Excursions pour la Journee avec Gaston

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Gaston Gagne, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Friday morning, I headed back to Laurel Springs. We didn't get any rain at the house, but they sure must have gotten it up on Grandfather Mountain. John's River and Wilson Creek were huge. I learned later that they got some rain up in Laurel Springs as well. I picked a good night to stay at home.

I got rained on some on the way.

[​IMG]

advtenn's ride had left by the time I got there. Maybe I'll catch up to them in Damascus.

[​IMG]

I was turning down interesting looking roads and consulting the map, and before too long, I crested this hill and there they were.

[​IMG]

Soon the ride was moving again, and the weather was improving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sure, it's 60 miles to Iron Mountain, but it's tough to beat. We're just a wee bit short of perpendicular here. :norton

[​IMG]

Eventually, we made it to Skull's Gap. Several people opted for a less spicy run into Damascus.

[​IMG]

advtenn made this line work! This was the first of three slick, steep climbs. They were much easier the next day when they had dried out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I miss Clifford.

[​IMG]

Two dudes (sorry about the screen names!) on KLRs got through here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You gonna do the second half?

[​IMG]

He's still smiling.

Kyle B knows how to get his.

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XPG64G6NPNE" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

So we got to Damascus, where Trail Days was on, and fueled up. I was kind of dehydrated, so I got a drink. Suddenly, the group is helmeted up and leaving. I only caught up when everyone stopped. These guys were in a hurry to get home, and I can only run 50 mph, so I peeled off.

Silas Creek is a really neat road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Ashe County, even the buildings lean into the turns. :lol3

[​IMG]

Thank you, sir, may I have another?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Set em down right over there.

[​IMG]

Back at camp safe. :freaky

Some people are dedicated to the lifestyle.

[​IMG]
  2. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Friday evening I was talked into going over to Iron Mountain again. Oh twist my arm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was late for my appointed meeting time in Damascus (What else is new?). My partner had trucked over there because she didn't have a tag on her bike.

[​IMG]

Much drier than yesterday, and that 250 KTM is a much better appliance than a KLR. We made good time.

[​IMG]

An out and back run on Iron Mountain would have made for a short day, so we poached a run up to Whitetop Mountain to take in the view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cruised back to camp for the fine victuals. I didn't last long at the party.

Sunday morning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The kitty was happy to get out when I got home, and the conditions were perfect for drying out my thoroughly soaked stuff. What a great time!

PS: Layla took second in her boat race at the Cheoah.
    Kovac77 likes this.
  3. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
  4. arapaho

arapaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent write-ups, buddy. Making me miss that area.

When are you coming out here for a visit? I have a spare bike now.... :deal
  5. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    A quick trip to Bristol. I got to Mountain City by 8:45, figuring I would be ahead of the crowd. I was, but I came up behind a Johnson County Sherriff patrol. Yikes! :eek1 He immediately pulled into the gravel pulloff, where I envisioned the ticket writing would take place. He did a gravel spraying U turn back onto 421 and sped off back toward town. Phew!

[​IMG]

I "got lost" on the way into Bristol. Those damned VA three digit roads. Whatever you do, don't go over Spoon Gap if you're in the area. :nono

I spent a good part of the day at Kyle B's house. I hope I didn't keep him from essential chores. He rode back to Shady Valley with me. We had a relatively clear run back.

[​IMG]

We had an iced tea and rocked on the porch a spell.

Look what the cat dragged home.

[​IMG]

The cam chain tensioner doesn't appear to be any worse for the wear. Fingers crossed.
  6. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    This time we made only rights and did the loop clockwise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we got to Laurel Springs, it was in the 40s. :vardy Lucky and I have this talent: we get on our bikes and head straight for the coldest places. I had never noticed that you get a nice view of Grayson Highlands as you cross the top of NC 18.

We ate Lucky's lunch at Healing Spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We crushed tons of gravel but no dust. Nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black Ops at Whitetop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We did find Big Springs Mountain, but basically by accident.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was hoping to check out Snyder Gap to get into Tennessee, but I was flagging at that point and directed my front wheel toward Rally HQ. NC 88 is a nice run.

[​IMG]

280 miles of awesomeness. We should have gone to the Bike Rally in Boone.
  7. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    Hey Phil, I had a dream about you last night (nothing too kinky).

Nice pics!
  8. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:

:huh

do tell! :evil - and don't leave the "nothing too kinky" part out....
  9. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    :lol3 It was just a handshake, as near as I can remember.
  10. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

My Marlinton stoke level is building.:freaky I hope yours is. Perhaps that is why I appear in your subconcious. I'm just stuck on the "hamstring" photo.

