Excel Rims on my F800GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by iJabberwocky, Sep 19, 2012.

1. iJabberwocky

iJabberwocky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my 2012 F800GS in April and have been putting lots of miles on it (over 4K so far). I already have a bent rear wheel but still can ride it and plan on riding it a little longer. I am thinking I am not going to spend the money to true the rim and instead take that money and put it towards a new Excel Rim, I have heard good things about them. Anyone here running Excel rims on their F800?

Thanks.
  2. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    give woody a call... many of us on here have had him lace up a front wheel. Others like myself have had woody lace us up a 18" rear for better tire choices and narrower rim
  3. Gumbeaux

Gumbeaux The Chameleon Supporter

Oddometer:
    you will hear this recommendation a lot. I had Woody build me a set of wheels for offroad when I bent my stockers. Now I have two sets I can swap quickly. May be a bit excess, but :clap
  4. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    DID and Excel rims are top notch. So the question to change over to either is a no brainer. What however is worth thinking about, is the size you will choose, depending on whether you wish to enhance off road ability or not.
    Also bare in mind that DID has a line of tubeless rears, that work very well.
  5. LostONtheTrail

LostONtheTrail Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When it comes to upgrading or replacing your wheels, these guys are experts and you cannot go wrong.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/

They have lots of options to choose from and they will know what is best for your terrain and situation.

We put on an event in Death Valley earlier this year (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/849/1...12-Taste-of-Dakar-Adventure-Touring-Ride.aspx) and we gave a wheel set away as the grand prize for coming to the ride. Our special guest at the event, Jimmy Lewis actually uses Woody's wheels.

Like I said, top notch.
    condor-machinist likes this.
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. bodhizafa

bodhizafa How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Big thumbs up for Excel rims from Woody's! Got an 18 incher laced to a KTM hub in the back, stock hub in the front.
  8. iJabberwocky

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the feedback. Going to look into Woody's for sure now.
  9. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    I'm lusting... I think this will have to go on my "list" :lol3
  10. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So by going to an 18" rear wheel, what "off road" tires are you guys running and like?
  11. bodhizafa

Oddometer:
    I've been running a 908 on the rear and a Scorpion Rally (it just happend to be on sale) on the front. The rims I got were a little skinnier too, so I went down to a 140 width rear, still a 90/90 on the front though. I've been happy with the tires, not great for the road, but most of my riding has been on dirt roads or trails.
  12. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    908 is an amazing tire :norton
  13. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just was at an event where the Woodys people had a booth. I looked over their stuff closely. 1) I was impressed with the excels. They looked more than twice as thick as the stock rims. 2) The tubeless conversion looked a lot more robust than you might think. 3) Personally I am happy with the 21 inch 17 inch wheels so I would not consider changing them. I just wanted to post that the Woodys stuff did look good. Dave
  14. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much did that setup cost you, the tires that is? And how long for the turn around?

I like the helmet (looks just like mine!) but the bike is too... clean.
  15. bodhizafa

Oddometer:
    That was a clean day for the GS. She very rarely gets cleaned up like that :wink:

Not sure what you mean by turn around time......for the tires....about 3 or 4 days waiting for the UPS guy. The new wheels were just over a week turn around but I live 20 minutes from Woody's shop in Denver and if I remember correctly they had to order 1 rim or maybe it was the hub....can't remember. Price for the tires were $200 for the rear 908 and about $80 for the Pirelli front (both were on sale at the time). If you look around though you can usaully find the 908 on sale around $200, normal price is a bit higher I believe ....... expensive tire :cry

I really love the setup, for my riding which mostly consists of dirt, it is almost perfect. Obviously not tires for the twisties but it will get you there. The wheels are tough as hell, I've put them through some good hits ....... much more stout than the stock wheels and look much better too! :evil My only compaint is the 18 inch rear raised the bike a bit and it was already a stretch for my short legs :lol3
  16. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    I had them build me a set for my F650GS Twin and has the tubeless set up. It was temperamental and leaked, especially in colder temps so I finally just used tubes. I had them build up a set for my F800GS with the Rad hubs and KTM sprocket with narrower then stock rims but stock 17"& 21" diameter and they are a huge improvement over stock and definitely one less thing to worry about. At the time they gave me a decent trade for my stock wheels with carrier and sprocket but they only had 1000 miles on them and were in as new condition.
  17. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Out of interest, does anyone with two sets of wheels have both an 18" (presumably Excel/Woodys) and a 17" rear that they switch out based on whether in the dirt or road. If so, sidestand issue aside, how do you find the gearing? I'd be interested to know how many teeth you run on your back sprocket(s) so that the bike pulls okay irrespective of which wheel is in?
  18. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If my math is correct, a 140/80/18 has a 6% larger circumference than a 150/70/17 tire. Going down 1 tooth on the primary sprocket is about the same. To find rear tooth count add 6% to the number of teeth on the stock sprocket. You need a 44.52 tooth sprocket.:rofl

It is also going to raise the rear of the bike 19.5 mm. I hope the loss of trail does not resulted in any terrible crashes. Sorry just a bit of sarcasm. It is something I have recommended for years with little success.
  19. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excel 21"x1.85" front and a 17"x3.5" rear on my bike. They have been awesome and have taken a ton of abuse and remain straight and true. One of the best upgrades I've made to the bike for sure.
  20. iJabberwocky

Oddometer:
    :ear

Thanks for the input.