Sacramento Riders Thread DS & ADV

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Parx400, Jan 16, 2012.

1. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm tempted, since those would fit on my KTM, but I really didn't like the stock Pirellis and don't intend to experience another set of them. I'm sure somebody will take you up on the offer.
  2. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Valve break off the stem or what?

:ear
  3. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
    No, yosemite was cool, only spent a few hours thete. Unfortunately I choose poorly and went the opposite way and didnt get to hslf dome area..still it was fun and I look forward to going the other way next time.

No I lost oil, dont know how but it ran dry. No sign of burning oil and no leaks. Anyway the exhsust cam seized first and the piston seized second. Exhsust cam cheese grated the cam race.
    other than that the bottom end looks and feels good. Im going to split the case tomorrow to double check everything. It will give me the chance to replace some bearings and check for wear, bike has 12500 miles. Big cost is builfing a new head, I may do BB, if I dont at minimum ill increase compression and put some e model cams in. BB is only worth about 4 hp, but it can be cheaper than oem...
  4. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Focal,

To bad it's not the XR. Parts are on hand. Anyway check with Engine Dynamics in Petaluma to see if he can save the head. 707-763-7519, Mike. Tell him I sent ya.
  5. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:

I appreciate it but its pretty much done...hey I think I may have thrown away that CDI, I cleaned out my tool box a week before I pmed you. But...it may be in a corner somewhere, Ill let you know if it turns up.

I dont know what it is, I seem to be the only persone who does regular maintenance and still manages to destroy the most reliable engines around.
  6. SierraJeep

SierraJeep It's toast

Oddometer:
    I am told that this Friday will be the last "Flashback Fridays" of the year at Pacos Tacos in Grass Valley.

Also, on Saturday, Sierra Motor Sports will be having their annual Fall Colors Dual Sport/Adventure Bike Ride. This is a free event (customer appreciation day) and after the ride they will have a lunch and raffle. I think riders can get their routes (downloaded to their GPS) and start to go around 9:00 AM. It's a relatively short ride (less than 100 miles) but is a nice event... and it's free.
  7. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    Excellent Tod, thanks for posting. See ya at the "last one".

The Fall Colors Dual Sport/Adventure Bike Ride sounds good too.
    But then I'll have to ride different bikes. Friday vintage, turn around and get out the appropriate bike for sat!
    Up and back, up and back...
    Oh well, better than doing a bunch of valley runs!:deal

For the GPS non users, challenged users, a brief discription of where the ride heads to would be good. Although I'd assume the std stuff from outta G/V.
  8. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    I have a GPX file, don't remember where I got it, that is the Fall Colors Ride from 2009. Is this the same route? It can be opened on Google Earth.
  9. SierraJeep

SierraJeep It's toast

Oddometer:
    All I know is what was on the flyer sent to my home email...

"Besides riding through our historic towns, you will also see parts of Cascades Shores, Quaker Hill, Alpha and Omega roads, the little town of Washington, the historic Malakoff Diggins, the Rock Creek area and much more."

It wouldn't take too much to figure out most of this route, but the idea is somewhat to have a good time with others and support the shop that supports so many of us up here in the Grass Valley/Nevada City area.

Oh, and it's free. :deal

10. Vinz Clortho

Vinz Clortho Keymaster of Gozer

Oddometer:
    FALL COLORS DUAL SPORT/ADVENTURE RIDE
    OCTOBER 20, 2012
    Where:
    Sierra Motor Sports
    2121 Nevada City Hwy
    Grass Valley, California 95945
    United States
    When:
    Saturday, October 20 - 9am-2pm
    Free ride! Free Lunch! Chance to buy tickets & win great raffle prizes!
    Enjoy a scenic ride through the foothills and return for lunch & raffle. GPS download and roll charts both available.
  11. Vinz Clortho

Vinz Clortho Keymaster of Gozer

Oddometer:
    I wish I could make it, I think I'm at a fundraiser for my daughter's school all day.
  12. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    This Sacramento rider did the dualsport thing with buddies on sunday.
    Oh yes, the weather/temp/dirt dampness were all you could ask for!
    Toured the shirtail/yankee jims burn area...
    To me it looks like the fire was a good thing in the way it cleared all the low brush (poison oak) off the hillside sparing the big trees.

