The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moose is the US distributor for AXP skid plates.
    Their dealers will have them, eventually.

It's been posted before.....
  2. 13Moose-man

13Moose-man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got an exhaust system on its way and was wondering if anybody knows where I can get a new exhaust port gasket? Would one from a cbr250 work seeing its almost the same motor? I'd like to install a new one and not take a chance on reusing the one already in there. Thanks in advance.
  3. Harcomo

Harcomo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks......just sent an email to Moose inquiring about the status and future availability of this plate through Moose dealers.
  4. 78_XL125

78_XL125 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Do you not have a honda dealer near you? The year 2013 does not show up on parts diagrams, but if you pick "Models with no year" at the bottom it will show the CRF250L and parts are available online as well.
  5. ramz

Oddometer:
    The exhaust pipe gasket is exactly the same for the CRF250L and the CBR250R. And it is the same as the CRF450X - 18291-MEB-670. Any Honda dealer should be able to get you one.
  6. ramz

Oddometer:
    What is the website address that shows this "Models with no year" parts diagram?

I've checked 6 on-line parts dealers and none have what you describe.
  7. 13Moose-man

13Moose-man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I just finished installing the fi programmer. Install was no problem. Took the bike for a little spin, so much better and that is without the exhaust and no other mods. :D
  8. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What kind of lead time to receive the exhaust ?
  9. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    I have one on order too - can't wait to get it.
  10. 13Moose-man

13Moose-man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just finished installing the fmf megabomb and q4 exhaust. Looks freakin sweet! Have not started it up yet, I want the hi-temp silicone used at mid-header connection to cure properly (24 hours is what it recommends). Thanks ramz for the gasket part #, went down to the local dealer and they had one. Can't wait to try it out!
  11. Brk4moose

Brk4moose Could save your life

Oddometer:
    So.......

I'm still new to posting on the forums although I check in often. I've owned both a 2001 KLR and a 2007 G650Xchallenge. I liked them both very much but no longer own either. I've got the dual sport itch again and need some advice..I've been considering buying a new KLR but have been reading some pretty good stuff about the CRF250L and had a few questions for the owners......

1. How would the CRF do with a 215 lb 6' foot tall guy riding it? Would it be too small for a guy my size?

2. Im looking for a commuter bike / dual sport bike for a 20 minute backroad ride to work during the week and something for the logging roads/ dirt roads in NH for the weekends..Would this bike fit the bill for that? Is it good on the road (30-55mph)?

3. I'm torn between the Honda or the KLR...I'm rarely on the highway and like the value of the Honda but having owned a KLR in the past don't want to miss the extra CC's..

Any advice would help, Thanks in advance!!!
  12. 13Moose-man

13Moose-man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 240 lb 6' tall, it fits and hauls my carcass around just fine. I use mine for exactly for what you want to use it for and I love it. It cruises at 55 mph on pavement effortlessly. In my opinion if your not going to be on the highway that much its perfect for the riding you want to do.
  13. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big disparity in displacement between the bikes but nontheless the CRFL can do what you're asking. I've cruised on the highway @ 75 mph indicated so 30-55 is no problem. Off road it's very capable for intermediate trails. Tougher stuff would require a sprocket change. Stock is a good compromise for street/trails.

The seat height may be an issue. I'm 5' 7" 30in inseam @170 so it probably fits me just right. I could see 6ft being on the edge of feeling cramped for extended riding. Definetly should go and see how it fits you.
  14. goondock

goondock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I second this, I am 5'11" 6' on a good day and weigh 245, I mainly use the bike as a commuter I ride 30 miles one way to work and love it, it is fast enough and an enjoyable ride I would recommend it to anyone. for me it is too quiet.. I know a lot of guys on here are going to be shaking their heads but I have never had a problem with trial riding where i ride with my loud 2 stroke.. Next week i am going to get an FMF and the mega bomb. possibly a programer and a 13 tooth haven't decided yet
  15. jtbek

jtbek ADV990R

Oddometer:
    How excited are you? Did you happen to weight the stock vs. the FMF? Man... be sure to write up a quick review once you take it out for a ride. did you also install the FI controller?
  16. CRFSoCal

CRFSoCal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, I am new to this site and new to motorcycle riding. I just purchased a CRF250l and so far I love it. Lots of good info from you veteran riders. Where is a good place or website to get aftermarket exhausts for the 250L?
    Thank you in Advance.
  17. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome!, fmfracing.com
  18. 13Moose-man

13Moose-man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn't weigh them, but the fmf is quite a bit lighter and yes I did the FI controller. Probably won't be able to test it out until Friday, hopefully.
  19. ramz

Oddometer:
    The FMF muffler is 7 pounds lighter than the stock CRF250L muffler.
  20. dsn11487

dsn11487 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am 6'3" and 235, I have both the Crf250l and an 08 KLR for what you described I would pick the crf250l. You won't miss the cc's and if you do the aftermarket performance parts will help a lot.