My mission today was try out some new roads and learn some foreign phrases.

First, we learn that Corvette is derived from the French corvere, which means, "the interval of time necessary to reach 100 mph."

[​IMG]

Second, we learn that the left at the winery on 194 does indeed connect with Beech Mountain, but not as it is depicted on DeLorme's. As long as you're not a commercial vehicle or through truck, it's OK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This road does beg your pardon, but the residents who live along it do not.

[​IMG]

The flame azalea over here almost made me switch my destination to Roan Mountain to take in the bloomery.

[​IMG]

Andy Hicks is a sweet road that brings you over to Bethel/Beaverdam. Too bad there was some kind of organized bicycle ride on Georges Gap because the likelihood of (a) bicycle(s) in the road around a blind corner was fairly high. I ran over Beaverdam/Bulldog in search of Snyder Gap.

Tennessee roads are awesome. I bagged four new border crossings. Maybe 5 but it's hard to tell.

If North Carolina were a book, Ashe County would be the rubric. I think it's a good metaphor.

[​IMG]

This little sidetrack almost turned into the converse of "the true beauty of a motorcycle..." Nice tank trapping job. :thumb

[​IMG]

Class, today's ticket out the door: Use "Porsche driver" in a sentence.

I'll only insert the tip of my Porsche driver so it won't hurt a bit.

[​IMG]

I had a recurring dream about this place when I was a kid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Now that's the kind of stuff dreams are made of!! :freaky
  12. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    I headed out to BYOB in Marlinton, WV on Wednesday. It was the longest day of the year, and I still needed to get an early start. My planned destination for the day was Paint Bank, VA, where I hoped to make it in time for the Swinging Bridge restaurant.

[​IMG]

I did my standard base of the escarpment twisty run over to Wilkes County, where I picked up NC 16. I had ground to cover, so I just did a big stretch on 16.

[​IMG]

The first rule of Flat Ridge: Don't talk about Flat Ridge.

[​IMG]

I got a bit lost in there and ended up in Rural Retreat. I just crossed 81 for a blast through Crawfish Valley and over Big Walker. This put me in a tense gas situation, but I made it to Bland without even hitting reserve.

Probably, against my better judgement, I took Hogback Ridge road. As you can see it was very enticing

[​IMG]

It offers a nice view of downtown Bastian.

[​IMG]

As I was approaching a mudhole, I saw a large bear footprint in the mud that was maybe 6-8 inches deep. Just as it registered that I too would sink at least that deep, I got my bike dirty. Damn.

No Business

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I forwent going into Pearisburg and finally put together the Eggleston bypass without getting lost.

Clover Hollow, VA. Some AT hikers ran back into the woods when I stopped at the pass. I ran from them too.

[​IMG]

Tub Run was open this time. It is VA's answer to Maple Sally. Fun Stuff.

[​IMG]

I then took VA 311 over Potts Mountain to Paint Bank. No long cuts because I was running short on time for a buffalo sandwich. I should have ordered two. I :dg

Paint Bank, Virginia :raabia

[​IMG]

No cell signal at the campground! None at the top of Peters Mountain either. I wouldn't say the trip over to Sweet Springs was wasted, however.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steel Bridge campground would be perfect if it had water.

[​IMG]

Just a "short" trip over to Marlinton tomorrow. :deal
  13. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Thursday morning I got up for a quick loop of Potts Mountain before I headed toward Marlinton.

[​IMG]

They have done some improvements to the tricky parts on the jeep trail. The climb out of the big hole is much improved.

The overlook was nice with the sun to my back, and cell reception here. I checked in with Layla.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rode back up the Sweet Springs Turnpike and then Potts Mountain Road to 311 and back down to camp. I packed up and hit the road for Marlinton. Big Ridge Road, which goes from Sweet Springs to over near Pedro is not to be missed. It's straight out of a Speed Racer cartoon.

I got a bit mixed up navigating but eventually found my way to Kate's Mountain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This guy was checking out the hot stone spa at the Greenbrier.

[​IMG]

I headed up Big Draft and over Anthony Road to FR 296.

[​IMG]

Time out for a little weather.

[​IMG]

I made it to Renick, which has a post office but no gas, and then just cruised up 219 to the Coachella Valley Carrot Festival.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was looking a little ominous, but it keeps the dust down.
  14. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Friday morning was not the kind of morning that makes you get your boots on as quickly as possible. We were getting the occasional bit of rain while we sat around bench racing and enjoying Kyle's delicious coffee. Thanks for that!

The Motor Inn maintenance dude told us that the clearing would be coming through soon and the rain was pretty localized to the Greenbrier. We got on it and headed down 219.

