Suzuki PE400 models

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by toro618, Jan 9, 2013.

1. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I searched but could not find the answer so here is a thread on the PE400.

I just got a 1980 PE400 from a friend to begin a complete restoration. I am totally new to vintage building so can someone please guide me to a good online oem parts source?

Also, how would I know if mine is a PE400 or PE400T? The tag on the fork before the VIN # indicates PE400, but I am hoping someone can school me on the differences between the two models so I can be certain to order the correct parts.

Thank you in advance
  2. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going to be tough for OEM parts. bikebandit.com has lots of parts; not sure what all you will need.

The "T" model should have an aluminum swingarm, IIRC. My PE175T has the aluminum swingarm with the single side brake/chain combo.
  3. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info. Do you know if if would say PE400T on the VIN# tag? Or would still just say PE400 like it is on mine? Because the swingarm on this bike is definately aluminun.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the 400T. It had the alloy swing arm, the side number plates behind the shocks and the one piece tool kit beside the headlight. There were also some other little features like the tommy bar handles on the axles. I don't believe the T would appear in the VIN as T was a model designation and the VIN will have a year of manufacturer code embedded. There are plenty of sources on the web that will allow you to decode the VIN.

From memory the T was the first model of the 400. The PE range started with the 250B then when they went to C models a 175 was added then when the T model came the 400 was added.

[​IMG]
  5. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:

Thats good info. Mine has the tool next to the headlight. So the non "T" model did not come with that tool?

The photos of a 400 and 400T all look the same. When I google images on the 1980 model, I see some have the tappered blue strip with 400 along the top of the side number plate, and some that have a non-tappered strip. Is that an idication of the "T" model, or even the "X" that was introduced in 1981?

Was the bash plate offered on both models? Mine has a bash plate.
  6. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had an 81 175, and it did not have a bash plate. I think in 81 the type of Vin changed; if it has a "PE" prefix on the frame, it should be pre-81. If it does not has a "PE" prefix on the frame, then 81.
  7. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    "T" and "X" are for the model year, not the model itself.
  8. Hockeygod

Hockeygod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with ADK - the letter describes the year.

I had a 1981 RM 125 "X"; a friend had a 1980 RM 100 "T" and another friend had a 1979 RM 80 "N".

Check this out: http://www.suzukicycles.org/_misc/identification.shtml

Good luck... I loved the old PE 175's and 250's... Didn't see too many 400's back in the day. Please share some pics and thoughts along the way!

Dean

PS that picture brought back great memories of my RM! Thanks!
  9. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    This thread needs photos of your new girl
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as I know the T was the first PE400. There was no earlier model.

Somebody asked for pictures. Don't have any of PE400s being ridden but at least one of these is a PE 400 being used in 1980. I think the bike 3rd from the right. The two on the right are mine and my younger brothers 175s and I think the next one is a 400 that my youngest brother borrowed for the weekend. He had a broken right ankle at the time and couldn't kick start it so I had to spend the weekend shadowing him in case he stalled or fell off.

[​IMG]
  11. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all that info guys. Here are some pictures as it was stored in a barn for many years. I am keeping the bike all original just to feel how she would have ridden back in the day. And then I am going to switch over to a 36mm Lectron carburator so I don't have to mess around with jetting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Began with the tear down
    [​IMG]
  12. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can someone recommend any 2 stroke engine builders in NJ/NY. Looking to get a complete engine/trans/clutch rebuild.
  13. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend had one of those in the late 80's, I used to ride it all the time. It didn't idle but who has time to cruise at idle speed anyway???????
  14. heepey

heepey Lurker

Oddometer:
    I was looking for a clutch lever and found this thread. I have a 400 that I ride when I get up the energy to start it. Mine seems to be very finicky about spark plugs. I will try and find some pictures of it.
  15. Dual Sport Armory

Dual Sport Armory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I owned and raced a PE400T-1980 model
    the 80's had a aluminum Skid Plate the 81's had steel frame guards
    other than that they were identical.
    Great motor