Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. shipman

shipman don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I haven't owned a car in years either. I'm all about not even giving yourself the option to choose the cage over the bike!

Besides, why pay for registration and insurance for all these different vehicles when you can only ride one at a time?
  2. Earthscape

Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer:
    +1

Interesting conversation this has spurred.
    For where I live however, having 4 wheels for the winter is not optional. Many days I would not be able to get a bike out of my driveway, let alone to work and back up the mountain - unless perhaps it was a Rokon.
  3. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    Would love to tour the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway on one of these :-)
  4. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    I also got my bike in sep I'm 190 miles from 10000.I have an old jeep I bought almost 10 years ago as my first car and I can't seem to part with it so 99% of the time it's just sitting. I really like them wr250rs they are sweet bikes.
  5. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

That thing looks interesting, until you've seen a video of somebody riding it. It looks to much like a minibike for my taste. I don't think it's geometry would be good for travelling far. I think it's more of a toy for kids to do crazy tricks on.
  6. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    I like the looks of them I started riding a 150cc Chinese scooter just back and forth to work and that honda would be great for that but it is far to mountainous in Arizona to get out of Phoenix area to do any touring. If there were back roads that were like 55 it might be ok but I would imagine you would be at wot the whole time.
  7. Trogon

Trogon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,new to ADV.I ride a cbx/cbf 250 and enjoy making missions on the thing.I love the idea of small bike touring,well it's all I own so I really have no choice:D...Did my first 'long distance' trip on my bike this year, about 3000 kays in total,it was awesome!so stoked...cool to see others with the same vision
  8. larry31

larry31 Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer:
    It's not what you own, it's about how much fun you have riding it.
    Enjoy, and be safe.
  9. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    :stupid:nod
  10. Rey & Vann

Rey & Vann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a haul! Love to hear about your trip.

Rey.
  11. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Just got the wife the baby piglet.
    [​IMG]

She's lurvin it.

Sent from my A501 using Tapatalk 2
  12. theBullseye

theBullseye Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello...... I love small displacement bikes !!!

2 years ago ...toured all over western Canada on a CBR125r (about 7500 kms) .Loved every minute of it !!! Toured Alberta from Cold Lake to the North to Crowsnest and Lethbridge to the south. Then went into B.C out to Vernon- Kelowna and down thru the kootenays.

Last year I upgraded............to a CBR250r !!! Best bike I ever had !! Did about 7000kms on her last year !! Toured BC again and all over central Alberta !! Got a Ventura Luggage System and was set for touring !! Can't wait for more trips !!

Got a new 2011 KLR over winter to complement my CBR250r. Two different bikes - Two different styles of riding !! Been spending time on the KLR and learning new skills BUT still LOVE my CBR250r !!! And I am a 43 year old fart, loving motorcycle riding again after 20 years away !!
  13. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    Im a firm believer in this statement above,why do people have to get so caught up in what a person rides,ride,smile,smile smile,enjoy,and have as much fun a you can without hurting anyone,oh my Buddist side just snuck out.
  14. Suurvlakte

Suurvlakte n00b

Oddometer:
    Next time try the Ceres Karoo area.It is stunning.Enjoy
  15. djvx

djvx Ride Safe!

Oddometer:
    Lets keep this thread going! MORE PICS AND RIDE BLOGS! :gdog PLEASE
  16. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

I just ordered some Plano #1404 cases to use as panniers. They are very inexpensive & lightweight, but I think they will be perfect for mounting on my Yamaha XT225. I'd bought one from Walmart last year and been thinking about if they are what I really want or not, and have come to the conclusion that I'm not going to find anything that compares to it for the price. They are only $11.50 each. (not at Wmart anymore. went to amazon .....I hate em' both equally!)
    Since they are so affordable I ordered 3 more. I'm not sure if I will need all of them for the bike. Maybe 1 on top as a "trunk", 1 on the right side beside the exhaust, and "maybe" 2 will fit on the left side without the exhaust.

I don't know if that will be what I end up doing, but just thinking til they get here.

Will post pics.
  17. 8lives

Oddometer:
    I think I need a change,KLR is just to big,it is my favorite all round bike Ive owned to date,But the KLX250 is looking pretty good,I really can't spring for a WR250,Im still a little uneasy about FI as the WR and the CRF have so the KLX is whats fitting the program at the moment and there seems to be a bunch of goodies available.Any thoughts??
  18. tshelver

tshelver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beween here (SE Asia) and there (Southern Africa)
    That depends on a lot of factors. Where you will ride, riding style, height / weight and so on.

For general riding, I wouldn't discount something like the XT250 either, not that I've owned one. Simple, reliable, aircooled, fairly low seat height.

If you are just riding in North America, I don't see the issue with FI. I've been running bikes and cars with and without fuel injection since the 80s, and had far more problems with carburetors.
    EFI also scores if your riding area has big altitude changes.

For RTW, maybe it's a different story.

Sent from my Android chinaphone, please excuse the spelling
  19. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a price on a new 2013 DR200 at the dealer in Hilo Hawaii today. $5300 out the door. Ouch!!
  20. 8lives

Oddometer:
    Ya I need to get over the FI phobia,Im tuning a Powercommander on my sons R6 at the moment and a laptop beats the hell outta jets and gas times 4 carbs.Im a small guy and though Im doing about 12000 miles a year on a bike mostly commuting and 1 or 2 long trips a year,of which I did just fine on a 250 ninja,I really like the 250cc and am wanting to get back there just in a dualsport way this time,but look what Dennis did on his LiL Ninja!