2012 ktm 690 enduro R owners, any major problems ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by edra, May 13, 2012.

1. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    wow :eek1 that's what I call bad luck! did you finally keep it?
  2. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM
  3. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone used the 2012 SMC-R with Akra map on this? Friend just picked up a 12 and as i have the cable wants to drop a better map on, but is a bit hesitant. Done a bit of research and looks good, just wondering....
  4. kmann51

kmann51 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    See my response #10 in this thread. I've got about 600 miles, mostly offroad, with a Q4 FMF slip-on and stock air filter. Runs great in the normal map. Don't care for the advanced map as it seems on or off with some flat spots on the gas. I just now put a K&N filter on it and will try it out this afternoon. Overall happy with the bike and will be a lot happier when I get my Garmin Montana 650 sorted out with proper maps and Ram mount.
    BTW the bike seems to get about 45 mpg which is good enough for my riding. The pavement manners with the MT21's is very acceptable as well. Will use these tires again.
  5. blackSP

blackSP 51.38986335329787, 4.399599889888853

Oddometer:
    Putte, Netherlands southern border to Belgium
    Originally Posted by ramjet [​IMG]
    According to my dealer today-nothing available for the Akra on a 2012.

Flash the '12 SMR R akra maps, they're the same as for the Enduro R

===============

I'm at 5000kms now and I think my oil pressure sensor is busted. The pressure light stays on for about 2 minutes. Restarting the engine makes it go away for the rest of the day.
    I need a new a sensor...

===============
  6. Kirkster

Kirkster Parts Murderer

Oddometer:
    I think my pressure sensor is on its way out also... First started acting up a little bit ago and will come on when at idle now...
  7. blackSP

Oddometer:
    I really hope it is that cause I rode a 1000km rally with it...
  8. ktmspecial

ktmspecial n00b

Oddometer:
    BlackSP -

Thanks for the tip on using the Akra flash for the 2012's. Which map did you specifically use because when I look at the available list on TuneECU, i'm only seeing the 3 options:

1. one with standard exhuast.
    2. one with EVO 1
    3. one iwth EVO 2
    So not seeing any that specifically call out using aftermarket exhaust. For reference, on my 2012 enduro R, I've got the EVO 1 filter top with K&N filter and then I have the FMF Q4 slip on pipe (versus full akra set up).

Feel like I'm missing something simple here, but appreciate your advice/suggestion.

Thanks!
  9. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Just put a FMF on my 2012 as well and will be changing out the air filter. Haven't changed the tune yet but with the TPS relearn and 15 min idle is seems to be running smoother. Looking for the answer to your question as well.
  10. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i haven't learned tune ecu yet because i used tuneboy but getting the right fueling made the bike even better
  11. 4Lo

4Lo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking to put the FMF Q4 on my 2012 Enduro. Is it the same part number as the previous years? I can't seem to find a 2012 specific application. Thanks.
  12. ktmspecial

ktmspecial n00b

Oddometer:
    Update here.....

I loaded the EVO 1 map today and I can only echo what BlackSP said.....IT WORKS GREAT! All of the twitchyness and lack of power with the OEM map is gone. The bike is butter smooth all through the revs, pulls hard from down low and with stock gearing it actually power wheelies in 3rd gear....that blew me away!

Technically this map doesn't state it's for an aftermarket exhuast so maybe there is even more coming when better maps come out, but all I can say is this is a night and day improvement and well worth doing.

Regarding the FMF pipe, I can confirm that you can buy the ones listed for prior years and it bolts right up......I have a friend with an 2010 Enduro so was able to confirm fitting prior to ordering, but rest assured it will fit.

Enjoy fellas.....
  13. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update, might give the EVO 1 a go as well.
  14. blackSP

Oddometer:
    Strange that they have removed the SMC (+ Enduro) R Akra version.
    That version is, if you ask me, better suited for the Akra + normal air filter cover + duo foam filter.

The Evo 1 is like that but for the open air filter cover and I think the bike would be running too rich like that with the stock cover (stock sucks less air).

I have uploaded the original 2012 SMC (+ Enduro) R Akra maps here. Check 'm out!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14982578/akraSMCREPMap.hex
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14982578/akraSMCRFIMap.hex
  15. 4Lo

4Lo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably a dumb question, but how do you load these maps? I have tuners in my force induced Jeep and my Cummins truck. And I've had Power Commanders on superbikes. So is it pretty much the same concept? If so, where do you get the tuner or cable?
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge. My 690 is still on a transport. So I haven't seen it net. Thanks!
  16. blackSP

Oddometer:
    Same concept. You download TuneECU, open the maps, flash them while being connect to the bike with a cable you can purchase on the Internet.
  17. 4Lo

4Lo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode my new 2012 Enduro for the first time today! 120 miles of mixed twisties and dirt up to 11,000 ft. All I can say is WOW! This thing handles waaay better than my '08 530 ECX-R. Much more comfortable too!

But a couple concerns...

1) The initial throttle off of idle feels clumsy during short blips. Like it fumbles a little and it seems that larger twists are required for smooth takeoff. I'm used to riding motocross style so little blips are in my nature. Hmmm... ?

2) One time, on Goldcamp (no really)... the thing popped and the FI light came on and it stalled out. Being in the middle of nowhere, I was like, aw shit! But I turned the thing off, waited a couple minutes, re-fired it and it was perfect the rest of the day. WTF? Hmmm... whatever.

3) I plan to get the Euro tail and some small LED turn signals. But for now, I eliminated the fender thingy and tried my luck with some aluminum tape on the lower half of the OEM turn signal to keep it from melting. Holy shit! It worked like a charm! Simple fix I guess.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am also pleased to report that I got 65 miles out of the very first gallon burned! Pretty respectable I would say, especially at high altitude.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check the under seat switch to see what map is selected. Your owners manual will tell you where to look and the settings. The stock muffler/nuclear reactor is partly to blame for poor throttle reponse...it will have better low-end response with a Wings or FMF or LeoVince...and you won't melt/set fire to nearly as many objects. Back fires thru the intake seem to be an issue with the 2012 models...my 2008 has never done it, but my 2012 has had several episodes. Check the throttle body to make sure it hasn't been partially blown off the intake stub...
  19. 4Lo

4Lo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was running the Advanced #2 Map. Gonna need better response off idle for the tight trails. Probably a pipe and tune in my future huh?
    [​IMG]
  20. CanadianX

Oddometer: