For Dads & Daughters

Discussion in 'Photos' started by dlrides, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I was a kid my dad was a police officer on motorcycles and he used to come to scool and pick me up and drive the few blocks to home. All I remember was it was a harley and it had a single seat and a suicide shifter. It marked me for life I always had interrest for bike and fishing because my dad toke me:clap . When he turned 60 and had is first surgery for cancer I treated him on his first salom fish trip. And was lucky enough to catch one:freaky . When he got sicker and said to me one day : wow did you see the new BMW gs what a cool bike...That s all i need to get my self another bike. He always dream of travel but was never a traveller. So now almost a year as past ( sept 5) since he past away and I ' m treating myself the a great adventure ( for him and me) Me and my husband are doing the TAT.
    Every mile are going to be done for my dad's eyes.
    Dad's are great
  2. Rhyolite

Rhyolite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. 2wheeldeb

2wheeldeb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dad got a ticket with me on the back of a small honda when i was three he rode on the sidewalk of a church (he was the pastor) when he went to court they yelled his name riding with a female passsenger that wasn't his wife he yelled it was my daughter. When I was 16 he bought me a moped and I still remember whipping around a small jersey town on that. My dad always taught me there is nothing I can't do just because I am a woman. Last time I saw him he showed me the burgman scooters and he was set to get one when he retired in a few months. His dream was to travel across america on a motorcycle. That was four years ago and dad died suddenly just before he retired. I looked at his dream and decided it was also mine and I wasn't going to put it off. I signed up for the msf course and got an sv650 and have been smiling since I know dad is my pillion. I just did my first long solo trip across the western states 3k. Dads are important everyone needs someone in their life that is adventurous and supportive. Any rides with your daughters will leave a lasting impression.
    deb
  4. idood

idood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  5. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    My son is 24 and daughter is 21 now. I've always thought they were my very best friends on this Earth, and treated them that way. Who else do you have more in common with??? I have literally millions of memories of time spent teaching and learning together. My son is my motorsports buddy, my daughter is my outdoors (skiing, bicycling, etc.) buddy. They grow up so fast!!

Good on all of you who realize this and cherish each day's adventure!

doug
    Billy52 likes this.
  6. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ours is set to turn 14. She is not mechanically interested but likes to ride. Got her a PW50 when she was 4, now she's up to a TTR125. She's ridden mom's F650 with me on the back and is itching for a street bike.

We've traveled as a family to Vancouver BC, Arizona, Baja, and all the places in between. Took 2 months this year and rode to Panama and back. I don't have a lot of pictures of her since she is the one who is usually doing camera duty.

Leaving for Panama
    [​IMG]
    Somewhere in Mexico
    [​IMG]
    A river ferry in Guatemala
    [​IMG]
    Stopping for a drink on the road
    [​IMG]
    With Robby Gordon's P2D truck at Mike's Sky Ranch
    [​IMG]
    And at the Honda Dirt Bike School
    [​IMG]
  7. southforkspeedster

southforkspeedster koolaidless

Oddometer:
    Being the Dad of two daughters, (both avid riders) this thread really makes me smile. I will post up some pics, when I get a minute:norton

Thanks for sharing, this is awesome:clap
  8. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am very glad all the dads (& daughters) enjoyed the ride report. Seems to have struck a soft spot in our hearts, especially mine. Thanks for all the stories of your memories, and sharing touching personal thoughts.

Don C
  9. wiltony

wiltony Will Tony What?

Oddometer:
    Edit: I removed a video from this post because it was of me riding unsafely with my little one (it was short putt around a park, and I felt I was being careful, but it was still unsafe nontheless). I don't want to advocate actions like this to others, nor do I want to draw any more ire or create negative feelings in this very positive and uplifting thread, so I thought it best to remove it.

Be safe and careful, especially with your little ones!

A picture of my perfect little future ADVrider:

[​IMG]
  10. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Her first ride last winter:

[​IMG]
  11. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Mine...with her little brothers on a hiking trip with our dog Rudi! Sweet 16 in two weeks!
  12. Helmet Head

Helmet Head Have bike, will travel...

Oddometer:
    If you love her more than anything, why would you risk her life and safety like that? I don't care how careful you think you were being, all it takes is one dog, kid, car backing out of a driveway, oil slick, patch of sand, whatever... that you didn't/couldn't see to drop that bike. Do you know what would happen to an infant's head falling on pavement from that height? Do you know how fragile their skulls are and what severe blunt head trauma can do to their development (assuming they even survive)? Is that really worth the risk? I have three kids, the oldest of whom is starting to ride himself. I would never, ever, ever have even considered doing that when they were that young, and especially without any kind of head protection. Wise up, dad!
  13. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

she was following in the Jeep, but enjoys posing...
  14. daltonzach

daltonzach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great ride report, mine's still in the oven also. I just ordered a set of pajamas that look like riding gear. i hope it sticks
  15. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Regarding post #71:

You have a valid point, and it's best handled through PM, instead of a public rebuke in this thread, igniting a flames war :turkish

Thanks for keeping it civil :thumb
  16. cdnabn49

cdnabn49 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM sent in regrds... I have also enjoyed all but one post on here
  17. svenoman

svenoman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My oldest is a boy, but I have two girls, a 2 year old and a 2 month old.

If anyone is wondering the Answer is 3 and Done for us. (Number of Kids).

My 2 year old Gina loves to ride on the 4 wheeler or in front of me on the XR 70 we have.

Great pictures and posts from all of you Girls and Guys.

I will post a pic also if I get a chance.
  18. Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim buckle up buttercup

Oddometer:
    New Jersey - That's OK, we don't like you either
    nice ride report

I wonder if she'll write a ride report one day
    if not thats cool too
    [​IMG]
  19. wiltony

wiltony Will Tony What?

Oddometer:
    No offense taken, you're not starting a flame war -- I agree with you. I understand that was dangerous, shouldn't have done it, would never do it again without some protection for her, and would never advocate anyone else doing anything like it either.

I don't do that regularly (only did it that one time, actually), and please understand that this particular ride was safer than if you were walking around a park carrying your little one on your shoulders. Yes, bad things can happen in an instant, and without warning, as in any situation -- motorcycle or no. I don't mean to justify what I did, because I admit, it wasn't smart and there's no need to take unnecessary risks, especially when it comes to our kids. I just want to make sure you realize that I'm not running her to the grocery store or somewhere on a regular basis! :nah

Be careful, be safe, and protect the little ones!
  20. WageSlave

WageSlave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my girl, helping me out on cleaning day.
    [​IMG]