Neale Bayly Rides kinda sucks

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by guitarin, Jun 16, 2013.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I do not think there is the word irony in German!:lol3

Jim :brow
  2. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Emphasis very very much on 'reality' (or the drama filled 'reality' that TV folks seem to think we need to watch)

And talking of irony....I did laugh when the woman fell on her arse getting into the pool (oh look, in a bikini no less)... :lol3
  3. RiderLoverTraveler

RiderLoverTraveler n00b

Oddometer:
    It is really amazing to me the lack of information and knowledge on this thread. I support and respect people's opinions, but it would be nice if they were backed up with a little knowledge.

It was obvious from the beginning this was a Reality TV Show...therefore, REAL people...not actors. How did that get by some of you folks?

How does a production company "manufacture" sand storms, freezing fog/rain, and crazy traffic situations? That was real drama, not fake. However, damn impressive if they could! I want to book them for my next party.

I was taught never to count other people's money; yep, it was obvious the doctor chick was rich...really rich (good for her!)...but I couldn't tell from what I saw on the show about the other guys, and it seems everyone on this thread is "anti-rich." What's up with that? The orphanage has received GREAT exposure and coverage, as well as countless supplies, and yes, one laptop, but that is one laptop more than they had before. I am sure their donations have increased, and that is a good thing!

Real men cry and aren't ashamed of it. And real men are man enough to wear goofy hats if they choose.
    Real men get caught off guard when exposed to striking poverty for the first time and don't always handle that well.
    Real women can ride bikes, be a go-getter, never give up AND look good while doing it if she want by putting on a little make-up; I see nothing wrong with that.

Bottom line, to me, is that everyone on this Thread not only took time to watch the show (maybe not all of it, but some if not most) and THEN took time to log onto this Thread and comment about it. Says a lot to me. When I dislike a show so much, or anything for that matter, I generally forget about it; I certainly don't take time (and lots of time from what I see on this thread) to waste more energy on it. But that is just me.

LET THE BITTERNESS BEGIN to this post! :norton
  4. kingby

kingby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pot... meet kettle... how do you do?

Not sure if you are serious or not. The last half of your post makes me think serious. I agree they cannot control weather, but the producers absolutely choose personalities, and put them in situations of their choosing, while strongly manipulating the reactions of the participant (if not outright scripting).

Then they edit the footage to make it into what ever angle they want. Reality shows are far from REAL.

Edit: His hat sucked:rofl
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

While I agree with most of what you say, I have to wonder about your association with the show? :dunno

None the less, thanks for posting your opposing opinion, but do not associate ALL of us with your observations. Some of us actually are on your side, at least in part.

Jim :brow
  6. RoadRdr

RoadRdr Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can put me down for wanting to see more shows about people riding motorcycles in challenging situations and places I'll probably never get to see.

Could they have found more skilled riders? You betcha. I seriously believe there's some skilled riders on this forum that would make that ride look like a Sunday cruise. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. But I also don't think it would not be as interesting. I liked seeing what the BMW off road training center is offering. Neale Bayly took three about average street riders and arranged some specialized training and then put those riders into a situation that required above average riding skills. In an environment foreign to them. On really cool bikes. (my biased opinion)

I'm sure there was enough raw footage shot that they could have edited it more toward an audience of seasoned and proficient riders. But that's not the target audience.

