MY KTM 690 Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Night Falcon, May 17, 2010.

1. TrailGoat

TrailGoat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SpeedD, could you please name all the movies which are partially covered? :clap I have been looking for some to watch and just have been able to find "From Dust to Glory"; great film IMHO.

Thanks in advance and my apologies for side-tracking the OT.
  2. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice Work! :clap
  3. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    I appreciate it. It looks like I am going to be off bikes for a while so I may dive into a project like this for my 690. I am surprised that the headlight housing is strong enough to triangulate the mounts and support the fairing. When I get well I am going to look at street bikes at dealers to see how they are mounted.

I wish I had one of those Baja race lights to look at. I would love to build the fairing around that.
  4. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    some of the DVD's were included with bike magazines I bought so wont be availabe for general hire...but they are:
    Steve Crombie - Natuarl Born Traveller: the great divide
    Top Gear - back in the fast lane
    Dual sport riding techniques
    Trail Bike adventure magazine: the X factor

Theres not alot of weight in the fairing so it dont need much to support it. Even at top speed (170kph) the fairing is stable azz. I hope you get well real soon...I've had 5 opperations on my leg over the last 2 and half years so plenty of down time for fiddling with my bike....i find it very theraputic! :norton
  5. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Took off the fairing and the safari tank today to check how everything was under the clothes. Havn't had the tank off in a while and couple of the botls where exrtemly hard to remove! But all was well underneath even gave it a quick cleaning..very quick!

[​IMG]

My version of a tail tidy. I relocated the indicators but had to make a new number plate light. I used an off the self LED with a few mods works good azz!

[​IMG]

With the stock number plate bracket removed the tail light and indicator wiring was a bit exposed so I made an alloy plate to cover it up.
    [​IMG]

Still making my mind up on what type of air filter is best to replace the stock paper one? There is a good deal at the moment on a K&N but are they better or worse than a foam jobby. the cotton filters seem a little fragile to me? There was some notable dust residue inside the air box enough to convince me the paper filter aint the best...so I am going to replace it...but with what is the question?

I still have some time to decide as I'm wont be riding for nother month or so :cry...stupid broken leg!!
  6. grimripper

grimripper 1pissanter

Oddometer:
    KTM discontinued the paper filters usage about 18 mths ago or thereabouts.
    My bike came with the paper and it leaked dust as well.
    I was not happy with KTM after my engine had been unnecesarily 'dusted'.

The dealer eventually supplied me with a free UNIFILTER as they should have before handing the bike over to me.
    No probs with this one as it does a good job with the occasional soap water clean and a spray of filter oil after being TOTALLY dried.

I also apply a bead of black gasket silicone after spraying a bit of oil onto the mating faces of the filter frame and the airbox to stop the silicone sticking as added insurance against dust ingress here.
  7. Night Falcon

Oddometer:

Thanks for that...I will ring my dealer on Monday for a CHAT but not holding my breath....they quoted me $220.00 for a foam one ex Austria which sucks; given the cost of the bike and KTM's build quality they should never have left the factory with a paper filter!

The K&N filter looks similar to the paper filter but has mesh screens with cotton cloth between them....I'm sure they are better than the stock one but am abit worried about how long they will last but they are on special for $117.00 deliverd to your door in 2 days.
  8. grimripper

grimripper 1pissanter

Oddometer:
    See PM.
  9. Paves

Paves Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got one of these. Aus made but delivered to my door from the US for about AU$80 - less than from the cheapest place in Aus and that's not including postage. Seems to work well and I kept the snorkel on. Haven't been on any long rides with it yet though.
  10. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    using the foam filter,liberal spraying with filter oil and a bunch of k&n filter grease on the sealing edge i finally got no dust inside. I was using rock oil water solubile oil and grease and it just didnt work but real simple to clean. i had to change the engine oil way early after a dusting but no more:clap
  11. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    I don't know where you took that info, but my 2011 was delivered few weeks ago with a paper filter.

Paul Jr
  12. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Uni filter arrived yesterday. Even pre oiled! :clap Decided to go with the uni over the K&N as I think its a bit more robust long term...not saying its any better or worse than the K&N but 100% improvment on the stock paper jobby!:D

[​IMG]
  13. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    Here in the USA the wholesale cost of the unifilter through parts unlimited is $25...retail around$ 45.....that's with non oiled black foam filters. Ktm twins sells the same unit with green foam and pre oiled for $65. Ktm sells the same exact filter with orange foam and ktm logo for $105. If your dealer quoted you $220 for this unit then that is almost 10 times the wholesale cost. Seems a bit extreme for an air filter.
  14. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    I got it from Unifilter Austrailia for $102.00 AU including (freight to NZ) in 4 days. 2 KTM dealers quoted me $220.00 plus 6week wait.

Ktm NZ are renown for their over the top parts pricing. Its a fair bet that alot of their customer base are buying overseas which cant be good for their business. KTM have put the squezzze on outlets like KTM twins to prevent them shipping internationally (but this is easily got around) in a bid to force their customers to buy local and get ripped off. The dealers here don't carry much in the way of stock so theres usually the 6week wait as well. So while you can get better pricing and faster delivery overseas KTM NZ will continue to loose out and so they should.
  15. hogdoc

hogdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:

It must be the Harley rider in me but damn these black and orange KTMs look good!
  16. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    MKII Fairing Bracket.

I decided to redesign the fairing support bracket. The headlight is now fixed directly to the Fairing and the fairing has a three way connection to the new bracket. The previous setup was working fine but the new bracket is more tidy and gives me more adjustability. There is also more room under the dash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    First test ride with new support bracket, air filter and general spruce up....so far so good. Havn't riden it for 3 months but it almost feels like the engine is running smoother? Maybe the new foam air filter? or the 10w50 replaced with 10w60 engine oil? It use to clunk a bit when turning the engine off with the kill switch but now it just stops as quiet as a mouse in a cattery :D

[​IMG]
  18. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Even the lads on Top Gear are going to struggle getting this Toyota runing again :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Very nicely done :thumb
  20. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    File Note:

Today we say good by to the KTM690 Mega Thread. So long old freind...it was a blast. :1drink