R1200GS LC '13 SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by kindofblue, Apr 25, 2013.

1. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
  2. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    We just installed one on ours late this afternoon. When I get into rhe office I wilk get you some measurements.

Kev

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  3. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Pics would help too :D

4. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    I measured it at the widest point and in the center from front to back and came up with these dimensions: Width: 34cm X Depth: 20cm for the metric challenged like myself that is around 13 25/64" x 7 3/4"

Here are photos of how I measured it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A nice accessory for the ALU-RACK is the SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Topcase Adapter Plate For Attaching Soft Luggage:

[​IMG]

I hope this helps.

Kevin
  5. i-man

i-man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if anyone needs either a Alurack to Monokey or Monlock givi adapter give me a holler....that would be used to mount Givi topcases to this rack.
  6. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The rack barely extends beyond the back of the OEM rack but is wider.
  7. Voz

Voz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do people think about the SWM crash bars in silver as opposed to black for the LC?
  8. Japanviking

Japanviking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The plate looks nice but I fail to see what it actually adds in functionality.

I was considering one of these to fit my Givi Maxia on the LC GS since the Givi rack can't be ordered yet.
    What is the point of adding a plate on top of the plastic OEM rack and then add another plate to be able to fit a box etc?

What am I missing?
  9. Voz

Voz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The advantage is if you already have SW Motech plates for top box, parcel etc which I do have for my Givi eye.
  10. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    The design intent of the ALU-RACK is to minimally impact the look of the rear of the bike when you do not need a toprack. When you need to carry a topbox or a piece of soft luggage just add the appropriate adapter plate. Three quarter turn tasters is all it takes to convert the small rack to your needed purposes.

Kev
  11. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rack shown above attaches to the existing OEM rack so the SW Motech rack is at the height of the top of the rear set.

SW Motech also, however, makes a "low suspension" rack that requires removal of the OEM rack placing the SWM rack flat on the back of the bike (lower than the rear seat).

On my '09 R1200GS I used the low suspension rack (OEM rack removed) and back then, SWM also made a rack that actually replaced the rear seat and fit with a prong and hooks exactly as the rear seat did.

Combining the two racks provided a perfectly flat surface from just behind the front seat to the back of the bike.

I'd kind of like to do the same to my LC when it arrives -- if I can find the racks.
  12. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    We will have the "Low Suspension" adjustment kit soon. It is an addition to the ALU-RACK and can be added later. I don't have a delivery date yet but I will shortly. - Get it "shortly"? HA!

Kev
  13. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Twisted Throttle: do you have the rack that replaces the rear seat?
  14. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    At this moment my answer is "not likely". There isn't one in development by us or SW-MOTECH. This leads me to believe there will not be one.

To be certain, I checked with our in-house design team and they are definitely not designing one.

Kevin
  15. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kevin: thank you for your reply.

Regarding the "low suspension" alu rack, SWM does list that as a part they currently make and I would be interested in that plus the soft luggage rack to go on top of it. I will check your site periodically to see if you do get the low suspension option in sometime. Thanks!

And by the way, I have purchased many items from Twisted Throttle for my KLR and have always been pleased.
  16. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tonopah!

I created a ticket today to add the low suspension fit kit to our website. It should be up shortly. Keep in mind that you will have to remove the grab handles to install the rack in the lower position.

Kev