For Winnipeg and the surrounding area!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BOBMUNZ, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:

Go to Home page, Regional, Canada and post.
  2. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    I'd start it in the "Canada" forum if you want info. When it comes time to actually show pics and describe your experience, obviously "Ride reports" is where that's done. Top left corner in each sub-forum is a button - "new thread". Mel, I apologize in advance if you already know this - if you search in the ride reports forum using key words such as east coast, atlantic, maritimes, or simply Nfld or Newfoundland, you'll find (I'm sure) many ride reports with great tips/info/pics.

Daryl
  3. KamikazeKLR

KamikazeKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Daryl, for some reason I hadn't thought of that. I'm sure my trip has been done a thousand times before. Why I didn't think people would post about it is beyond me. Oh well!
  4. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Another tip - again apologizing in advance in case you already know this :D, at the top of each individual thread is a header "thread tools", and you can subscribe to individual threads you find useful or just plain entertaining (like this one).
  5. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    That I did know. I am subcribed to this thread.
  6. Mark96

Mark96 Way Out There!

Oddometer:
    Planning a trip down to Texas to ride the hill country west of Austin. Will probably leave around Feb16 and back around Feb28. Home base in Texas will be Fredericksburg. I've got a killer room rate at the Super 8 there. Got room for another KLR in the van. Just thought I'd throw it out there. PM me if it might work for you.

Also, ordering tires and tube from Aviscious Cycle tomorrow by about 11 am. If anybody wants to piggyback my order to save shipping let me know.

........just checked DSP and they have better prices...so will order from them
  7. Mark96

Mark96 Way Out There!

Oddometer:
  8. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    Good luck on you trip - be safe and have fun! post pics pls!

So I have decided to remake my seat. I'm going to cut out where I want to reshape it and add different foam and have it recovered. Probably gonna do this next week when things aren't as hectic...

Anybody have any experience doing this? what materials should I get (what specific brands or makes)? Here is my draft list of things...

- High-quality foam
    - low quality foam
    - spray-on foam glue
    - waterproof layer (not sure what yet)
    - top layer for cover (either leather or marine vinyl) 2 colors

I want to make it lower and more 'dished' as opposed to tall and narrow. Kind of like a seargent seat!
  9. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
  10. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    Cool. How much did he charge you? I think I'll do the foam myself because I want an exact fit. But I'm not sure if I'll cover it myself or not.
  11. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did the seat on my KLR to make it wider.
    Found the foam at a place on St. James, pricy. Also found the vinyl cover material at a fabric store on St. James, cheap.
    Mine was only one colour so stretching and stapling the fabric was easy and it turned out well.
    No need for an inner waterproof liner as the vinyl is waterproof.
  12. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Maybe $100 or $125. The guy really knows his stuff. I'd let him do the cutting/fitting. He might recommend substituting his own foam in there. Firm is good BTW (IMO) for the long haul - better than your butt feeling the seat pan thru the foam... a risk when you shave it down.
  13. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    Nice! Thanks guys. Good info.
  14. Mark96

Mark96 Way Out There!

Oddometer:
    In the market for some noise cancelling ear buds for the ipod. Was wondering if anyone has come across any decent ones that are not too expensive.
  15. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Walmart had a large selection of ear buds, as well as radio shack, though you pretty well need to know what you plan on wearing as you don't get to fit them.

The injected fitted are the best, however they are costly.
  16. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    Has any one cross Ontario going west on hwy 167 and then 11? Trying to plan my return ride but I don't know how many resources there will be if we take the route less travelled. What I'm concerned with is the number of gas stations and such. Any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated! I know there's an easier way to get across ON but I reeeeally want to take this route.
  17. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:

Once, in a car, at night. A lot of nothing between Roberval and Chapais. I think the gas station was closed after dark at Chapais, so beware. Maybe about 220kms. From Chapais hwy 113 to hwy 397 to hwy 395 to Amos, about 430. Gas in Waswanipi and possible Miquelon and Amos. from Amos to La Sarre on 111 approx 100kms. La Sarre on hwy 111 turning onto route des 6 & 7 lang to Saint-Lambert. No gas in saint-lambert. I made it from La sarre to Cochrane on a tank on a KLR. Straight west from Saint-Lambert on the Translimit road(good fast dirt) to Cochrane about 130kms. Best I can remember from a couple of years ago for the translimit road and about 2004 when I did hwy 167 route. Hope you can use some of my probably confussing route :evil You can't really go just straight across, it's more of a up and down ride across.
  18. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greetings from the Oregon coast... :evil

Confusing post Mel. AFAIK, 167 runs through Quebec, not Ontario...
    Been through Northern Quebec on #113 from 167 and across to # 11 in Ontario, and all was well.
    As Lappeman stated, many gas stations close at night, but the KLR is a 500 KM tanker, when kept at 90 or below with no headwind.
    If you're coming from Newfoundland, sounds like a gnarly route. :ear Do show us your intended route on a map.
    Need more info...
  19. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark,
    By far, the best I've tried were the buds from Blackbox.
    Constricting issue was the originals only worked with the iThings, as they drew their power from them.
    That said, SUPER quiet.
    I see the new C20s use an AAA battery, so that constriction is gone.
    If they're half of what the originals were, well worth the money.
    Cheers, Brian
  20. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! I definitely didn't think my sentences through, sorry. Here is a link of the whole trip. Each point is a must so I can really change the destinations but I can definitely change the routes. Take a look at the return trip ( the one staying in Canada) and let me know what you think!

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Wi...qUjFkyrnG-hoqKw&oq=kitch&mra=ls&via=3&t=m&z=4