Inject oil w/Scottoiler?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by crg infidel, Jun 21, 2013.

1. crg infidel

crg infidel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's pretty interesting! Does it run directly off of the crank, or is it geared down?
  2. 81cr450

81cr450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If ya really wanna do this right the stock pumps run off two parameters,engine speed and throttle opening.
  4. crg infidel

crg infidel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a good point. That must be how it is regulated via load instead of just RPM. The plot thickens!

So if the oil ratio varies with load, and if using premix you have to cover the full range with a single ratio, then anything under wide open throttle is getting excess oil. Is that correct, or am I mistaken?

So, knowing that the pump is regulated with throttle also, maybe it would be best to just use an actual Auto-Lube pump (and throttle cable) for this idea. That seems more feasible, anyhow!
  5. 81cr450

81cr450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you look at the one I posted^^^

& yes your mix of say 32:1 is to be safe at WFO, where like a low RPM trials bike run alot less premix
  6. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    What kind of dumb ass can't figure out 4 OZs. per gallon?:huh
  7. crg infidel

crg infidel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Although your comments are thoroughly entertaining for us all, I'm afraid you may be missing the point.

We're all aware that mixing gas works.

Of course it's a risk to try something different, but some people like that kind of thing.

Claiming that it can never work, interspersed with insults, adds nothing to the conversation.

That said, you may very well be right. It may never work. I may seize an engine in the process. I don't doubt your knowledge or intelligence, but I don't understand your need to piss on something that holds no interest for you.

If I destroy an engine while "pissing in the wind", I'll mail you a crisp $5 bill and a letter stating that you are right and I am dumb.

How's that?
  8. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    You think you're reinventing the wheel or something?:roflI think you're clueless. I'm just being logically realistic. OK . I apologize , dream on.
  9. 81cr450

81cr450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That about sums it up for you joexr :viking

It really make's me think of my old 1974 dt250 & just dumping oil in & going. I never really thought about does the pump work. The points on it were a PITA though.
    The pumps on 2 stroke motorcycle's, jetski's ,or snowmobile's are there to make them more idiot proof. Less plug fouling so they are enjoyable to ride for someone who doesnt just run WFO keeping it blown out. Why would the manufacturers waste so many "millions" on a device that doesnt provide anything better than

Personally I'm gonna vote Japanese engineers over , some ignorant 4-poker on the web.

I think that it's not really a performance adder so mainstream tinkerer's wouldnt mess with something that doesnt add hp. The view of making it run "better" throughout the powerband, particularly down low for when you get in miles of trials bike type terrain is the where the real added benefit would come in.
  10. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    MILLIONS were spent to design oil injection systems by QUALIFIED ENGINEERS.:deal Need I say more?
  11. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually agree with you Joe.

But it's a damn good thing you didn't know John Britten.
  12. 81cr450

81cr450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Britten

Its not re-engineering, its only mounting an already engineered part. Size it to the pump/motor, from another with the same cc & your just using more technology / control of the operating parameters of the engine.

Initially yes he was talking about a full re-engineer , but the idea has progressed past that point. & granted it is just an idea , but isn't that the point
  13. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    John Britten he ain't. I'm pretty sure John Britten would never have even considered using a chain oiler.:lol3 Don't get me wrong , I can appreciate alternate thinking , but I kind of doubt this guy can check the air in his own tires.
  14. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What about a metering pump off a mazda RX7?
    You didn't need to drag John Britten into this.
    WR
  15. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Hoh Jeeze,I about spat ice cream out my nose!!!!!

But no,build a custom alu frame to hold oil,fab up a gear drive for the oil pump off the ignition cover,then run a cable up and attach it to the drivers left butt cheek so as farting can regulate the oil flow...............

Ferchrisesakemanjustputsomeoilinthegas and have a beer.:lol3
  16. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    There's a point alright,it may be right on top of the original posters head. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

A guy has to start somewhere,maybe next we can all puzzle over converting a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke,and then of course what pump to use?:rofl
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    The trick with new 2 strokes and DI is they cant be burning or spewing a bunch of oil,the crank bearings need their own closed oil circuit,not as easy as it sounds Ive heard,then the bare minimum has to be mixed into the fuel somehow. They say the sensors involved make it complicated for a 2 stroke.Im hoping KTM comes out with a good one.
  18. 81cr450

81cr450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really?

Direct Injection

what about the rod bearing?
  19. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:

YUP:eek1
  20. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Ever consider a snowmobile pump? They have used oil injection right along.... You are serious aren't you?!!!! Of course we already had these pumps once and they were reliable and worked great. They were designed by engineers who knew what they were doing. If you look closely at one that has autolube you will gain some insight into just how difficult retro-fitting would be. Some items like crank bearing and big end required casting paths into the cases.... so you better be a great machinist. Some mfgr really needs to do this again to make the 2 stroke live on as practical.