I am pleased to see people on TV riding motorcycles in cool places, wearing riding gear, and giving non-riders a little peek at what it's like to travel by motorcycle. Most of the viewing audience don't have a clue about motorcycle travel.
  7. RiderLoverTraveler

RiderLoverTraveler n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jim, I apologize for the "blanket" statement; appreciate the call out on that. :clap
  8. Smellyhound

Smellyhound Happy Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hell... well not quite, but pretty damn close
    I made the comment on their site about the contrived drama. I was "set straight" that it was "all real" and these were "real people with average riding experience" "pushed outside their comfort zones".
    Okay, the tires... WTF were they thinking? I live in the desert of WA state. Everybody who rides the dunes uses either knobs or paddles or some mixture of the above (unless youre a noob who has no clue).
    I'm no Neale Bayly. I don't pop wheelies, or jump buses or any crazy sh!t. I ride a Super Ten and a Vstrom. I generally stick to dirt/gravel roads when I'm out and about. At 50 I'm just now considering getting something a little more dirt worthy like a DRZ or WR250. (started out on a 250 Enduro at 16. Then other responsibilities took me away)
    Now that you know a little about me, here's my opine about the show:

They describe the Doctor as somebody who shuns giving up, plays boys games with the boys, races sport bikes on track days, etc. BTW she kept falling over because she was using too much front brake (or at least that's what it looked like during training).
    They portray The businessman as somebody who rode dirt bikes as a kid and now rides cruisers fairly regularly. He has a sensitive stomach. Im guessing the beginnings of an ulcer due to his OCD.
    The Preacher grew up in Bahamas.. we are constantly reminded of that. Sounds like he has some riding experience. But he has a catchy nickname.. the "Whiskey Priest", yet he bears no resemblance to Graham Greene's "Whisky Priest".
    So I would think these people had some sort of MSF class maybe? at least a general idea about riding in aggressive traffic. Nope... they look like complete idiots.
    To me this at first glance is nothing more than actors who aren't actors acting in a show. Just like any "reality show". It isn't reality, its contrived BS. I truly appreciate Neale's work, I really do. I think its great that he searches for a higher purpose than just riding around the world.
    We all have our own reasons for riding. Mine are purely selfish:evil
    After watching the first episode I gave it a second chance. It still sucked. I mean really... freaking out about wind, rain, hail, freezing eyelashes, crazy drivers? WTF? The BEST part was when Neale gave the guy (and his dead Alpaca) a ride into town. THAT is what ADVriding is about.

There was ZERO real character development. There was ZERO development of Neale's relationship to the orphanage. There was ZERO development of what the orphanage is all about. Of course there was a LOT of sponsor coverage and pointers about how to buy NBR garb (" a PORTION of the proceeds" benefit Neale's foundation).
    While I like the premise of the show...I hate the show. Neale seems like a straight up guy constrained by media lunk heads who want to sell BMWs or whomever else bought ad space on SPEED channel. To me it was nothing more than corporate douchebags telling me I need to "feed my restless" and Neale and his foundation (and the orphanage) get a small cut of the proceeds.
    I'm very disappointed.
  9. Smellyhound

Smellyhound Happy Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hell... well not quite, but pretty damn close
    just more white devils ruining the world with their western culture:lol3
  10. EKIN

EKIN Just Do It

Oddometer:
    I watched the series and did enjoy parts of the show. Watching motorcycles during prime time is better than Pawn Stars in my book.

I was wondering if Neal tapped Laura the doctor? I swear I saw Cupid in the background while they were sipping wine at dinner.:ear
  11. 340hp

340hp Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, NBR is pimped as Reality TV? Was it about a ride, or a charity, or how to fail at telling a story?

Where was the Reality TV of the orphanage, the back story of the founders of the orphanage, how NB found the orphanage, and what endeared him to the orphanage? We, as the audience, could have been much more engaged if each episode had offered glimpses of the goal, the orphanage's day-to-day in contrast to the riders daily lives, and the reason the goal is held dear to NB.

Does NB care enough about his charity to detail it during the training episode #1 (no), or episode #2 during the "sand trial" (no)? Does he talk about it with passion to the selected actor/riders to prepare them and encourage them (not on camera)? Where is the hook to get the audience cheering for the goal, or for the participants to reach NB's stated goal (did it get edited out, in trade for false "character" development)?

