The XT550 Thread: Info, Stories and Mods Inside!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by XTwarrior, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
    1983 XT550K. I bought it last year for $750. Had 6,600 miles and was somewhat beat up. Runs well and the carburetor is right on the money. I love it!

[​IMG]
  2. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I added a little fairing, some wind deflectors, and some mirrors today.

[​IMG]

Before...[​IMG]

After...[​IMG]
  3. thumpthumpthump

thumpthumpthump Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer:
    Looks good , where did you get it? thumpthump
  4. Lynn K

Lynn K n00b

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=post21365801 class=tborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD id=td_post_21365801 class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid">Good day all,
    the short story, I need a copy of the <NOBR>owners manual</NOBR> for my '82 XT 550,
    and help starting it.

The long story,
    I just picked up a "82 XT 550 from a friend. He needed money, I needed a project.
    I got it started at his place, but it was hard to keep it running. I felt I could fix it. At my house, I got it started to diagnose the problem. I felt it was clogged low speed jutting. I disassembled the carbs. found varnish on the jets, so cleaned everything up. reassembled everything, pulled the enrichner out and gave it three kicks. Turned the <NOBR>ignition</NOBR> on and at the second kick it was happily ideling along. Had great responce the whacking the throtle.
    Turned it off to finish a few chores and have dinner. Anxious to hear my success again, I went down to the shop and turned on the ignotion and gave her a kick, and then another kick, and on and on......all it would do was backfire through the pipe. Added enrichner again, same thing.
    No problem there is a nice quater mile down hill just outside my dreveway. Off I go....not a pop or sputter.....five miutes later my wife shows up to give me a tow back to the house.
    Removed the plug, it was wet, the spark was enough to weld with.
    The decompression cable is set to the shop manual specks.

Any ideas or <NOBR>web leads</NOBR> would be greatly appreciated.

Lynn King
    Anacortes WA
    PM's welcome
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: #575757 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #575757 1px solid">[​IMG] [​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-TOP: #575757 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #575757 0px solid" align=right><!-- controls -->[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  5. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. thumpthumpthump

Oddometer:
    Check your float needle seat , your float my be stuck and flooded your engine. Kick it over with the plug out and see if it spits gas. Had the same thing happen and found trash on the float needle seat . Rubber from the fuel line after reinstalling the carb. The gas flowed into the cylinder and the overflow did not leak any gas. thumpthump
  7. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a Cruciata fairing I bought online from a guy in Italy.
  8. epix1718

epix1718 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sold my XT550 to another ADV member and we've been working on it together in my garage.. I bought it back in '05ish I heard it run when I bought it and has been sitting since with nothing really done to it. Freshened it up a bit and runs great!

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=545374105501165" width="568" height="320" frameborder="0"></iframe>
  9. p0wn

p0wn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm having issues with things like weeds and a small trees getting stuck in between my brake actuator/rear set and skidplate. Things will get jammed and then pull on my brakes forcing the bike to a stop when riding through thick brush.

Anyone have a solution for this?
  10. ivel_86

ivel_86 Chair Ranger

Oddometer:
    Well now the bike won't get spark? I don't get it?? Ay help would be awesome I am hoping I can get a new coil and that will be good. Any clue on what could cause it from sparking to not sparking?
  11. Bart

Bart Constant Lurker

Oddometer:
    First place to start is always the kick stand switch.
  12. ivel_86

ivel_86 Chair Ranger

Oddometer:
    Seriously there is a kick stand safety switch??? Thanks!
  13. Bart

Bart Constant Lurker

Oddometer:
    Yup. Disconnect it and then kick her over. Got spark your good to go, then throw the friggin switch in the garbage. :deal
  14. thumpthumpthump

Oddometer:
    Hey p0wn, You run a piece of cable from the frame or the skid plate to the brake pedal . You drill a small hole or use a loop. Do the same on the shifter. You can make them or buy them from parts unlimited. This is old school and was standard practice when I was a kid in the 70s. My 86 tx600 is set up this way for the same reason. Mount it to the frame or skid plate further forward than the lever so stuff will tend to slide by. Be sure not to restrict the full movement of your brake pedal. thumpthump
  15. p0wn

p0wn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, this sounds good.
  16. sharkeysmachines

sharkeysmachines HusqvaYama XTC 550

Oddometer:
    The 1983 Yamaha XT550/1983 Husqvarna 250XC is ALIVE.<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1306.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fs573%2Fsharkeysmachines%2FXT550fireup_zps5bf66889.mp4">
  17. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The video won't play for me.
  18. sharkeysmachines

sharkeysmachines HusqvaYama XTC 550

Oddometer:
    I uploaded it to YouTube

http://youtu.be/Gpv075Biz2g

Its short (my son hit the pause a bit quick). I took it for a ride today (rain yesterday) and the single carb offers a TON. Made two burn-out marks in the Garage! 1st kick every time - no exaggeration.
  19. bikepsych

bikepsych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an 82 and the sidestand left me in the middle of nowhere one day. Just cut the wires and reconnected them and it worked fine...last long time! ;-D

It really was one of the best bikes I've ever owned. I used to commute from Bakersfield to San Diego on it.

BG
  20. G600

G600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That is one unique motorcycle. Looking forward to more pics/videos.