Snowmobiles

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by GSDude, Dec 8, 2006.

1. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    Have or do you snowmobile? I've had the pleasure of doing it once North of Flagstaff. We rented some Polaris Indy750's and had a blast. Anyone know where to rent some sleds in Northern New Mexico?

[​IMG]
  2. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore :snore
  3. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few guys snowmobile to work here. Last time I tried it I hit a tree. I'll stick to motorcycles.
  4. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    I have a Polaris 500 indy classic. I love it. If you ride, you will love snowmobiles.
  5. Motornoggin

Motornoggin Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    Last time I rode a snowmobile, I was three years old and I fell off and now I have a scare on my chin.
  6. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Taos Ski Valley, Angel Fire as well, and they also have them in Chama...you might call Bobby Js they use to be big into snowmobiles as well GSDude.
  7. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    I owned one of the first Triple Indys. Before that I had triple brutes.

Toas cycle works sells sleds. http://www.taoscycleworks.com/

Angle fire Resort might

Other than that check Chamma.

But to be honest there really isn't enough snow right now.

Oh I know that there are some renters that operate near the top of Wolf Creek pass. From the looks of it you pay some money that they give you a ride. But they might let you take one out.

From the looks of things I am going to Wolf Creek on Saturday. Do you want me to stop and get some info for you? I will be driving right past these guys.
  8. Minnesota

Minnesota Conform or be cast out

Oddometer:
    My father-in-law and brother-in-law ride. It consists of riding through the woods, at night, 3/4 jacked-up, as fast as you can go. Kind of fun, but an accident waiting to happen.

Plus these things cost around 7,000 bucks now for something that you have to haul to the snow, since it never snows enough around here anymore.
  9. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    I'd like to rent one, but to have someone take me for a ride is:ymca.
  10. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    :thumb :thumb
  11. Driv3r

Driv3r b00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This kept up with the Indy 600 triples effortlessly. My friend wanted to race me through a trail in the woods and across some feilds. It was actually a good run. I had the sled sideways around a corner and the track caught the dirt underneith and pitched me off. I jumped back on, caught up to my friend just before it opened to a feild then i blew past.

My uncle cold seized the engine 2 years ago. Now its been re-sleeved and rebuilt and tuned. Its back and better then ever.

I hang with 800s all the time and never have troubles keeping up, plus i get twice the economy.

I have trails that lead from my parents back year (where i keep the sled)
    so i don't have to haul it. unfortunatly there was 4 days i could have used it last year. damn climate change :bluduh
  12. advjackass

advjackass orange crusher

Oddometer:
    i have an 06 skidoo rev 800. plenty of snow out here. they are great for backcountry skiing and a good way to make you pucker up on ocasion. ride most weekends but never on trails only in powder. almost as much fun as my 950.
  13. DelicateLittleFlower

DelicateLittleFlower WooooHooooo!!!!!

Oddometer:
    We go to CO every year to sled.

There's a bunch of trails (several hundred miles of them) between Sunlight and Powderhorn.

There used to be a lodge midway, accessible only by snowmobile in winter, ATV or dirt in summer (but I've never been there via dirt in summer), that had fuel, food, and bunks for those into extended play. Unfortunately, the lodge exploded (propane leak) and killed some of the family that owned/ran it.

I'll give you a heads up next time we go.
  14. dirtdoggie

dirtdoggie Confused Conflicted User

Oddometer:
  15. ilmostro

ilmostro Under Da Sea

Oddometer:
    Had em. Got smart and moved to a place where it doesn't snow.
  16. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chama area is beautiful...and across the state line to Pagosa Springs are several snomobile rental places .... also huge population of Elk and deer.

But my favorite place by far is the city of West Yellowstone, Montana....snowmobile capital of the world...there are at least 20 snowmobile dealerships in the little town...and 20+ Best Western Hotels mostly dedicated to snowmobilers. I have been in Yellowstone Park many times but quite riding there many years ago... Best place to ride is across the state line into Idaho to a place called Two Top Moutain. Snowmobile Rental place in West Yellowstone, Montana is "Randy's Snowmobile Rental.

Randy's can give you directions (map) to Two Top Mountain...about 110 miles round trip...usually Randy's is about $85 a day for rental. Two Top is a pretty challenging trail but unbelievably scenic...but watch out for the moose.
  17. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    I agree but I don't makeup the rules. I also don't know the rules. So I can stop and ask if you like.
  18. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't buy one.

But I'll take one for free:

[​IMG]

Forty bucks in parts, and it runs.

The KLR of the sled world. :lol3
  19. Gallant

Gallant Banned

Oddometer:
    Nope!:lol3
  20. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    I spent years sledding in the Mountains of BC. It is the kind of sport that people try a couple times and quit because all they do is get stuck. But when you stick with it and become a proficient mountain rider, there is no better sport on earth. I couldnt begin to describe the rush and enjoyment the sport can bring. Motorcycling is a different experience but in my books it cant top snowmobiling, mountain sledding that is. Watching people riding around on the trail makes me wanna puke. Those of you that have done it know what I mean.