Did the actors/riders audition for the ride, in addition to fund their ride? If they did, the casting director should be replaced. Did the writers or casting intend to introduce, in detail, any of the actors/riders previous charity experience (because of so, it was lost in editing)? Why were none of the characters portrayed with a passion for charity (not even NB, and it was his story... intended to benefit his charity)?

Did any of the riders become friends (with each other, or the crew, because the editors missed it)? The story and the character selection left no one for the audience to cheer for (maybe the one guy with the skinned Llama, but he was not scrutinized by the casting director). I guess Spanish or the native tongue was too controversial for public ears (very few native voices in the entire show)?

The sand road editing was too much close up film. For what reason (an attempt to gain some first-person compassion)? After the first few falls, the viewer had no option but to pick apart the poor bike choice, the poor tire choice and lack of advance rider preparation on the bike they were riding. It provided too much wear & tear opportunity for the viewer to see NB as an ignorant & manipulative guide (prepared for disaster to address liability concerns, but also planning for disaster at the actors/riders expense).

We needed more overall wide screen photography when weather allowed. The riding photography was good for the conditions, but not enough of the country was shown to capture and communicate the new riders awe of visiting somewhere unconstrained by a cage. The mountain mist sucked for the film crew and they did a very good job of salvaging footage that reflected the terrain in compact depths of field. The edited camera loops missed showing any connection between the riders and the country on the sand road (it was all close up sand). The editors missed showing any connection between the riders and the country they visited.

What was likable? The Guy from BMW (he was always ready to help the riders). The guy driving the support truck (again, always helpful). The man delivering the Llama to his home was the highlight. The kids on the road stops were all good, but by the time the orphanage was brought to light the freshness of any interaction was ruined (by the previous focus on NB pushing the riders to mix with the locals).

Before you try filming another ride, try filming prep story of the goal (the charity, the orphanage, & the kids). Let the characters actions tell their story (don't tell us the good Dr. is a rider and then disappoint us when actions reveal otherwise). Let NB and the crew show some passion, for riding and for the charity. Introduce the crew, camera crew and support crew, and mix the crew and the actors/riders (unless the intent is to segregate them into distinct castes/classes). Show the editor the opening scene of Lawrence of Arabia, and the countryside, before cutting begins. Give yourself two-weeks or more in-country to better tell the local's story.

It's worth doing again.
  12. cardoctor1

cardoctor1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i liked the show . better than watching honey boo boo. :lol3
  13. BruceT

BruceT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beemers and fake boobies..,,,well that was three good things about the show... disappointing final layout of the show,it needed more scenery and riding,less resorts and pools,,,
  14. Martin_404

Martin_404 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You say that now, but wait until you see the upcoming honey boo boo adventure bike episodes.
  15. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what that windscreen film is called they had on the bikes? Or a website that makes/prints it? I kinda want to do something similar.
  16. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    3m vehicle wrap. Most sign shops should have the material and can print anything on it you want. If it is something you want to last a long time(>1 year) have the clear film laminated over it. Depending on what you are installing it on it might be worth paying an installer.
  17. Blur

Blur No It All.

Oddometer:
    To most here.........
    "He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help." - Abraham Lincoln

That said, here's a link where you can donate to the orphanage.... http://wellspring-outreach.org/donate.html

If you donate, keep bitching. If not, STFU.

And to one particular someone here ........ we've had our differences over the last couple years and I grew to hate you for making the job I loved miserable. But I want you to know that the only memories that flooded my head when I saw you last week were the good times we shared. I'm glad you came over to say hello. I'm sorry I blew you off.
    Vanishing Point likes this.
  18. N-m

N-m Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer:
    Too Far from My Welder and BMW in South TN.
    Keep this up and they may hire you to do some recruiting. :huh
  19. Blur

Blur No It All.

Oddometer:
    Doubt it.

It is hard to see my empathetic heart through all my asshattery.
    Vanishing Point likes this.
  20. N-m

N-m Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer:
    Too Far from My Welder and BMW in South TN.
    Exactly, but I wish you the best.