This was a wrong turn, so we had to turn around. It was not the last time we caught air on pavement that day. :ricky

[​IMG]

We had Lobelia all to ourselves and then climbed up the road that goes over to the South Fork of the Cherry. By the time we hit the top, the sky was blue. No dust.

We went through Cherry Low Place over to Cold Knob.

[​IMG]

After some brief reconnaisance of the wind farm, we discussed the options. Since neither of us had any engagements we needed to be back for, we decided to head over to Rupert. I made a wrong turn and got us down into Big Clear Creek instead of running out on Little Clear Creek. No sweat, we were in Rupert, where the residents heartily approve of snakin' boots and dirty motorcycles.

[​IMG]

From Rupert, we headed west on US 60 to Shawver's Crossing, where we cruised up Cross Mountain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Due to the ever changing road conditions, I was a bit disoriented heading back toward Cold Knob.

[​IMG]

I was apologizing to Kyle B about the out-and-back nature of this portion of the ride, but due to my navigational "errors," this turned out to be a true loop. :ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We dropped off Old Greenbrier but took the right to the South Fork of the Cherry. I swear this trail was all like this, but now 2/3 of it is graveled lane-and-a-half.

[​IMG]

It was dusty as hell and logging truck mayhem along the South Fork. We pulled over. We saw our first bear of the day. Then down into Richwood for gas and water and Starbuck's can. Then 39 to 76 over to the Cranberry, then over to the Williams and then over to the Gauley. Fantastic roads through semi old growth hardwood forest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed up WV 20 and then CR 42 along the Gauley and then mounted Gauley Mountain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was getting late, so we blew off the run up to Sharp Knob. True story: Kyle was on point. We had just crossed over the divide and started down the hill to 219 when an approximately 200-250 pound bear came barrelling out of the undergrowth fully committed to crossing the road. Fortunately, his trajectory was about five feet fore of Kyle's front wheel. :eek1

In Slaty Fork, the pros were in town. They don't know jack about cross country.

[​IMG]

We ate dinner at the Marlinton Motor Inn because I couldn't bring myself to get back on the bike to go into town.

[​IMG]

That was as much fun as I've ever had on a motorcylce in a day. Thanks to Kyle B for the company.

[​IMG]
  15. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    I know you guys had fun, you were both busting at the seams. :D
  16. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Saturday morning was pretty foggy, and I didn't put my tent up the night before. As much fun as there is to be had here, I gotta head out.

[​IMG]

I finally got my act together in time to catch Sporting Wood and son. They wanted to head over to the windfarm, so I joined them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They headed down toward Richwood while I headed south into Trout.

[​IMG]

On the way down 219, I spied a sign for this:

[​IMG]

I put away two of their 7 inch subs and a slice of carrot cake. They were impressed. Good stuff. Then on through White Sulfur Springs. My intent was to ride the TWVT down to Hinton, but I was pressed for time. I doubled back through Paint Bank and took Waiteville Road, where I came upon large groups of M109ers. They must have been having some kind of meet in the vicinity.

[​IMG]

Byrnes Chapel, always a good time.

[​IMG]

I made it to Stony Fork.

[​IMG]

I stayed up way too late hanging out with a dude looking for work. He was on his way to an interview for a fiber optic cable installation job. Good luck!

I got going fairly early but then had the bad luck of choosing a place for breakfast at the same time three separate church youth mission groups had the same idea. They were really amused by the coincidence of the whole thing. I was less impressed by the line for food and bathroom. That's truck drivin'.

Back into the hills.

[​IMG]

I rode some really neat VA SRs from Comer's Rock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I met Lucky just as I was about to enter West Jefferson, we turned around and headed back to Warrensville.

My fourth state of the trip

[​IMG]

I was pretty tired, so we didn't do anything fancy, but we did do this fun run over Beech Mountain, where we got rained on.

[​IMG]

That is all I have to report. I made it home. 5 days and 1,115 miles. These ADV functions are cool.
  17. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
  18. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

what he said
  19. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    There must be some explanation for how this shadow works.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wWDm5K5oO_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That's going to be a lot of honey. The sourwood trees right behind this bee yard were still looking pretty white.

[​IMG]

The bees at the house took the meager amount of sourwood they were able to collect and made wax out of it so they could put clover into the comb. :baldy

Anthony Creek had water in it.

[​IMG]

US 221 has gotten a trim from the barber. It completely changes the feel of the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elevator going down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Layla and I went and set up for fireworks viewing at a strategic location that I had scouted out some time ago, but the fireworks had been on Sunday.