Concours C14 thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Wout67, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Egodriver71

Egodriver71 Rider of something

Oddometer:

Yes
  2. Egodriver71

Egodriver71 Rider of something

Oddometer:

Bilt Explorer.

No damage to the boot. That was the foot that broke the left handlebar. Also scrapes and bruising to inner left thigh from that handlebar.

I think boots did well.
  3. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Ugh. :waysad
    Well, I'm glad you came thru it in (relatively) good shape.
  4. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    egodriver, that happened to my brother in law a couple days before news years. he was not wearing a helmet. he is still in brooks rehab and mostly paralyzed o n one side.
  5. LoneTraveler

LoneTraveler Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer:
    Wow egodriver, glad you're mostly ok! Bikes can be replaced, people can't be!

On another note, anyone here install a set of Pirelli Angel STs recently? Curious to what you all think about them.
  6. cablebandit

cablebandit Web Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are sticky, but don't last.
  7. LoneTraveler

Oddometer:
    What kind of mileage did you see from them? I'm about to pull the trigger on a leftover 2012 and know I will need tyres fairly quickly. I'd read good things about the Pirellis, but wasn't sure of what kind of mileage to expect.

Seems the PR3s are the kings of that, with the Metzeler Z8 a close second. After a very scary ride with Marathons on my C10, I don't think I want another set of tyres from them though.

I'm used to Avons on the C10, so anything better than 6k a set would be a dream.
  8. cablebandit

cablebandit Web Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've run through quite a few sets of PR3's and they remain my go to tire. I can expect about 4-4500 miles per rear. Closer to 6000 for a front.

You can roast a rear Angel in 2-2500 miles easily. I'll be interested to see if the new Angel GT with dual compound will do any better.
  9. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
    I just mounted my 4th set of Angels, averaging more than 10k per set mostly commuting.

I have run a couple sets beyond 12k, maybe 10% backroads, but mostly freeway.
  10. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    My only set of Angels only lasted 7,000km. As previously said they feel nice when you but go off quick.

PR2's are my tyre of choice although I used to like Pirelli Stradas. I've had one set of PR3's but they didn't quite last as long as the 2's. I get close to 12,000km out of 2's.
  11. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is pretty similar to my numbers. Last set of Angels lasted 3k-ish, typical PR3 life is 6k under similar riding conditions. On long tours and now that the Connie doesn't see as much sport riding, I'm getting closer to 8k on a rear. PR2 gives me an extra 500miles, but the 3 is much better in the rain and has a better ride quality, definitely worth the little extra money and sacrificed life for the 3s.

It's also my opinion that the Angels are one of the most miserable tires I've ever ridden in the wet.
  12. LoneTraveler

Oddometer:
    This is all very good info!

How about the Metzeler Z8? Anyone try those? I know there some folks use them on the FJR and seem to like them, but the Connie is quite a bit heavier, so wasn't sure how that would factor in.
  13. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    After my z6 interact experience and my angel ST experiences, I didn't feel the need to try them; I thought they were both horrible.

The only tire I haven't run that could be a contender for value is the BT-023, and I have a set in the basement waiting to be fitted next tire change.
  14. FireIdiot

FireIdiot Lost in translation

Oddometer:
    Let us know how you like the BT-023 tires. I'm not happy with them on my C14. In fact I'll be pulling mine off before summer and putting on PR3's. Tires are subjective to each individual so YMMV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  15. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ended up with BT-021 on a couple bikes by various means, and I hate them, but I had read enough good things about the 023 that I felt I owed them a try.
  16. lddave

lddave been there

Oddometer:
    I am using the Metzeler Z8. Rear is at 8000 miles front has more miles on it . For my riding style they are great . I like the wet weather handling also . I look at my maintenance info and post back the exact mileage on the tires .

Dave
  17. LoneTraveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your advice. Just pulled the trigger tonight on a Candy Arabian Red 2012 leftover. Dealer is getting me prices to swap out the stock Bridgestones for either the PR2 or the Angel ST, going to see which comes out as an even exchange, since the bike is straight from the box new.

Pick it up Saturday.

:D
  18. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and always wear my 'stich. Even with the knee armor, there's plenty of room for my legs. I added a CB Euro Tour which is great for my ergos.

Where was the leg room tight? Was it the stock seat? The Kaw seat on my'08 was tilted forward which put my legs at an odd angle...a beaded seat cover fixed it (since upgraded to a modified seat which is level).
  19. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, congratulations! They are good bikes for sure. Post a picture when you can.

I had my 1-year anniversary with the C14 last weekend. Love to ride this bike.
  20. LoneTraveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks! After 3 years on a C10, I felt I was finally ready to upgrade. If this is anywhere near as good as that bike (and I can tell already, it's better) I won't have to change much: maybe the screen, some risers, a GPS mount, and that's about it.

That was all I did for the C10, and I rode that 53k in 3 years.