Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. toddzacker

toddzacker Just the Shame

Oddometer:
    biker128- thats just a little evil...but I like it:wink:
  2. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    That's not evil. Proper maintenance helps the ride and fuel mileage. Otherwise Vstroms will go on without any maintenance at all. :D

Now that is evil. :evil

Hey Jeremy I have an unopened liter of Belray Fork Oil. It is 10W. The books call for over a liter but for the level it did not take over 1 liter. I shold come up for an RTE and give it to you for being so evil as Todd says. Us Vstrom riders need to stick together.
  3. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries. I've had one inmate tell me they were surprised I have not sold mine since I have not been riding it as much. Now that I see him looking at other vstroms, I wonder if it was a ploy to buy mine.:D
  4. biker128pedal

Oddometer:
    I was a ploy. Don't sell it. I keep thinking about selling mine. Getting a full faired street bike and a WR but then go for a ride. I just need heated socks. :D
  5. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    My buddy there just called me.

2011 RT. in on trade. Less than 9k on it

Just I case someone is looking.
  6. MADSTROM

MADSTROM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm getting a very strong urge to ride out to the mountains Saturday. Not sure what to expect. It could look like this;

[​IMG]

or this but I've really got the urge to Ride :ricky:ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

http://goo.gl/maps/wgu7H
  7. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice, Is that heading south from Bluegrass toward hightown?
  8. MADSTROM

MADSTROM Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the place :nod

9. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting Google Maps shot of a couple of bikers on Rte. 640 just before the intersection with Rte. 637:

[​IMG]

Anyone we know? :ear

:lol3

10. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mickey,

I may be interested in joining you for a sprint out that way - but - have to get back relatively early. I am committed to attending a racer's reunion banquet that evening here in RVA. I've missed this event for the last 10 or so years but made up my mind I WILL be attending this year. These are with people I raced flat track, scrambles, and motocross with back when the earth was still hot.... many I haven't seen since the late '60s and '70s.

Let's chat towards the end of the week.

11. MADSTROM

MADSTROM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok

12. biker128pedal

Oddometer:
    Sure is nice out today. I need the mesh. :rofl

Good Greek food in Billyburg.

[​IMG]
  13. btblueskies

btblueskies BTBlueSkies

Oddometer:
    Here is a great ride I have done... planning on doing it saturday if I can get out. The ride is actually from A->B->C. The map wouldn't draw the route between A and B as the road is not published in the map. It is a public access road to the National Forrest and is a bit challenging. The rode from B to C end's up at a navigation towers. From the Navigation towers there is a nice trail heading north that is a bit challenging also. I haven't completed that trail as my tires wouldn't get through some of the muddy sections. Now I have the K60 and am ready to give it another go ! Plus with the GPS spotter I got for XMas I don't mind going it alone anymore.. yea.

I have the proper GPS trek at home and I'll see if I can screen shot it and post it later.

So far the section from A to B is the most challenging section I have found in the area, besides the area behind Martins ;)

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=37.768687,-79.157443+to:37.748186,-79.155493+to:37.7447549,-79.1378878+to:37.771339,-79.1712321+to:Wiggins+Spring+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FYzpPwIdjnhI-w%3BFe9NQAIdPSdI-ykH9QB3ADmziTEqkjBGdu-MrQ%3BFdr9PwId2y5I-w%3BFXLwPwIdoXNI-yl9oltFaTmziTGLrJoC6a50tg%3BFUtYQAIdYPFH-ymZgrOPtDmziTFr5MfGfWU30w%3BFVa3QAIdUc5H-w&sll=37.754023,-79.139843&sspn=0.110479,0.222988&t=h&mra=ls&via=1,3,4&ie=UTF8&ll=37.72817,-79.18046&spn=0.13824,0.14698&output=embed" frameborder="0" height="350" scrolling="no" width="425"></iframe>
    <small>View Larger Map</small>
  14. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    point C looks like the cell tower. A to B, I can't make out. we were talking recently about an alternate way up to Wiggins from Lowesville or Sandiges that I couldn't remember how to find. Thought it was via little Piney, past that Camp Crossroads.. but maybe this is it?
  15. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    C is definitely the tower. Turn on topo and look at the area between A and B it doesn't look like there is a way through other than up and over. Makes me almost wish I wasn't committed to other things this weekend. Things to look forward to for the spring. I might have to look through my USFS maps and see if I can decipher it.
  16. btblueskies

btblueskies BTBlueSkies

Oddometer:
    Yes, I bet this is it. I was actually trying to come out on the road Camp Crossroads was on, but I couldn't find a connecter. The one trail I did see that may be a connector was shutdown with dirt piles and tape.

I'll post the GPS track when I get home.

Also, The Cell Towers you speak of has a sign that says they are Navigation Towers... not Cell Towers... but I wouldn't know otherwise.
  17. Dirtmonkey8

Dirtmonkey8 VA is for Riders

Oddometer:
    They may have closed the gate to the NF at the top of the mountain. My folks have the place on the left shortly before you start heading up the mountain on the public access to the NF service road. Their place is the old chestnut log cabin and they built a house behind it up on the hill. The FS usually closes the rd in January after hunting season for the winter to kep the roads from getting too messed up. You may need a plan B. The rd running north from Rocky Top Tower eventually splits and both dead end. I am pretty sure it connected to the Parkway at one time. Fun roads though and it can get slick. Staton's Creek Falls is nearby and if you have not been there you should check it out sometime. It takes you off the gravel but when it brings you out to 60 you can cross over onto the Peddlar River gravel road area (fast and fun). I just asked my dad and he thinks that gate is probably closed. You may have to go up Piney River (Alhambra rd via Perkins Mill--- Shoe Creek anyone?) to get up to that area or enter from Rt 60. I may want to tag along if you guys don't mind. I am tempted to make the run to Monterey as well.
  18. btblueskies

btblueskies BTBlueSkies

Oddometer:
    Thanks... I will take all this into account.

Looks like I am free for Saturday :) .. .who else is in! I will plan the ride if ya want... and I am also open to someone else planning the ride... just let me know. I would like to be in this general area as I am familiar with it.. however I am totally game to go with someone elses game.... just let me know! :)

Smiles,
    Karl.

GPS tracks comming up.

I have lost track on how to post images online.... errrr... post comming tomorrow I suppose.

Damn change engine... needs to be stopped so we don't always have to keep figuring out what to do... errrrr.....
  19. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do it yearly. Last time I did my fork oil on the strom is came out pretty beat up looking.
  20. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aTvYAcJOx3s" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

It's a glorified commercial, but some pretty cool riding. Wonder how many Tiger XC's were killed in the making of this thing.