CCM Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by munkee1805, Apr 10, 2013.

1. munkee1805

munkee1805 n00b

Oddometer:
    Having had a search around, I can't see much mention of CCM's on the forum, so figured I'd start one myself.

Being a small British company, its not surprising that CCM aren't well known, even in the UK.

The bike I have is a 604e Dual Sport. It's a well spec'd bike with WP suspension front and rear, excel rims, talon hubs, brembo brakes and acerbis plastics all round (including tank). The engine is a Rotax unit with electric boot and a kick start as well (being on the left side, not easy to use!). That's the standard spec of the bikes, which later changed to a DR650 engine later on for the 644 model.

My plan is to use it in some UK Big Bike Rally events this year and also develop it into a mild adventure bike.

I figure a more comfy seat, maybe increase fuel range (CCM put the 604 into the dakar a few years ago and there's a very limited number of larger fuel tanks knocking around - finding one is the tricky bit). Maybe a Better headlight and a BMW Dakar screen will help out too.

Since these pics I've added some acerbis hand guards, heated grips (the type that stick to the handle bars then you put enduro grips over the top), replaced the side stand spring (check out that health hazard in the pics!) and fitted a rear rack (standard and very small, but the basis of a future metalwork project I reckon). I figure either some wolfman saddle bags, kriega overlander packs or maybe a giantloop coyote will go nicely on there too.

I'm also on the lookout for a second set of wheels (either trail or SM - the DS models originally came with both sets when new) so I can have a set of full on enduro tyres for the muddier times of year and rally events, and something nicer for road riding/fire breaks.

Plenty to do, but this thing cost me £1250 for what is a good bike, though a little doggy on the cosmetic side up close. They guy I bought it from is an ex CCM mechanic and the bike came with every receipt, including original purchase and all owners manuals.

I'm a happy bunny :D
    [​IMG]
  2. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    Good luck with your new moto.

They run with a timing belt as far I know....?

What is the change interval?

:D
  3. munkee1805

munkee1805 n00b

Oddometer:
    They do indeed run on a timing belt, but no idea on the change interval.

I do so few miles on the bike that I just give it a regular check and would be stunned if I do enough mileage to wear it out :)

It's currently up on the bike lift and needs a re-wire (as usual with British made stuff, the engineering is very well done but the electrical and fit/finish is a bit slap dash!), new shock bearings, fork seal, new brake pads/fluid, fresh air filter, oil change, a couple of stripped threads re-coiling on the crank case, and things like chain rollers etc replacing.

Basically, I spend 51 weeks a year servicing the bugger so I can ride it once or twice :D

When its all done though, it'll be worth it and they're becoming a bit of a niche modern classic with the Rotax motor.
  4. Rot Box

Rot Box Diesel and Dust

Oddometer:
    Great looking CCM :evil

I'd really like to own one someday but they're super hard to find around here. On the ATK board most recommend changing the timing belt annually regardless of miles. It will get really expensive really fast when the belt lets go.

Tough to beat a healthy Rotax :freaky
  5. munkee1805

munkee1805 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks buddy - she's a bit rougher round the edges than the picture may let on, but only to the extent that she's been used for the purpose intended.

I'll take on board the point about belt changes though. Everything on the toad is cheap and sp very easy to take apart that there's no reason not to change the belt regularly. I change the oil regularly too as, needing only mineral oil, its cheaper than a cheap thing - problem is that I have to order it in as my local parts store only stocks the fancy synth and semi-synths th most modern bikes demand.

It looks like this at the moment through, as an air filter change turned into a mini restoration:

[​IMG]

Tasks I've picked up so far:

Re-wire loom as its a real buggers muddle and ha a few faults
    New rear shock bearing
    New chain slider/rollers
    Oil and filters change
    Re-coil thread on sump screw (butchered by previous owner and badged with silicon sealant)
    Fork seal to replace (blew it out on my last rally event)
    Full deep clean (I have OCD - but prefer CDO as its in alphabetical order)
    New brakes pads and fluid change

Future upgrades:

Up rate the standard light - thinking of a trailtech x2
    Fit a screen of some sort - KTM Hard Parts screen for 690 looks good
    Make a better rack for the back end - standard one looks great but is useless
    Make a better bash plate
    Fit better exhaust guards to stop burning my trousers (to through 2pairs now!)
    Trailtech vapor computer

I might also look into a lithium ion battery to save some weight and make a bit of room in the battery tray for a tool kit. A few people have retro fitted FMF Powercore silencers as well, which again is a big weight reduction over standard and gives a nice growl to the exhaust note.

That should get me to a point where I'll then sell the bike and get something else that needs a load of work :D
  6. jjdavidson

jjdavidson Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! One question:
    Who is original manufacturer of CCM 604e electric start? Is there any labels or numbers on your e-start? I know Rotax part number is 294-358, but Rotax didn't make e-starts themself..
  7. jjdavidson

Oddometer:
    so, it's Nippon Denso 228000 7460
  8. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    atk thread can be a good resource for rotax info
    cool bikes, saw CCM kick MX ass in the 70's
  9. jjdavidson

Oddometer:
    No CCM riders here anymore?
    I have now one frame and engine, and hoping to make something like Simon Pawey's Paris-Dakar bike
    Paweyccm.jpg
  10. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just noticed this thread. I have had a CCM 604 1997 since new. Been working it over the last year - new stator, suspension rebuild, everything greased and lubed. Are you working on yours still ? Live in Idaho, USA.