F700GS New Windshields

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by jkbeaudin, Nov 9, 2012.

1. jkbeaudin

jkbeaudin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested, I took my new 700GS on a 351 mile interstate trip to Cee Baileys in LA to get it measured for a new windshield, Got a dark tinted Sport Shield which is larger than the tiny little thing that protects the speedometer that came with the bike. The sport shield is tall enough to move the flow of air from my mid chest to just over my shoulders. This is great for anything under 50 MPH and looks much better than stock.

But the great news is that Cee Baileys will have an 18 to 20 inch windshield that I can see over but moves the turbulent air over my head! Besides designing a new windshield, they have designed their own support bar (knee brace) with attachments, similar but different from what had been available from BMW for the 650. Should be ready for delivery by December.

I was looking for something between full tourer and off road and this should do it.

Will provide pictures and review after I get it.
  2. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing it.

I contacted Aeroflow to see if they had something in the works but they said they wouldnt have access to an F700GS for a month. They asked if I would be interested in bringing them mine to try and get something going but I never heard back from them.
  3. terraunbound

terraunbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    As you can see on the picture here below, BMW has created a metallique part to authorize the installation of the higher screen from the F800GS on the F700GS.
    As the Wunderlich Ergo is using the F800GS install matérial to fit the 800 or 650, i donot see any reasons for the Ergo not to fit the F700GS.
    Just good to know if that special metallic part is available stand alone from BMW.

BTW, i have seen at the dealer a F700GS equiped with the GIVI screen, the same one than for the F650GS or F800GS. However GIVI did create its own metallic part ( comparing both the GIVI anf BMW part it looks the BMW is more solid and less subject to vibs)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Givi isnt even listing F700GS on their site yet. And nothing newer than a 2011?
  6. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    It is not because you can not see it that it does not exist (that is what they said at church :D )
  7. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    I'm going to ride over to Cee Bailey's on Monday and get me a sport shield. No way am I paying $22 for shipping, they are 55 miles from my house. Is it worth the extra $20 bones for tinting? Decisions, decisions...:D
  8. jkbeaudin

jkbeaudin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have already updated this in another thread but thought I would correct what I previously wrote here.

Cee Bailey's new F700GS winshield is nor available in sizes of 16, 18, 20 & 22 inches with a brand new engineered USA built "knee" brace. I got the 22" light tint which puts the air over my head with my high torso body (6' tall but only 29" inseam). This windshiled works with the stock handle bar & mirror mounts and also with the 1" risers & mirror extensions.

I can see over the windshield down the road while seated and the road in fromt of the tire when standing.

No wiggles or waggles while driving at 75mph on highway 10 in Arizona!

Love it & looks good too!
  9. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Lets see it!
  10. terraunbound

terraunbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes please - a pic with you sitting on the bike would also be nice.

When figuring out the height, should the top of the windscreen be below ones line of sight when looking out straight?

My older F650 had the Cee-Bailey screen but I never thought to measure it :wink:
  11. Motosage

Motosage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up my new F700GSMy (in red also:D) and I love it. But it is still a bit cold here in Indy, IN. So I started to look for a new windscreen and this thread came up. Where can I find some of these new screens you're all been talking about? I do not post here to offten but that may change.

Motosage
    We seem to travel a great distance by making things travel in circles.
  12. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Cee Bailey's is where mine came from. I am waiting on side case liners from them too.
  13. Motosage

Motosage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just placed the order for one with a headlight guard. :wave

Thanks for Info.
    Motosage
    Two ovals side-by-side represented infinity by the ancient Greeks, they were simply foretelling the coming of the motorcycle.
  14. MYCL

MYCL n00b

Oddometer:

Purchased a 20" Cee Bailey's touring windscreen for a customer with a new 2013 F700GS, standard chassis.

Good looking screen, well engineered support bracket, and easy installation. Customer who is 5'6" without his Shoei Qwest helmet noted improved wind management over OEM screen (short), but Cee Bailey's screen did not eliminate helmet buffeting at high speeds (+50mph). Most importantly screen width did not accommodate the OEM hand guards. Handlebar could not be turn to the extreme right or left, negating the steering lock (handlebar turned left). When contacted Cee Bailey's stated that trimming the windscreen would compromise its integrity. They were gracious about a return with full refund.
  15. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    I tried the large windshield for the F800GS on my new F700GS, with the required BMW metal bracket. It just wasn't quite tall enough for my SO (5'3"). I recently ordered the large Touratech windshield. It's much nicer for her, though not quite tall enough for extended travel on the interstate for me if I'm on the bike.
  16. MYCL

MYCL n00b

Oddometer:
    I currently have a Madstad Engineering windscreen on my standard chassis F700GS and love it. While the 16" (not listed, but apparently available as a starting point for my 5'6" height) recommended by Mark was a significant improvement from stock, I still experienced some helmet buffeting. A replacement 18" reduced this significantly. I'm now trying the 20" and expect to settle on this height as it allows more vertical/tilt options for varying riding situations.

Prior to Madstad I tried the 18" Powerbronze touring screen and Cee Bailey's 20" touring windscreen (the latter with additional supplied bracket). Powerbronze redirected air at helmet level, Cee Bailey's was "noisy" and restricted left/right movement of the steering column to the point where the "lock" feature was inoperable. Cee Bailey's would not offer trimming the screen to address this issue (claiming this might present structural issues) but they did return the purchase price without question.

I also have a Givi AirFlow which I'll install later to see what the riding characteristics are. I'll report these shortly.

Ride safe!
  17. Capt CF

Capt CF Pontificating Nobody

Oddometer:
    *subscribed*
  18. camponubla

camponubla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I have installed the f800 adventure windshield in my f700gs.

[​IMG]
  19. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    It looks great!
    couple of questions if you please:
    What additional parts did you need else than just the screen to get it installed.
    What is the result while riding?

Thanks for sharing :clap
  20. camponubla

camponubla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    you have a post with the parts-list: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939929

The riding is better. The wind is more "clean" (less turbulent) than the touratech windshield.