK, I found this on Thumpertalk FAQs for DRZ400:

"I found "cracks" inside the oil filter cavity when I did my first oil change.. HELP>>>>>? :eek1

A: RELAX.... they are just casting marks... You will find them in the oil filter sump and just about any inside, non finished part of the case. They hurt nothing,,, and are just part of the casting process. :thumb Some times they will look like cracks, sometimes raised."
  7. Philip Kuntz

Oddometer:
    Well, that is good to hear, I guess. Any idea what causes that? My dad says it looks to be heat related, perhaps oil temps climbing too high?

Oh well, its good to know that I can keep riding it without worry. If a chunk of that case breaks off it could really fuck something up. :deal
  8. Dr.Z

Oddometer:
    Don't know what causes it but they are casting marks. Maybe they become more noticeable with several heat cycles? :dunno
  9. Philip Kuntz

Oddometer:
    They dont look like casting marks to me, they are cracks. Irregular as hell is what they are. :deal
  10. bronc3

bronc3 Lucky 13

Oddometer:

I've read about them before, seems like it's common and considered normal. Think it was on Thumpertalk.
  11. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    That's why I dumped the bike on you, man. :D J/K. They look exactly the same as the first time I changed the oil. No worries. Way to mix it up with the cops, BTW.

PS: Looks like Native might be joining us for a ride next weekend. Santa is brining him a late present, hear tell.
  12. Philip Kuntz

Oddometer:
    Cool, you are up for a Sat. ride as well, correct? I am coming into Ocala on Thurs. to teach and may just stay Fri. and all weekend. Two days riding is always better than one!

Hey Scribe, do you remember if you fused that 12v outlet on the DRZ? I want to hard wire my GPS and hook that outlet back up, but I wonder how many fuse holders I need.
  13. Horatio

Horatio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May I ask... to teach what?
    Riding skills? :D
  14. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    I think it was fused, but just follow the wires back to make sure. I hooked up that 12V outlet to use my gps because I got tired of the batteries shaking loose, but hell that was a long time ago and I can't be sure. I may have to do the family thing on Sat., but I'll let you know.

Happy new years to all fleas home and abroad!
  15. Horatio

Horatio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year back to you!
  16. Frankko

Frankko Midnight Rambler

Oddometer:
    I guess I am still a sand flea!! the abroad kind. A guy that's learning spanish calls me Perro :eek1 If only he knew:ear

Happy new year to all I have ridden with and the new members too:D .

Nutzky
  17. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Oh...He knows......HAPPY NEW YEAR
  18. flan8tive

flan8tive Flea Tibet!

Oddometer:
  19. flan8tive

flan8tive Flea Tibet!

Oddometer:
    Friday the 4th I am being told....:evil
  20. bronc3

bronc3 Lucky 13

Oddometer:
    Any Fleas running a Michelin Desert front? I tried one on the DRZ with very bad results.