From ophir to breakfast in auburn, frontage roads to canyon way/yankee jims, shirtail canyon to big dipper, iowa hill road and elliot ranch road. Scratchout session...foresthill road to michigan bluff/down to eldorado creek. Gorman ranch road to mosquito ridge road and back to foresthill road. We skipped ponderosa way cause the sun was getting low, the butt's were getting tired. Highspeed run back down across the foresthill bridge and back to ophir.

2manyrides
    mysticrick
    waveydavey

There's a video with camcorder footage and stills...
    You can click here;

<iframe width="700" height="525" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9sVY_tC-zwo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. St.Stan

St.Stan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, Oldtrucks, if you're still following this thread. From your route description it sounds like you connected to Allegahany via German Bar/Plumbago Mine Road. I've heard that section is pretty rough - steep with rocks. Do you think a late model KLR can make it through there if it's dry or is it plated dirtbike only type terrain?

I've been here and there in the area (Washington to Malikoff, Forest City, Allegahany, Just did Henness this last sept.) but not that particular route. I tried two weekends ago but there was snow on the sides of the roads and it was real wet and sloppy long before the turnoff so I turned back. Probably going to try next summer.
  14. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Old trucks can chime in still...

But my take, even though I've only ever riden it on an XR (and a 2wd 52 panel) over the years, is that any bike could make that run. It's the southern slope from off bucks ranch that's rough. Sure, it's pretty steep too. Unless you're a paved road only type, the klr should be fine.
  15. oldtrucks

oldtrucks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I go through there on a DR650 so I don't see any reason why the KLR wouldn't make it. As 22many noted the South Side is much steeper and rougher.

The past few winters have rutted the road and washed out soil so there are some real ugly spots. I think I've seen a broken/abandoned vehicle that failed the south ascent almost every time I've been through there. Going out the North side is still steep in spots but much easier.

Foote Crossing is another good route into Alleghany, all dirt and very scenic, but not nearly as steep as German Bar.
  16. St.Stan

St.Stan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to give it a try. The one time I went to Alegahney I went Foote Crossing, that really was a scenic route.

My upward limit in steepness was Old Galloway Road, the first mile up from Downieville. This last sept. I was returning southbound from Quincy. I hit the turnoff for Yuba Pass early, about 9am, and on a lark I decided to go over Yuba and down to Downieville and up Galloway to Henness, and back to Truckee. I made a gas stop at the pump in Sierra City.

So there I was, heading up Old Galloway with a freshly fueled KLR, all 6 gallons, saddlebags and a duffel, heading up that road that evidently dates to before switchbacks were common practice and grades went straight up ridges. It was hair raising, to me. I got to the top without dropping the bike but I swore Never Again. Not with that bike anyhow. It's hard enough to pick up unladen and on a level surface. I would have been in a bind if I had to try to pick it up on that hill.
  17. oldtrucks

Oddometer:
    With that said you should go South to North. The climb out of German Bar to the South is as steep as Galloway but very rocky. Galloway Rd is pretty smooth, just seems to go on forever :evil

I lost my vent on my IMS tank one trip, noticed it when we stopped for gas in Downieville. Started up Galloway., took me a few splashes in the face to realize what was going on, rode most of that hill with one hand on the throttle and the other over the gas cap.

PM if you want companion when you decide to try it. I'm in Grass Valley and have a pretty flexible/open schedule
  18. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    That's why my vent hose is held in place with a hose clamp, and why I have an actual hose rather than one of those short one-way valves. It would be very difficult to lose mine.
  19. oldtrucks

Oddometer:
    If I could i would but the IMS Gas Cap doesn't have anyway to use a hose clamp. The nipple is only as tall as the cap and no way a clamp will fit. I tried securing it with some safety wire, not even enough room for the tip of the pliers. After that event I epoxied the vent hose in place and started carrying about 12" of extra vent line
  20. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I've tried the safety wire route as well and it didn't work quite as well as I had hoped.

Then I went to the local auto parts store and got some hose clamps like the smallest one at the bottom of the following photo, used some needle nose pliers to put it in place, and everything is now held firmly in place.

[​IMG]

Maybe this goes in the favorite shop tricks thread...