I'm leaking fork oil from under rebound adjuster knob.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by flux_capacitor, Jan 17, 2013.

1. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever had fork oil leak out from under the plastic rebound adjuster knob on the top of the fork? My right one is doing just that and curious how to go about repairing it. Thanks!
  2. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    o-ring

Take the top cap off, remove adjustor, replace 0-ring.
  3. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:

Two things:

First, did you or someone else just work on or service the forks? Commonly, those who are not familiar with WP forks will fill the middle of the inner cartridge with oil (the area where the long thin rebound tube sits). This is supposed to be dry, and when oil gets in that space it comes out the top as you describe.

Second, the rebound cap is sealed with a common O ring that can fail, although normally it is not that common of an issue. To repair this, the rebound knob has to be removed. This part is easy, at least until the two little steel balls and the spring go shooting across your garage never to be found. Point being, be careful. Once the rebound knob is off, the replacement of the o ring is straightforward. Reassemble the knob into the cap with the spring and the two steel balls and you are good to go.
  4. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    Johnf3 nails it in the First Place. You can replace o-rings on the cap, but it won't fix it until you drain out the extra oil in the damper tube.
  5. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    it's also possible to have spun the inner cartridge, which reduces the threads available, not allowing the fork cap to seat fully, keeping the damper rod from seating, causing it to leak. dont ask how i know...

laters,

laramie :beer
  6. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    If there is oil around the rebound tube, and the forks haven't been worked on in some time, oil could be getting past the rebound adjustment needle, it seals into the rebound tap with an o-ring. The rebound tap is steel, and sometimes gets very rusty, and eventually oil can make it's way past the o-ring.
  7. freddelito

freddelito n00b

Oddometer:
    Do anyone know the size of that rebound adjustment knob o-ring?